Legend of the Five Rings Play by Post

By tubatimb2, in Your Stories

“What? Unguarded.. oh yeah..”. Aruzhan looks around trying to spot any aesthetic irregularities between these Daidoji and other crane bushi. “Do you think they might actually be the bandits disguised as samurai? They could be stealing even now. “. Softly she worries “oh.. I wish I could see the ponies.”

They're real daidoji, as best you can tell - more importantly, even if you're not an expert on the customs and dress of the Iron Crane, there's no reason to suspect the courier, Daidoji Iwata, and he probably is - and he's been here for a day or so without concern.

No-one said the border post wasn't manned - in fact Sora gave you a letter for its commander, not expecting him to cause trouble.

But here's a thought - are the border post and the border the same thing?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"How many guards? Well Hekasu it looks like 6."

The big ronin looks up and frowns.

Softly, "None of this makes sense to me. The new puzzle pieces just confuse me rather than bring clarity...We start with Flint Quay Village. Even the farmers there are seasoning their food with spices. I know a samurai should not concern himself with money, but a ronin must learn some things. I am confident that they shouldn't be able to afford that. The spices normally come from the Mantis Isles through Yasuki middlemen. So something weird is happening in Flint Quay. Either they have a sweetheart deal with someone, or shenanigans of some stripe have taken place. Flint Quay then gets assaulted by Kamaza the Jaw-Cracker. A tough ronin, but not one I have heard of as a great leader of men. So probably he got his orders from somewhere. My first thought would have to be the Yasuki, who would have a reason to resent Cranes moving into their trade. But!" Yoshi lowers his voice again, "Despite that there are rumors that the Daidoji and the Yasuki are cooperating to artificially raise prices on medicinal spices. Maybe the first time those two families have worked together since..." Yoshi reaches "I dunno ... Genji the Shining Prince??? I admit my history isn't that good."

"Now we're sitting on a boarder that's usually undefended with someone looking for a handout from us. Why are they here? Is it just for the festival or is it something else? Has Ito-sama somehow managed to get at cross purposed to the Daidoji family? I don't understand."

"I only understand that I was moved by meeting Ito-sama, and agreed to take on the duty of transporting the ronin's so Koharu can more properly equip his ashigaru in the face of further troubles."

Turning to Kenshin, "I am sorry our own problems threaten to impact you. We are traveling the same road and I fear you have not been well served by our company."

You don't have the answer to everything, but I fear you may be conflating several seperate issues...

Kenshin - one thing you might offer is that; as per Daidoji Kyouka's letter, if a Daidoji is the other half of the cartel pushing the prices up, it's not the Daidoji as a whole - it's not a sanctioned policy, and the moneys aren't ending up in the Trading Council's purse.

Yoshi - According to Shingen - and also according to Korishu, who has no particular reason to lie - Shingen's men are here to man the border post by properly sanctioned orders. Someone is supposed to be here - you got a letter from Sora to them. Shingen's hinted threats are specific to your situation; there is a possible question over the horses and he knows you're in a rush, so you don't really have a chance to debate or argue. Lies (which Shingen was reading) famously says something about forcing people to make decisions quickly so they can't spot a way past, out of, or around your trap, I belive.

Hekasu - Since you've left the post (thanks to a risky but ultimately successful idea - barring a painful wound) before having your papers stamped, you've not officially started crossing the border post. And Kazama didn't attack Flint Quay - he and his men were wanting to winter there for the rainy season. Feeding them during the rains would have starved half the peasants and wrecked the village even more than the battle did, but the actual fighting started when the locals tried to eject the interlopers.

Aruzhan - you're a fair way inland now. Allowing for two or three guards to be off-duty to eat or sleep at any given time, and one guard to man the border post, how effective do you think two to three guards would be at patrolling the edge of the woods all the way between here and the golden river?

Advice for everyone - don't get the actions of a Daidoji confused with official policy of the Daidoji family, and don't confuse a border post with the border as a whole.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Shifting a little, Hekasu moves to his knees, sitting on upright on his legs. The effort causes him to wince, but he shakes his head to try and push the pain aside. "I don't know this Kazama Jaw-Breaker... But didn't Ito-sama and the lovely Koharu-san say something about throwing him out of the village? I don't think he attacked them, just that the village couldn't spare the resources to allow him and his men to winter there."

Kenshin shook his head.

No, it is fine. As a member of the party, I would like to hear about the concerns you all have.

He bowed to them.

Regarding the spice... I can share with you that from my letter, I have learnt that it is not the Daidoji... rather not the official Daidoji who are doing it, if they are even involved.

(( I don’t know. How big a deal would it be for us to cross the border without getting our papers marked? As I recall, the person on the crab side isn’t usually that attentive anyway, correct? At the same time, isn’t it imperial law that we should get our papers marked, making it dishonorable not to do so? Even if we were to try to cross the border, we need to talk the garrison into giving all the horses and items back.))

Yeah, I'm with Aruzhan on this one. IC, it'll not occur to Hekasu to skirt the border post instead of properly going through. The ronin of Nanashi Mura get to govern themselves because of their adherence to the law. So if that's correct, that the law dictates properly passing through the port, then that's what Hekasu's going to do. I guess that puts me wondering if the only options are: Pay bribe, don't pay and have the horses seized, or break Imperial law.[/quote]

The horses are currently just tied up at the watering trough; they're not locked away anywhere.

As to the Imperial law on the topic, Recall (Earth)/Government TN1

“Well if the horses are ready then so am I. Hekasu-San, don’t argue and let me help you onto the horse, due to your injured arm. There’s no point to wasting any time here while we’ve got a man hurt.” Aruzhan impatiently stomps over to the horses and begins to untie them from the post. “I saw a path in the woods a short way back. Perhaps if we follow that we can find someone who can be of better help to Hekasu-San”

Edited by Black_Rabbit_Inle

Kenshin nodded.

