Legend of the Five Rings Play by Post

By tubatimb2, in Your Stories

yes - see above:

On 6/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, Magnus Grendel said:

Kenshin - you're doing a night-time 'forced march' yomp on a good road over a fairly long distance, which is going to be more an issue of endurance than anything else. I'll call that TN2 Fitness/Withstand (Earth)

rolled 1 skill 1 ring, both were opportunity

Peering from under his straw hat in the tiring heat of the early afternoon as he clears the last low hill and begins to cross an open meadow, Kenshin sees a familiar quartet of horses drinking from a stone water-trough in the distance - Aruzhan, Hekasu and Yoshi-no-Kaze must have overtaken him in one of the last few valleys as the road curled around the hills, when he finally made a brief stop to drink.

The border post is a small block-house and an adjoining stables, built in smooth unpainted willow next to the merchant road where it disappears into a dense woodland. A large Torii gate straddles the chalk merchant road, presumably denoting the exact border. On the opposite side of the merchant road, little over the height of a standing man, he can see a small shrine elegantly painted and roofed in glazed-blue terracotta tiles.

The trio of ronin on horse are perhaps half an hour ahead, and are recovering from their journey and presenting themselves to the Daidoji guards.

The garrison is not large - only half a dozen soldiers aside from their commander, but all samurai and samurai-ko rather than ashigaru. The three on duty wear armour polished to a silvered sheen, with blue lacquered silk kirtles and helms decorated with cranes-wing details and beak-like mempo iconic to the Iron Crane. Each carries a brutal-looking naginata as well as a sheathed daisho. Their commander kneels at a table under the portico of the block-house, able to see the border and much of the valley, reading calmly from a large book.

There smell of cooking and voices issue forth from the block-house behind him; the off-duty trio are having a late lunchtime meal cooked by a heimin servant.

Across the way, a balding samurai in a light kimono with a blue tabard is kneeling and praying at the shrine.

Kenshin - you have one earth

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 to spend. With a shortfall of 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 compared to the other three's success, you're going to be a fair way behind them. Essentially, you're going to miss the first narrative part of the scene.

Aruzhan, Yoshi, Hekasu - you can look around:

• survival/survey (water) will spot things in the surrounding countryside - including, amongst others, Kenshin...
  • theology/analyse (air) to go and investigate the shrine
  • tactics/analyse (air) to look at the soldiers and their disposition
  • government/survey or skulduggery/survey to give the post itself a once-over
  • any other logical skill/approach combination you can suggest
  • go and present yourself to the Daidoji commander

Looking for a moment at the shrine, Hekasu considers his priorities. While he knows he should report immediately, he reasons it is unlikely that the commander would begrudge him a pious moment. Deciding to collect himself after the ride, Hekasu makes his way to the shrine.

I've got a busy weekend, so I may not be on to post any today or tomorrow, so that's why I chose to step aside to the shrine. I don't want to hold anything up.

Theology 0, Air 3: 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 . Ugh strife management's a bee-sting. I want the opp, so keeping one success and the opp.

Resolve strife: 7/8.

Resolve opp: Learn something about the person that built 'the item' you're studying. Hoping I can learn something about the founder of the shrine.

Resolve success: 1.

The shrine is dedicated to Hikora, Fortune of the Oak, who watches over woodworkers, wooded regions, those travelling through the woods, and especially those who get lost in them. It appears quite old - if anything, older than the rest of the border post (though the Torii gate straddling the road looks worn enough to be of similar age). Hekasu takes a few moments to pray at the shrine; the idea of a spirit watching over him if he somehow gets lost in the dense trees rather appealing.

Interestingly, the glazed tiles show an unusual design - a stylized bird mon impressed in each tile. The tiles are too old, too worn, and have been re-glazed too many times to see much detail, though. Hekasu initially assumes to be a crane before realising the legs are far too short, the neck too thick, and the beak too nastily hooked at the tip, to be the Crane Clan's iconic symbol.

