Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

On 5/7/2019 at 10:12 AM, player4054054 said:

@Sorastro , here is my first painted mini ever πŸŽ‰ Picture is terrible, and I know I made mistakes, but I'm super happy with the result! We played the day after, and it was really cool seeing how it looks good with a painted mini. Thanks so much for your videos, would never have tried without. Looking forward to paint the other minis (+ I also have Imperial Assault waiting patiently πŸ™„ ) and your next videos 😁

Outstanding work my friend! Nothing pleases or impresses me more than to see someone new to the hobby painting to such a nice standard, and also having the courage to share their work. (Also, if it’s any comfort, my own LOTR minis are full of inaccuracies!) πŸ˜€

Hi fellow adventurers!

I hope you enjoy the next episode in my painting series which covers the Wights... :)

What is this devilry!

Nice wights! I have always been fond of old, dirty, rusted, ripped, worn things in miniatures and movies. It gives some character and reliability to those character that have it. They have not just stayed at home, They have done something in meanwhile that has caused some wear and tear!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
On 5/9/2019 at 7:29 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

What is this devilry!

Nice wights! I have always been fond of old, dirty, rusted, ripped, worn things in miniatures and movies. It gives some character and reliability to those character that have it. They have not just stayed at home, They have done something in meanwhile that has caused some wear and tear!

Thanks mate! There are a couple of things I can rarely resist when painting minis - OSL and a nice bit of weathering. :)

Hello! Please enjoy this next episode in the JIME painting series which hopefully gives you some useful ideas you might like to try when tackling the Hill Troll :)

Yes! I just started on the first video, and laid down the skin and armor tonight. Never painted anything before, but I’m really enjoying it. I skipped ahead to see the Troll and I can’t wait to get there! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Have you tried painting with the new Contrast Colours from GW?

On 5/31/2019 at 5:14 AM, rexeven2 said:

Yes! I just started on the first video, and laid down the skin and armor tonight. Never painted anything before, but I’m really enjoying it. I skipped ahead to see the Troll and I can’t wait to get there! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thank you! I'm really glad you're enjoying the process :)

On 6/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, BushidoCougar said:

Have you tried painting with the new Contrast Colours from GW?

Hi! I had a play with them for around an hour at my FLGS and my initial impressions are somewhat mixed. I'll probably pick them up and spend some more time with them at some point, but I'm not in any rush. :)

Hello!

I hope you enjoy my take on painting the first hero figure from the game - Legolas :)

Hi fellow adventurers! It's been a little while, but I have a new guide up - this time for Aragorn. Please enjoy! :)

Thanks for the great videos Sorastro! I finally decided to tackle painting the hill troll. I never painted miniatures before finding your videos and pdf's. I love your imperial assault videos too. Just wanted to say thank you. Also, this game is awesome, and I can't wait to see where it takes us. Hopefully all the way to mordor!

Mountain Troll.jpg

Edited by benrp
On 8/30/2019 at 2:37 AM, benrp said:

Thanks for the great videos Sorastro! I finally decided to tackle painting the hill troll. I never painted miniatures before finding your videos and pdf's. I love your imperial assault videos too. Just wanted to say thank you. Also, this game is awesome, and I can't wait to see where it takes us. Hopefully all the way to mordor!

Hi benrp!

Thanks for the kind words, and for sharing your awesome troll - I love it! :)

Hi fellow adventurers!

I just wanted to let you know I've produced a video for Gimli :

48804457232_67c958ac62_b.jpg

And I've also published a PDF guide for Bilbo which you can grab here if you're interested.

48803964218_a96ca58a35_b.jpg

Happy Painting!

On 4/2/2019 at 3:45 PM, steveisbig said:

Now, let's talk about whether Balrogs have wings or not...

I know it is unrelated to the fantastic work of Sorastro and the other artists in this thread but the Balrog of the Moria does have wings (functional? that's another question) :

The Balrog [...] halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
[...]
It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall.
18 hours ago, Rawthalion said:

I know it is unrelated to the fantastic work of Sorastro and the other artists in this thread but the Balrog of the Moria does have wings (functional? that's another question) :

The Balrog [...] halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
[...]
It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall.

I'm on the boat where the Balrog's wings aren't physical wings, rather the enmbodiment of shadow and fear emanating from it like wings.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Balrogs/Wings

Edited by Thaeggan
added sauce for agrument

Yeah, definitely not physical wings. In the second part you quoted it's referencing the analogy in the first.

