Reach of the Empire OOC

By Edgehawk, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

6 hours ago, Imperial Stormtrooper said:

Could the 2 advantage let another attempt happen at some point later?

The Advantage can permit another attempt at a later time, or you may use one of your data spikes to immediately Succeed with 1 Success (no chance of failure, but no benefits for additional Successes; if you choose to do this, I would ask that you still roll again, as Advantage, Triumph, Threat and Despair will still be in play.

7 hours ago, SithArissa said:

Cani has only slightly less computing skill...

Briar has talents that removed a Difficulty and a Setback. It would have been a Hard check with an Upgrade and a Setback for Cani. A skilled assist would not work in this case, but two heads can still be better than one. If Briar elects to attempt again at a later time, Cani can add a Boost.

To do list:

• Datapad to hack
  • Prisoner to interrogate
  • Mounts to inspect and requisition
  • Blackwind Crater/ Pirates to locate
2 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

To do list:

• Prisoner to interrogate

Looks at Coercion skill and Talents, well I am bad cop. Who wants to be good Cop.

Well, You and the doc are the ones who are good at this sort of thing, and I don't think either of you are good cop. Maybe just double down on the intimidating and make the burly guy with the machine gun look friendly?

I think Veitra has Charm so she could be Good Cop.

"I've seen what these guys can do, they're going easy on you. Give up now before it's too late" is pretty much the extent of my "good cop."

(I mean I could do it, maybe pass a Boost along? Cuz if the burly guy with the machine gun is seemingly scared for the prisoner, that might get the point across)

I think that fear (will keep the local systems in line!) is our best bet dealing with this guy. I don't think that he has the loyalty or stamina to stand up to "interrogation" from an inquisitor and ISB torturer. Especially as he probably knows no one is coming for him.

We are The Empire, we don't have good cops.

14 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

The Advantage can permit another attempt at a later time, or you may use one of your data spikes to immediately Succeed with 1 Success (no chance of failure, but no benefits for additional Successes; if you choose to do this, I would ask that you still roll again, as Advantage, Triumph, Threat and Despair will still be in play.

Briar has talents that removed a Difficulty and a Setback. It would have been a Hard check with an Upgrade and a Setback for Cani. A skilled assist would not work in this case, but two heads can still be better than one. If Briar elects to attempt again at a later time, Cani can add a Boost.

I thought if you helped with a skill you have proficiency in it upgrades the check rather than give a boost?

34 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

I thought if you helped with a skill you have proficiency in it upgrades the check rather than give a boost?

Skilled assist just uses the best skill and characteristic combination. Unskilled can provide a Boost, though.

What's first in the order of business? Is the doc gonna stick around for the interrogation, or are we gonna head out and check out the animals?

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

What's first in the order of business? Is the doc gonna stick around for the interrogation, or are we gonna head out and check out the animals?

The shuttle can accommodate both the slicing and the interrogation, which will hopefully provide some insight into locating the pirates/Blackwind crater.

These things could be accomplished en route to the expedition outpost where the mounts are kept.

2 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

The shuttle can accommodate both the slicing and the interrogation, which will hopefully provide some insight into locating the pirates/Blackwind crater.

These things could be accomplished en route to the expedition outpost where the mounts are kept.

Great, so we wait the inquisitor, play bad cop - worse cop en route to the stables?

Also, @Edgehawk on torturing, if the inquisitor questions him (i guess coercion) can torture come from medicine - maybe opposed by resilience? I mean i want to strain him without causing harm, and it's medical stuff. It could cause him strain or pass on to the coercion checks

Edited by Rimsen
Added question on torture

I think in this situation it would be best to get the information as soon as possible, so I suppose I'll go with the 1 success.

Codebreaking Attempt 2 : 2eP+2eA+1eB+1eC+1eD 2 successes
p-s-a.png p-a.png a-a.png a-s.png b--.png c-th-th.png d-th.png

Not the most interesting roll, but it could have been worse.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, Rimsen said:

Great, so we wait the inquisitor, play bad cop - worse cop en route to the stables?

Also, @Edgehawk on torturing, if the inquisitor questions him (i guess coercion) can torture come from medicine - maybe opposed by resilience? I mean i want to strain him without causing harm, and it's medical stuff. It could cause him strain or pass on to the coercion checks

Just noticed the interrogation edit. I'll see what it says in ciphers and masks later, but I am thinking either Coercion or Medicine or Deception (player choice, depending on narration) vs. Resilience or Cool.

Coercion etc. are usually resisted by Discipline.

Can Hale use Brawl to "soften him up" and add Boost/Upgrades to the actual interrogators' checks?

Definitely thinking Resilience vs a Medicine-based interrogation..but I don't think it should be a straight med check either.. Maybe use the interrogator's Willpower with ranks in Medicine?

Edited by Edgehawk

I think that makes sense. I would say Coercion vs. Discipline, Medicine vs. Resilience, and, if the prisoner tries misdirection, Deception vs. Cool.

I am a big proponent of switching out characteristics to represent the situation, so Willpower/Medicine or Intellect/Coercion both sorta make sense.