The other samurai is wearing practical, hard-wearing riding clothes under a loose tabard with the symbols of the Daidoji, but wears only a wakizashi and doesn't have the look of a bushi about him.

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : the shrine is old - as in, several centuries old, probably. The mon on the tiles is not a crane clan mon - for all that it looks like one at first glance thanks to the blue glaze - and nor is it a crab clan one, implying a builder from neither clan. Hekasu doesn't recognise the design.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

On the ride over Yoshi spent at least some time sharing the letters with Hekasu and making sure they get rolled up properly. "Look! Ito-sama says nice things about us here."

Yoshi is all too happy to get off the horses and stretch when we all reach the guards. Yoshi then bows greetings as he discretely gives the location a once over. " Naginatas. I wish I had a one..."

((Water/survey2 skulduggery3 gets me ... two successes, a blank, an explosion with strife, and an option with strife. I keep the two successes.))

((Yoshi would also be good at Tactics Air if no one else wants to do it. Aruzhan, do you want that one or shall i do that too?))

(( in order to survey the surrounding countryside, I would roll 3 water and 1 survival.. on the initial roll I get 2 exploding successes with strife, 1 success, and an opportunity on the white die.. is there reason for me to get more than 2 successes on this roll? If so, I would keep all the successes on the first roll and my exploding dice net another exploding success with strife and a regular success with strife, this gives me 5 successes and 4 strife on the roll... I mean, I don’t think I need to explode again, right.. hmm.. I think I’d better go off to the shrine and meditate before making any social confrontations for the scene.))

Arriving at the way station, Aruzhan takes a moment to enjoy the scenery of this new land. She breathes in deeply and closes her eyes as she gains a sense of the place. Opening her eyes again she notes the subtle changes in environment that just a few miles difference can make. At first glance, this area may not seem so different from the woods where the trio of ronin had made camp the night before, but a closer inspection reveals the trees slowly growing larger and older as the ronin move along the road. The songs of the wood finch slowly give way to the songs of the bush warbler and on the road not to far back, a familiar ronin is spotted under new circumstances.

As Aruzhan sees Kenshin approaching she stares in silence, with regret pouring into her mind. She should have done more to extend compassion to this traveling ronin.. and perhaps, among this trio, she is the only one who can truly understand what it means, to have had everything and lost it. To lose one’s clan.. to lose one’s faith.. it’s no easy ride. Perhaps this is a rare second opportunity to do things the right way. Once again, Aruzhan closes her eyes and listens, this time she ignores the singing birds and the wind blowing through the trees.. she listens for only one thing.. the guidance of the kami themselves.. but it seems they still refuse to offer her guidance. Aruzhan says softly to herself “If they will not speak, I will speak for them”. Finally Aruzhan goes to the shrine offers a donation and prayers, and finally meditates.

The stark white chalk of the Merchant Road cuts through the border post, and passes arrow-straight through the centre of the Torii gate, but about ten metres before it reaches it, Yoshi notices the grass at the left hand side is slightly disturbed. His eyes follow the disturbance in the meadow-grass as he exchanges bows with the closest of the Iron Crane, realising it describes a gentle curve from in front of the Torii gate to a similar distance behind it, passing 'behind' the shrine where Hekasu and Aruzhan are praying, before rejoining the Merchant road some distance behind in the woods.

It takes him a moment to place the marks before he realises they are wheel-ruts from carts - a track 'bypassing' the border post by little more than a spear's-length, and clearly in full view of it - but that the dense grass of the meadow has never been cut back as it has around the border post, resulting in two gentle dips in the landscape and patches of not-quite-full-grown grass; blatantly obvious but apparently ignored.

Straightening, the guard walks over, naginata rested on one shoulder but no doubt able to be dropped into a fighting stance in a moment. His head is cocked to one side as if slightly puzzled why Yoshi is approaching him.