Edit: Also, some very important parts of the Silmarillion would be changed if the Balrog were winged.

Edited by steveisbig

"like wings"

Key part there being "like"

Not "actual" wings

Hey folks!

I've created a PDF guide for the last hero - Beravor if anyone's interested, which means I've managed to tutorialise (new word!) the entire Core Set - hooray!

Onto the Villains of Eriador next... :)

48831435477_2883ce9bf8_b.jpg

48830890558_61d78df5ce_b.jpg

48831265241_d9ec9f2bf0_b.jpg

That's fantastic thank you for your work! My next one to paint is the troll. Already watched your video, can't wait for the week end πŸ˜›

@Sorastro , do you plan to make .pdf for all minis? Thank you for your great work πŸ™‚

2 hours ago, player4054054 said:

That's fantastic thank you for your work! My next one to paint is the troll. Already watched your video, can't wait for the week end πŸ˜›

Thanks a lot! I hope enjoy working on your troll - such an epic miniature πŸ˜€

9 minutes ago, tibia said:

@Sorastro , do you plan to make .pdf for all minis? Thank you for your great work πŸ™‚

Hi Tibia! I've just made PDF guides for the three heroes that I didn't cover with the videos (so Elena, Bilbo, and Beravor). πŸ˜€

Hi folks!

I've started work on the Villains of Eriador, so here's my take on the awesome Gulgotar:

And I've finally completed the core set 😁 I took my time, and I can't wait to keep playing with all the miniatures painted. Thanks so much for your work @Sorastro , I discovered a really pleasant hobby here!

As a complete beginner, I didn't spend too much time with the highlights, especially as I'm more looking for a nice table top result. At the start (well for most of the vilains), I spent a lot of time with the base colours, trying to have a really clean result as I was making a lot of mistakes. But I feel like I really improved myself with time, even when not painting for a month for instance.

Really good idea to only use a core set of paints, I was glad not having to buy new paints for each miniatures.

Next the expansion, and then ... Imperial Assault πŸ€—

lotr.jpg

Finally got to painting LOTR. So far I've painted the ruffians, orcs and goblins and now the wargs and wights. The wights were the most surprising to paint since I for some reason loathed painting them somehow convinced that they'll be so difficult. They turned out to be great fun although I found myself struggling a bit with the lighting effect. I didn't have access to those fluorescent paints so I initially went with dilluted Citadel glazes. Since I wasn't really happy with the results I got with them, I finally painted one figure (the middle one) with Citadel's Temple Guard Blue (heavily dilluted with Lahmian Medium), mixed in some white and kept adding layers. Turned out perhaps the best of them. Oh, a sidenote, with the red warg, I tried Citadel's new Contrast paint with the darker red fur. It works on this kind of figurine but I'm a bit skeptical on how I can apply it elsewhere.

lotr_hungry_worg.thumb.jpg.7af68acc959b1718237a7afdf26aec33.jpg

lotr_wight.jpg.f3ebf2f964597dd9eb1ed960dbb0db82.jpg

I love your LOTR painting tutorials, Sorastro. They have a different approach to the Imperial Assault or Descent videos yet I feel they're also a very good starting point for anyone who's starting painting.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, steveisbig said:

some very important parts of the Silmarillion would be changed if the Balrog were winged.

I've been on several forum where they would lock or delete your posts if you started talking about Balrog wings lol. Apparently the argument can get heated and becomes circular.

Anyway, it does look like balrogs do not literally have wings, but if they get depicted with wings it doesn't bother me. They seem to have an ability, or trait, of wrapping themselves in shadow, or spreading shadow out from themselves. You might even say they have wings made out of shadow, in a sense. On a model, or miniature, I could see that they would want to find a way to model this tendency in their miniature by attaching some wings to it. Usually they seem to be bat wings, not sure if that's the best approach. Reading the book, you might think wings kind of like Mothman would be more appropriate.

Speaking of the Silmarillion, and this is highly subjective: There's really no way to be sure that no balrogs had wings, since there were many of them.

In the upcoming Shadowed Paths release for this game, does it come with a balrog? If you scroll down near the bottom, is that a balrog?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/28/shadowed-paths/

More on topic, Sarastros' painting looks great as always. I especially like the heroes.

Edited by Vince79