We can do the interrogations as soon as the introductions are done Drogos is waiting for Veitra to respond.

3 hours ago, Shlambate said:

We can do the interrogations as soon as the introductions are done Drogos is waiting for Veitra to respond.

We aren't going to hold things up over this. A number of things will be happening at the same time, and the IC thread does not need to reflect a precise sequence of events.

@Rimsen Make a Hard check for the interrogation, using your Willpower characteristic and Medicine skill to form the dice pool. I also need you to make a Hard Discipline check.

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Can Hale use Brawl to "soften him up" and add Boost/Upgrades to the actual interrogators' checks?

The interrogation is @Rimsen 's show, and the Doctor has rank, so it will be up to the him whether or not this is to be encouraged.

Not just Rimsen, the Inquisitior has several coercion and talking based talents. But if we want to move forward we can.

1 minute ago, Shlambate said:

Not just Rimsen, the Inquisitior has several coercion and talking based talents. But if we want to move forward we can.

The doctor has rank on the stormtrooper sergeant, but certainly not on either of the force users. Your line of questioning should probably concentrate on Force-sensitivity. Your check will be a straight Coercion check, Daunting.

My first roll was not kind to me:
Interrogation - Medicine/Willpower : 2eP+1eA+3eD 1 failure, 1 advantage
p-a-a.png p--.png a-s-a.png d-f-th.png d-th.png d-f.png
I would pass on that advantage to the Inquisitors coercion as a boost if possible. - For example he spills something while taunting me that I can't break him, which the Inquisitor can jump on.

My discipline:
Interrogation - Discipline : 3eA+3eD 2 successes, 2 threat
a--.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-th.png d-th.png d-f.png

shall I wait for your interpretation or can I narrate it in IC?

Edited by Rimsen
2 hours ago, Rimsen said:

My first roll was not kind to me:
Interrogation - Medicine/Willpower : 2eP+1eA+3eD 1 failure, 1 advantage
p-a-a.png p--.png a-s-a.png d-f-th.png d-th.png d-f.png
I would pass on that advantage to the Inquisitors coercion as a boost if possible.

Feeling pressed for time, perhaps Evon misjudges the dose or timing, but the drugs take effect later during the Inquisitor's turn with the prisoner (passing a Boost to @Shlambate ).

My discipline:
Interrogation - Discipline : 3eA+3eD 2 successes, 2 threat
a--.png a-s-s.png a-s.png d-th.png d-th.png d-f.png

The good news is that Porel genuinely seems to want to talk- in his mind he has been betrayed, and your experience tells you Porel is telling the truth. You suspect there is more to be gleaned from further interrogation, details he may be neglecting to disclose, but not through willful lack of cooperation. There is also a nagging possibility that he could still be covering for Venlana, despite their violent falling out.

shall I wait for your interpretation or can I narrate it in IC?

In many cases, I appreciate it when a player takes the initiative to go ahead with an IC post, but in this case I need to let you know what Porel tells you. With the failed check, you may not get the full story, but the detainee is talking.

Porel confesses to betraying both the Zann Consortium which he works for, and the Veiled Sorority, with whom he has had contact. He maintains that he did it..

wait for it.. out of love. He has served at Venlana's side for years, and sees her potential through the distorted lens of infatuation. With the Consortium, she could never achieve top rank, but Porel thought she could rise to the very throne in the Sorority- and himself with her, as her aide...

So while ingratiating himself, leaking shipping routes and times (in Venlana's name), he was waiting for the right moment to betray the current Pirate Queen, and advocate for Venlana to fill the vacancy. Details on this part of his scheme seem a bit fuzzy.

In any case, when Venlana learned what he was doing, apparently she shut him down. Told him he was out of his mind, had overstepped his authority, was going to get them both killed. He never dreamed she would betray him to the Empire as she did in the conference room, however. Until that moment, he had deluded himself that she loved him too, in her fashion.

Use this information to post as much as you care to, in the IC.

13 hours ago, Imperial Stormtrooper said:

I think in this situation it would be best to get the information as soon as possible, so I suppose I'll go with the 1 success.

Codebreaking Attempt 2 : 2eP+2eA+1eB+1eC+1eD 2 successes
p-s-a.png p-a.png a-a.png a-s.png b--.png c-th-th.png d-th.png

Not the most interesting roll, but it could have been worse.

Using the data spike to break through the datapad's security turns out to be the right call- for they may be heading right into a trap. The interrogation has not turned up anything about the task force's current destination, but Briar thinks she has found signals location data linking Saleuquest Overland Expeditions (where they are now heading) with the Veiled Sorority. Whoever Porel had been communicating with is either there, or using their communications array, at the least. Some other information corroborates Porel's story, but this new information is now the most pressing concern. Advantages or Triumph would have given more advanced warning, so I am going to say their absence indicates only a few minutes to act on this intelligence and prepare. The shuttle is rapidly approaching its destination...

If and when we get a location of Blackwind, I'd like to take the Phantom out in stealth mode to scout the area. I know scanners wont work, but ateast get some visuals that might help us upon approach.