" Greetings. Trading Council warrants or letters of passage, please, samurai-san ." He demands, extending one armoured gauntlet to the Ronin.

Praying at the shrine, Aruzhan has taken stock of the wildlands. The grass in the region is increasingly parched, and the few patches of soil drying clay. The plants are still healthy - for now - but the morning dew has sunk into it like ink into cheap silk, and it cannot be many days before the rains must come if the plants are to survive. Fortunately, the blooming of green lichen on the northern-side of the trees suggests traces of damp in the air - still too subtle for humans to notice, but enough to begin to wake the spirits of the forest plants from their summer slumber.

In the vicinity of the border post, a small well has been sunk to provide water for the garrison and their horses, and clearly the grass and low flowering shrubs are treated to a few pails of water, as are the small trees in the closest vicinity of the shrine to Hekora.

As she approaches, the other Daidoji samurai finishes his devotions, bows again, and leaves. She notes him briefly inspect Yoshi and Hekasu before starting casually back towards the block-house, but a little under halfway their, he also notices Kenshin and changes direction to head over to the stables instead.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"Of course. Of course." Yoshi bows and fishes out the letters taking a moment to wonder if Hekasu and Aruzhan have figured something out about the shrine that Yoshi isn't picking up. Passing the the travel papers over, "This is our first time this way. We are hoping to catch the Cloud Festival. A humble ronin would be grateful for any guidance from the honorable Crane samurai if there are local customs one should be aware of."

While wondering what local *deal* has been reached for carts of *something* to pass through unnoticed, Yoshi also pauses to look at the (presumably) honorable Cranes guarding the border.

((Air 3/Tactics 1. Checking out the guards. I roll a blank, a success, an option with strife and an explosion with strife. I keep the success and the explosion. Explosion turns into another success. Giving me 3 success and 1 strife.))

Kenshin continues to walk, spotting the party ahead of him. As he walks, he takes out the letter he had received, preparing to show it to the guards if needed.

The Daidoji guard opens the ronin's travel papers, and reads them carefully, before nodding, folding them precisely, and returning them to Yoshi. He repeats the exercise with the other two letters - he reads them quickly, but Yoshi notes he actually does take time to read them rather than simply glancing at them.

"You should be well in time for the festival and its markets, Yoshi-no-Kaze-san. As to arriving in Uimi Mura time for the start of the festival, if you wish to compete in the tournaments....that is in the hands of the Kami, but whilst you need not ride with desperate urgency, I would advise you to travel relatively swiftly, for I cannot imagine you have many days to cross the woods. If you have not visited Crab lands before...then you should be careful to hold to your On, for the crab are quick to speak their mind, even to what others might call discourtesy, but there is always honesty to their words. There has been peace between the clans for many years."

"One danger you should be warned of, though, is that there are bandits in the woods on the far side of the border; any dense wildlands draws bandits like a Lord draws flattery, but here there is more to it. A force of bandits who tried to seize a village in crane lands last year were driven off by our Gunso, and it is believed some two dozen survivors of the action fled south across the border. The Yasuki have sent no word that a bandit force of such size has been destroyed, but finding such a small force in dense woodland is no small matter. I gather that there have been occasional reports of far smaller groups of bandits attacking carts on the Merchant Road between here and Yasuki Yashidi. I think perhaps the group fragmented after the battle."

The guard's naginata shifts slightly into a more relaxed stance, and he steps back from Yoshi. Half turning, he announces to his comrades that you are acting as couriers for Ito no Asahina Sora, and to call one of the attendants to see to your horses.

"When your fellows are finished at Seido Hikora, I will present you to Daidoji Shingen-san, our Nikutai, and Daidoji Iwata-san, a clan courier currently staying at the border post."

For the sake of not repeating myself several times, I'm going to assume Yoshi presented

everyone's papers since they'd all be in Wildfire's saddlebags together (except Kenshin's, of course).

