IA Continuity Project - Our Community-Focused Effort to Improve Skirmish

By cnemmick, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

No, I don't!

I just hoped for a more precise answer to that question. When everybody keeps talking about " that power creep since Jabba", I keep thinking of Ko-Tun and Jarrod, of Tress and CT-1701, and how they dominated the competitive Meta ... not.

There is not that power creep. It's just some cards. And in my opinion, the problem is more on the Command cards side than on the deployment cards side ...

1 hour ago, DerBaer said:

No, I don't!

I just hoped for a more precise answer to that question. When everybody keeps talking about " that power creep since Jabba", I keep thinking of Ko-Tun and Jarrod, of Tress and CT-1701, and how they dominated the competitive Meta ... not.

There is not that power creep. It's just some cards. And in my opinion, the problem is more on the Command cards side than on the deployment cards side ...

I definitely agree on the command card statement. There hasn't been a competitive rebel or mercenary list since jabba's realm that hasn't run either on the lam, the hunter package, or both. That's why iacp targeted those for nerfs to open up the meta in those factions

We tested your version of On The Lam in several games. In my (our) opinion, it is still Overpowered. Maybe a ban instead of an Errata would be better?

are we sure Somos at 6 won't cause trouble? he was overpriced for sure but 4 points? his ability to effectively shoot thrice per activation is brutal for pegging down a big target like Iggy or vader.

it needs to be in the meta to make hunters worth it, Imo. especially with the new offensive limitations of hunter cards. The way its toned down now seems legit.

Can I ask one thing? has FFG made a statement concerning Its future? I play the old SWCCG card game that was discontinued in 2001 when Decipher lost the Star Wars license (to ffg I think. or wizards of the coast maybe) and the game is now run (wonderfully) by a so called players committee. Star Trek CCG is run similarly. Decipher, who developed the gam, supported the PC and was all for the continuation of the game. how is this being received by FFG? is the game officially being discontinued or will there be more content released at some point?

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Can I ask one thing? has FFG made a statement concerning Its future?

They answered a question at Star Wars celebration and said they had no more content planned for IA. The skirmish game cannot live without content.

They have no incentive to acknowledge a community project either, so don’t expect them to.

Well,

5 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

They answered a question at Star Wars celebration and said they had no more content planned for IA. The skirmish game cannot live without content.

They have no incentive to acknowledge a community project either, so don’t expect them to.

Well, they do have an incentive; a happy player base. Just ask EA how things can go south if you lose that. But ok. maybe they dont realize that. Either way; if that is the official stance, then I welcome this initiative and can only encourage you guys to take a look at swccgpc.com and maybe even contact the player committee of that game for tips on how to run this. they've been doing it for almost 20 years now. I am a playtester for the organisation and I know how well such a setup can work. we release new sets (just like seasons here) every 3 months aproximately. New cards are printed out and cut out and then put into sleeves with the old cards as background. that way new content can be released and easily integrated into the existing game. everything is for free and all cards are considered official.

good luck. IA is a truly great game and I hope it will flourish under its new leadership.

7 hours ago, DerBaer said:

No, I don't!

Other than Gideon, how many times has a hero skirmish character been a big part of any competitive lists? Myself, I've been seeing a steady reduction in costs and greater numbers of abilities.

Mak, Jyn, Vinto, Onar, Drokatta, ...

2 minutes ago, DerBaer said:

Mak, Jyn, Vinto, Onar, Drokatta, ...

MHD

9 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

are we sure Somos at 6 won't cause trouble? he was overpriced for sure but 4 points? his ability to effectively shoot thrice per activation is brutal for pegging down a big target like Iggy or vader.

I've played two games of Somos at 6 (one with and one against) and I don't think so. He really kinda costs 7 because if you bring him, you're more or less obligated to bring Advanced Com Systems as well.

Okay, a bit late to the party, but I wanted to have the discussion with my local play group first--and then the FFG bomb dropped, prompting even more discussion.

So! Most importantly, I wanted to take a moment to -sincerely- thank the IACP members, particularly the face members @cnemmick and @brettpkelly . Implementing something on this scale--in both time invested and future commitment--is truly a gift to the community, regardless of what comes of it. It also takes quite a lot of courage to face the feedback, constructive and otherwise, that has (and will continue to) come from the community; pleasing everyone will be flat-out impossible no matter what you do, and when the stated goal is pretty much to improve the game for the community's enjoyment...that can start to look impossible! ; ) You don't have to do any of this. It's a -ton- of work. And at least some of the armchair-quarterback responses you will get will make it seem thankless as well.

Your timing could hardly have been better though; quite literally days after your announcement we all learned that FFG has indeed abandoned IA (Skirmish, anyway), at what amounts to a near nadir in terms of current game balance as well. I don't think it's too much hyperbole to predict that, if IA Skirmish is still being commonly played in a few years, it will largely be due to the IACP's direct efforts. So again, thank you all very much for this.

My local community has decided to adopt the IACP's house rules, with a few modifications. I'm going to encourage them to send in feedback as well, after we get a few games and tournaments in. You can certainly expect feedback and suggestions from me in a few weeks! : )

Edited by IndyPendant

I promised to take this to my gaming group as well. As of now, only SC is banned next monday - but I'll take the topic up and 'hope' people will be on board with at least giving it a chance. They do seem a bit hesitant though.

According to the IACP page, we should be done with season 1 now... is it delayed? Can't wait!!! :D

Yeah, we played some IACP on the weekend so I could still fill out another survey I guess...

I vote for Fett fix and RGC fix next... even if they are just cheaper... having lots of fun with the new cheaper prices!

On 6/18/2019 at 12:53 AM, aermet69 said:

According to the IACP page, we should be done with season 1 now... is it delayed? Can't wait!!! :D

Season 1 testing should run through June 28th. If the 21st is listed somewhere, it's a typo.

FOR EVERYONE WHO'S TRIED OUT OUR CHANGES: Please fill out our playtest feedback survey ! I'm wanting to make a post next week that summarizes our feedback results to help prepare for voting in July!

Edited by cnemmick