I see. Is there anything I can help in?

Finally getting to his feet, Hekasu approaches the horses with a quizzical look. "I don't know that 'into the woods' is a regular strategy to find a healer..."

Government 0/Earth 1:

792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 .

Well hot diggity.

A Samurai - or anyone, really - entering the territory of a lord is obliged to present themselves to that lord (or their official representative). That's the basic premise of the law, and hence the underlying principles of the various convoluted

actual laws in any given province.

Seeking approval (either before entering or immediately on entering) to trespass on someone's lands is therefore an obligation . Being authorised to leave them is a courtesy.

(and one which, with Ito Sora's signed papers in your pocket, you could argue you've fulfilled. Shingen himself said they were 'more than adequate')

As to wandering the woods - you've no reason to believe Yasuki Niko, who should be on the road coming the other way, is a healer, but according to Shingen there's somewhere called 'Peaceful Mooring Inn' that sounds like it's less than a day's ride along the road the other side of the border.

Kenshin - one thing you probably need to figure out is horses . You can ride Wildfire - which will require the previously suggested juggling of packs - as it's not likely you're going to be able to talk Shingen into giving you a remount if you're then going to bypass 'his' border post in crossing the border, and Iwata needs his to carry your letter back.

Yoshi looks at everyone. Looks like maybe he's going to say something. Then shrugs and moves to either start shifting loads or help Hekasu into the saddle...

((To be clear, searching for medical help is an excuse to leave with some urgency, Aruzhan fully intends to simply use the trail to go around the border post. Also, Aruzhan intends to ride wildfire at this point, leaving the fully equipped horses for the less experienced riders.))

You should probably tell someone you're going and why, but you could tell Korishu - or even leave a message via Iwata - rather than going back to Shingen himself.

I'm not going to make you make a check for redoing the packs - I might ask for a horsemanship check for Aruzhan, who'll be riding without a saddle, and for Hekasu, who's wounded - once you set off, though.

Also, just to make things clear, since decisions appear to have been made:

Everyone's passed all the checks and got all the clues - so on the off chance there's still a bit of confusion I thought I might pass a quick explanation if needed.

Daidoji Shingen's area of authority is " the Seido Hikora Torii Gate border post ", which is the official crossing point for 'VIPs'.

Not the border as a whole, which isn't guarded (as Koharu said) and which he doesn't actually have the authority (or frankly the manpower) to interdict even if he wanted to.

He was hoping to get you to have your documents stamped by him for 'processing' as that officially puts you within his authority, but otherwise, if someone rides straight past his post without crossing the border at the Seido Hikora Torii Gate, there's legally bugger all he can do about it (hence the cart tracks) but he's not going to tell you that..

(This thread may set the scene if you've not read it: A bag of sweets )

Edited by Magnus Grendel

After waiting for a moment for an answer for Aruzhan, once none seems forthcoming as she's rearranging the packs on the horses, Hekasu attempts to assist. He quickly realizes that he's not being particularly helpful due to the fresh pain, and resigns himself to resting against the hitching post and waiting.

"How far a ride is it, anyhow?" he asks to nobody in particular.

Kenshin looks at the horses, wondering which he should ride.

Does anyone need help?

He quickly asks, feeling guilty for causing Hekasu to be unable to help.

Since you're theoretically "nothing to do with the others" as far as Shingen's concerned, Kenshin is probably the ideal person to go pass on the message to Iwata. It also gives you a chance to pass on any last (verbal) messages for Kyouka.

If you would like, I can speak to Iwata-san, to tell him about our departure?

Kenshin then asked the group.

After wasting time at the border post and seeing one of her traveling companions hurt, Aruzhan is clearly ready to leave as soon as possible, and is in no mood for answering questions. “If it weren’t for the corrupt nature of the samurai here, Hekasu-san would not be injured now. I see no reason to tell them anything.” She mutters as she’s shifting the packs.

either way, it's up to you. Once you've done whatever you're doing, let me know and we'll end scene.

"I don't disagree, though I would not place too much blame on Daidoji-sama for my virtually self-inflicted injury."

Yes. Please tell them we’re off. We’ll wait a moment here. Then we ride.”

Kenshin takes a moment to inform the courier, Daidoji Iwata, of the quartet's intentions, asking him to tell Daidoji Shingen once they are gone.

The ronin mount, leading their horses back onto the Merchant Road, then - with a degree of satisfaction in some cases - pointedly turning off the road before it reaches the shrine and following the outlines left by peasant wagons circumventing the border post. Shingen is sat back under the portico, evidently awaiting the ronin's return after 'settling matters' in the duel, and does not look happy to see them bypass him - but neither he nor his men move to stop you.

Iwata approaches and talks to him briefly, and his expression grows even more unhappy, but he waves the courier off, as the ronin rejoin the Daidoji Merchant Road amongst the trees on the far side of the border. A minute or so later the courier mounts his own horse and leaves to the north, carrying Ito Sora and Kenshin's letters. As the ronin follow the road along a gentle curve eastwards towards the river, they gradually lose sight of the border post. The last thing visible is Seido Hikora itself, before it too disappears from view.

Despite the forest, the road remains well-maintained - the chalk road itself now lined with a low calf-high wall of stones to avoid drifting leaves from the dense trees covering it.

We'll 'end scene' there - anyone with strife can reduce it to half composure and fatigue to half endurance. The next scene will be a narrative scene. We'll assume you're far enough into the woods that you can stop to try and treat Hekasu's wound if you like. Otherwise it's basically a choice between sitting here waiting for Yasuki Niko, or actively pressing on to meet her further up the road (and hence get to Peaceful Mooring Inn faster).