The guards are not second-line garrison troops but have the look of hardened veterans. Presumably, when the border post's men last needed relief, the closest unit to draw replacements from was the Guntai of soldiers Ito Sora called in to drive off Kazama's ronin, so they simply detached a squad from it before their fellows left for whatever post they had originally been headed for.

You get the impression they are keeping to their discipline and training - they must have been here all summer, but their weapons and armour are in perfect condition, and they look as battle-ready as any bushi you have seen, but are also somewhat frustrated.

The guard seemed genuinely puzzled that you rode up to the border station, but that puzzlement seems to have abated when he saw Sora's letters of passage.

Hekasu finishes his study of the shrine, gives a few prayers for the health of a firefly, and then joins Yoshi, noticing that he's holding all the travel papers.

"Thank you, Yoshi-san. Greetings, Daidoji-sama." He bows appropriately. "I'm certain Aruzhan-san will be along presently."

As Aruzhan joins the trio, the balding courier has entered the lean-to stables next to the border post and retrieved a small bundle of papers, closed with expensive-looking blue silk and a wax seal showing a crane holding a spear with a snake wrapped round the haft; the Daidoji family mon. He walks back, watching the somewhat weary-looking figure of Kenshin trudging up the Merchant Road, and bows to the guards and three ronin.

The Iron Crane bows more deeply in return, and makes an introductory gesture encompassing the three.

"Daidoji-san," the guard announces, "may I present Yoshi-no-Kaze-san, Hekasu-san, and Aruzhan-san, three samurai in service to Ito no Asahina Sora of Flint Quay Village. Samurai-san, may I present Daidoji Iwata-san, clan courier by appointment to the Daidoji Trading Council of Lonely Shore City."

""Thank you, Korishu-san." he says to the Iron Crane guardsman, before turning back to the ronin. " It is a pleasure to meet you. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Ito-sama in person, but I have often passed close to his lands." The courier responds. "And I suspect this," he turns, bowing slightly to the last arriving ronin, "to be Kenshin-no-Tsuma, whom I have been waiting for."

With two of you having taken time out to pray, and Yoshi taking the Daidoji guard through your letters of passage, I'm going to say that Kenshin is - just - arriving. Iwata has noticed him because he's been specifically waiting for him - or at least someone matching his description (Kenshin won't have met him before but he'll have been given a pretty accurate description of the ronin; straw hat, scarf, style of robes, general build).

Aruzhan - forgot to mention; no, there's no need for multiple 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 . Since you got a water 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 on the check, you might want to consider keeping it to reduce your strife.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"Ah yes, Kakita Kenshin. Welcome," Hekasu gives him a bow. "We met along the way and he certainly introduced himself. I didn't notice we passed you, Kakita -sama."

Just tell me what the honor hit is.

Kenshin bows to everyone.

A pleasure meeting everyone again.

He said, still smiling at them all.

And yes, I am Kenshin.

The male replied to the courier.

You have something for me...?

Aruzhan steps between Hekasu and Kenshin and offers a deep bow. “ please forgive the outburst Kenshin-San, but the kami have been speaking to me. They insist that we should travel together from here. Horses travel in bands because it makes their path easier, We will also be a band.”

Well that clears up half of everything I suppose.

"Iwaka-sama. Our pleasure." Yoshi bows respectfully in response to meeting the courtier.

"Kenshin-san!" The big ronin looks him up and down with approval ... and just a little bit of amusement. " Well. If Aruzhan has spoken about spirits or horses I guess that's settled. I try not to argue with experts in their fields. ... So. ..." he just can't quite help himself , "How was the walk? "

Then, almost like it's an afterthought. "The honorable Daidoji just did us the favor of warning me about possible brigands in the woods ahead. One has hopes we will pass through without incident. But if the Fortunes will otherwise I believe, " Yoshi spares a sympathetic glance at Hekasu, " a fourth sword would be most welcome."

Edited by Void Crane

Daidoji Iwata raises one eyebrow but otherwise shows little reaction to Hekasu or Kenshin's behaviour.

"My commission was from Councillor Daidoji Kyouka-sama, Kenshin-san, and I do indeed have both a letter and some papers for you." The courier says, proffering the bundle of papers to Kenshin. "If there is to be a reply, I will await it after you have been met Daidoji Shingen-san."

Kenshin takes the papers from him, and Daidoji Iwata bows to the ronin and to Daidoji Korishu, before withdrawing to the blockhouse. Daidoji Korishu has obviously decided or been asked to allow Kenshin to read the papers before he approaches the border post, and stands patiently at ease.

The first letter proves to be a letter of sponsorship to enter the tournaments being held to accompany the 'First Clouds' festival at Uimi Mura, addressed to Nobuto Tohashiro, steward of the village, from Daidoji Kyouka, asking to allow ronin to enter in addition to the arranged field of mostly Great Clan samurai contestants.

The second is a more personal letter, addressed to "Shin-san". It expresses relief - since in reading it, it proves the reader has received it, and hence reached the border out of Crane lands safely. Safety, it observes, is in short supply in the Crane Clan's domains at the moment.

It describes open fighting in the north - "skirmishing around Toshi Ranbo and the Osari Plains has intensified after the death of Akodo Arasou-san at the hands of Doji-ue" the letter says, "and now we have received word that Doji Kunawan-sama, brother of Doji-ue, is missing and presumed captured or killed by the Lion clan". Daidoji Kyouka further notes that both sides have been hiring ronin to support their unofficial war effort such that " Nanashi Mura must sit half-empty ". Even behind the battle-lines, there has been trouble - the Lion Clan are claimed to have been involved in an incident at Kyotei in the Golden Valley, leading to the death of Tsume no Doji Takashi, former lord of Kyotei Castle, whilst there has also been further trouble at the Topaz Championship in Tsuma, nearly leading to the death of one of the contestants.

On top of this, " as you know ", the letter says, Daidoji Kyouka herself was the subject of an assassination attempt which cost the life of her Kakita yojimbo. In light of the concerns about her safety, she says she " is unable to attend the 'First Clouds' festival herself as she had hoped " but that that duty has instead fallen to the sons of Daidoji Geda, the Trading Council's ambassador to Yasuki Yashidi. She hopes that the reader will take the opportunity to attend and compete, as a creditable performance in one of the tournaments is the best way she can think of in the region to begin establishing a reputation as a samurai of note. She finishes by mentioning that the Kakita academy is insisting, " with surprising determination ", given that she is remaining at Mura Sabishii Toshi, that she be assigned a replacement Kakita yojimbo " to ensure her protection ", and although no name has yet been recommended, she " has an unpleasant suspicion that the decision is not being made on skill with the blade alone ".

Off topic stuff and checks:

Kyouka

Unless Kenshin chooses to explain who she is anyway, anyone passing a TN1 commerce/recall (earth) check will recognise Daidoji Kyouka's name, and anyone with 2+ ranks in the skill can consider the check trivial (TN0).

Either way, she is the youngest and lowest ranking member of the Daidoji Trading Council - but unlike the gaggle of 'deputies', 'advisors' and 'special representatives' loitering around Mura Sabishii Toshi, she is a full voting member of the Trading Council . She's probably not - quite - in Ide Arban's league for status but she's not far off from the perspective of a ronin, and the difference is going to be mostly social status rather than commercial clout.

Kenshin

Since there's two separate letters he'll be passing back and forth as he reads and using both hands. Characters with Vigilance 3 or more will notice a faint but still visible scar or burn across the back of his right hand, going from the knuckle of his index finger right down to the back of his wrist. Given its size and breadth, it must have been a particularly nasty injury, but it doesn't seem to have dramatically impacted the use of the hand.

The Letters

Anyone reading the sponsorship letter can make a composition/scrutiny (air) check at TN1 to pick at the subtext. I would recommend doing this.

Obviously Kenshin is aware that the description of the death of Kyouka's yojimbo is - not entirely accurate? - but clearly this is the 'official' line, and will be what happened as far as anyone else is concerned unless you or Kyouka choose to fill in the extra details.

Honour adjustments

Okay, so that happened.

@Hida Jitenno :

• Raking over something which might have been an honest mistake is something more forgivable between friends but less so between people who've barely met.
  • Probably as important is raking it over in front of two higher status samurai, to whom offering a ronin Clan Family honorifics is likely to be a bigger deal.
  • You're not insulting them directly or using 'coarse language' but it is intended as direct insult to Kenshin, who is going to be of equal status (I'm not sure off the top of my head and frankly not bothered what your exact respective status is, you're both ronin, so it's close enough).
  • That's potentially a major breach of courtesy , which would be a loss of Honour Rank x 2 , with no modifiers for clan background.
  • That feels a bit harsh, but it was intentional. Hopefully Hekasu's got it out of his system.....

@Von3679

• I'm actually going to point out a breach of Courtesy on Kenshin's part too, here. You don't really need to introduce yourself per se, having been 'introduced' by Daidoji Iwata, but "A pleasure to meet everyone again" implicitly excludes the people you've not met before, who are the two highest status people in the conversation . Added to a lack of honorifics for Daidoji Iwata when demanding the letters, that's probably good for counting as a trivial breach of courtesy , which would be a loss of 1 Honour , with no modifiers for clan background.

@Void Crane

• By comparison, I'm going to let this one pass; he's trying to help, it's in keeping with his 'response to stress' answer and intended in good humour - and after all, Kenshin did deliberately choose to walk.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Kenshin thanks the courier, bowing.

Thank you very much. Apologies for my... rudeness earlier. I... am eager. To receive this letter.

The male apologised to Iwata.

And the walk was fine.

He smiled at Yoshi. Thank you for your concern Yoshi-san. I hope your ride was fine.

He then bows to Aruzhan.

It will be my pleasure to journey with you...

The male replies before reading his letters.

As the male read through the letters, he smiled slightly at the tournament letter before his eyes hardened reading the second letter.

Daidoji-san, may I humbly request some paper, ink and a pen?

The male asked the Korishu.

If it does not trouble you, I hope I can send a letter back to the sender of this letter.

Turning to face Aruzhan, he then asked.

Aruzhan-san, I assume we are all heading to the same place...?

gotcha magnel. I didnt know this kinda actions wld affect scores :P. Too used to playin sw, where there are no such values. Will keep it in mind!

:) And rolled a air check, got 2blank, 1 success, for the subtext in the tournament letter. If it applies to me XD.

Consider it equivalent to Conflict in SWRPG Force & Destiny . Trivial breaches aren't too bad, so don't worry too much unless you keep hitting them, but, yes, courtesy is one of the bushido tenets and you can take serious knocks to your honour score for messing with it, especially if you had had a clan background which counts it for double penalties.

If there's a big knock or boost one way or the other, I'll let you know before calling people on it ( @Hida Jitenno was fully aware what Hekasu was doing was going to hurt his honour score, but felt it was what the ronin would do).

Re the sponsorship letter:

Yes and no, but there's no reason you shouldn't make the check; you will be the first person reading it, after all.

• The letter is deliberately vague about who it's sponsoring but carefully worded to avoid making that obvious.
  • This is presumably because Kyouka didn't know what name you might be going under by the time you get to Uimi Mura
  • As a result, it's not enormously clear that she (presumably) intended it to cover only a single individual, and a convincing manner, some hand-waving and a bit of fast talking could potentially parlay it into presumed sponsorship for everyone , which would make entering the varying contests a lot easier for clanless ronin like yourselves.
  • One thing it does make clear is that you're not the 'official' Daidoji-sponsored competitor. If there is one, then the official Crane representative - Daidoji Geda or his son(s) - will supply them, so people can't get any preferential access or ceded position in the competition out of the sponsorship.

ah ok, gotcha thanks[\spoiler]

The Daidoji guard nods slightly.

"I am sure Daidoji Shingen-san would be happy to oblige." he says. " If you would all follow me, I will present you and we can make your border crossing....'official'. May I quickly look over your travel-papers, Kenshin-san? I feel Daidoji Iwata-san has vouchsafed your identity by default, but redundant or not, it is still my duty to inspect the papers of those crossing at the border post."

The guard quickly reviews the travel papers Kenshin offers and returns them, before leading the quartet of ronin to the blockhouse portico.

Daidoji Shingen is still reading at the low table. The book proves, rather surprisingly, to be a copy of Bayushi's Lies , with alternate pages illustrated with beautifully-painted watercolour scenes. He wears his daisho and wears vambraces but is otherwise dressed in an off-duty fashion.

The Iron Crane Nikutai looks up, politely, as you approach, and offers a shallow bow.

"Samurai-san. I am Daidoji Shingen, commanding the Fifth Nikutai of the Second Guntai, part of the army of the Chui Daidoji Reiha." He says. "Please, sit. Daidoji Korishu-san will have dealt with the formalities, but I am curious to meet you. Since you have fortuitously timed your arrival to our midday meal, I can offer you our hospitality. It will not, I am afraid, be much; a simple ramen if we are lucky, but in my experience far better than dried fish and rice. May I ask where you are bound and why?"

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Hekasu accompanies the group, keeping himself positioned so that someone is between himself and Kenshin when there is opportunity to do so. Noting the burn scar, he shuffles that information away for later, presuming it means that the ex-Crane is weaker with that hand, and possibly stronger with his left to compensate , he thinks.

"Daidoji-nikutai," Hekasu bows, "a lunch of ramen would ease our stomachs most charitably. I would be happy to share treats in recompense." He withdraws a pouch of sweets from his traveling pack and offers them to Shingen.

Hekasu is just about compromised, his main goal in life is to

be a Crane, and he ran into someone who claimed to be one, then reneged on that. Given that his favored unmasking is challenge to a duel, and Kenshin claimed to be a Kakita, I think it's not quite out of his system yet. But yes, once it's settled, it'll be settled. I won't be harping it for the rest of ever.

Right this moment, he's got something courtier-esque to focus on though, so immediately, he should make it through lunch if I don't get another strife or two.

Also, I'm assuming the military rank can be used in the manner I just did, but if not, let me know.

Daidoji-san. A pleasure to meet you.

Kenshin bowed before the male, before taking a seat.

A bowl of ramen will be more than enough, I thank you for your hospitality. I regret that I however am unable to offer you anything...

He smiled at the male, bowing again.

I... am currently headed to the tournament at the ‘First Clouds’ festival. If I could, I would wish to humbly request some writing materials, as I would like to reply the sender of these letters.

The male then requested, showing the letters to the male.

Edited by Von3679

Someone said lunch!

Yoshi bows respectfully. " A humble ronin should never complain about a full plate of noodles. Thank you for your generosity Daidoji-sama. I believe we are all hoping to make it to the First Clouds festival. "

((Okay, I have 2 ranks in commerce & Earth 3 so rolling Kyouka's name gets me ...2 success with strife, 2 explosions with strife and an option. That's a lot of potential strife .... But I'll keep the two explosions and the option. I then roll a blank and another option. Leaving me at 2 successes, 2 strife and 2 options. I'll use the options to negate the strife.

Its not totally clear to me if Yoshi can discretely read the letters Kenshin is reading without looming over him. Yoshi wouldn't necessarily butt in if Kenshin shows any sign of wanting privacy. Still the big guy is curious. I roll composition0 Air3 and come up with: a success, an option with strife and a blank. I keep the one success and the option. I use the option to do it subtly! Yoshi is just so smooth scanning documents as he talks a little about appreciating noodles!))