Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

On 4/3/2019 at 3:58 AM, Sorastro said:

Thanks a lot mate!

The flow aid is quite interesting; firstly I would restate that it's not essential, and yes you can just thin with water. It's hard to describe in words what the effect is, but it reduces the viscosity of the paint allowing it to be applied in thinner, more smoothly-flowing layers but without over diluting the colours. Overall it really does literally aid the flow of the paint, so when I'm brushing on the skin tones for example, I just lightly touch a segment of skin and the paint just more readily fills the area. It's also really good for painting fine decals etc as you can keep the paint quite concentrated but still lay down a very clean, flat line.

Like I say, it's tricky to put into words but if you try it (and you only need to add a drop or two) I think you will feel the difference, but it's a nice addition to our armoury rather than a vital one. :)

The water actually dilutes the paint, this can hurt the integrity of the paint film and slightly the color.

The flow agents you get chemically bond with the paint, thus adding better flow without hurting paint film integrity/color.

Thank you as always for your inspirational work! Any idea what the size of the bases are for the hero models?

4 hours ago, dukncuver said:

Thank you as always for your inspirational work! Any idea what the size of the bases are for the hero models?

Thank you! The hero bases are 25mm (as are the rest of the figures, except for the Hungry Wargs and Hill Troll which have 30mm bases). πŸ˜€

Hello!

Episode 2 of the painting series is now up if anyone's interested. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Another great vid @Sorastro !

Really looking forward to taking a break from painting Legion to working through these minis :)

These are Fantastic! I just ordered a few of the things I don't have to follow your guide. Thank you so much for making these videos! I hope you will continue to do them through the expansions as well!

I can't find the Tamiya Fine White Primer, do you guys think that the Corax White from GW will work? I can easily find anything from GW or Army painter, so if one of this brand have something it would be great 😁

13 hours ago, player4054054 said:

I can't find the Tamiya Fine White Primer, do you guys think that the Corax White from GW will work? I can easily find anything from GW or Army painter, so if one of this brand have something it would be great 😁

Hi there! I think Corax White is fine. It’s not quite a pure white but I still like it (and prefer it to the Army Painter white primer). :)

Hi...what would be the citadel paint equivalent for the armour?

You're the best!

Thanks!

On 4/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, Juventus10 said:

Hi...what would be the citadel paint equivalent for the armour?

You're the best!

Thanks!

Thanks Juventus! You could use pretty much any silver tone you like really. I might go with Leadbelcher however as it covers quite nicely. You could then mix in a little black and any mid/dark brown you like. :)

On 4/20/2019 at 12:07 AM, Sorastro said:

Hi there! I think Corax White is fine. It’s not quite a pure white but I still like it (and prefer it to the Army Painter white primer). :)

Thanks very much, looking forward to share the result now! It will be my very first painting mini 😬

Thank you so much for doing these video. The production value is very high and you are really good at explaining and teaching about painting miniatures. My wife and I are following your guides and enjoying painting our minis.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:45 PM, steveisbig said:

Now, let's talk about whether Balrogs have wings or not...

Hot balrog wings are a true delish, with the right dip, it's a fact :D

On 4/24/2019 at 2:48 AM, pilgrimnorm said:

Thank you so much for doing these video. The production value is very high and you are really good at explaining and teaching about painting miniatures. My wife and I are following your guides and enjoying painting our minis.

Thank you for the kind words! I’m very pleased to hear you’re both enjoying the videos (and the hobby!).

I’m looking forward to covering the Wights and the Hill Troll very soon... πŸ˜€

On 4/25/2019 at 8:33 PM, Julia said:

Hot balrog wings are a true delish, with the right dip, it's a fact :D

"You Shall not Pass (Wind)."

So...when can we expect the Hill Troll(if thats what it is) and the Wights.....not that im impatient due to lack of creativity when it comes to choosing colours πŸ˜€

1 hour ago, VAYASAN said:

So...when can we expect the Hill Troll(if thats what it is) and the Wights.....not that im impatient due to lack of creativity when it comes to choosing colours πŸ˜€

Ha ha! I'm starting on Wights this week, and will go straight onto the Hill Troll (yes that's what it's called!) next week. :)

@Sorastro Thank you for your awesome painting tutorials, I have learnt so much watching these and your imperial assault videos.. I can't wait to see what you do with the Troll

Edited by Serial

Just wanted to ask the experts here, how strong is the primer on these resin miniatures? Does the GW Chaos Black tend to chip at all?

Thanks all!

Just now, MeeKey said:

Just wanted to ask the experts here, how strong is the primer on these resin miniatures? Does the GW Chaos Black tend to chip at all?

Thanks all!

Ive never really had a problem with it. I do try prime in lighter colours more often than not though (personally)

On 4/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, player4054054 said:

Thanks very much, looking forward to share the result now! It will be my very first painting mini 😬

@Sorastro , here is my first painted mini ever πŸŽ‰ Picture is terrible, and I know I made mistakes, but I'm super happy with the result! We played the day after, and it was really cool seeing how it looks good with a painted mini. Thanks so much for your videos, would never have tried without. Looking forward to paint the other minis (+ I also have Imperial Assault waiting patiently πŸ™„ ) and your next videos 😁

IMG_20190505_181605.jpg

5 hours ago, player4054054 said:

@Sorastro , here is my first painted mini ever πŸŽ‰ Picture is terrible, and I know I made mistakes, but I'm super happy with the result! We played the day after, and it was really cool seeing how it looks good with a painted mini. Thanks so much for your videos, would never have tried without. Looking forward to paint the other minis (+ I also have Imperial Assault waiting patiently πŸ™„ ) and your next videos 😁

IMG_20190505_181605.jpg

Thats very nice for a first mini ever. Great job.

7 hours ago, player4054054 said:

here is my first painted mini ever πŸŽ‰ Picture is terrible, and I know I made mistakes, but I'm super happy with the result! We played the day after, and it was really cool seeing how it looks good with a painted mini. Thanks so much for your videos, would never have tried without. Looking forward to paint the other minis (+ I also have Imperial Assault waiting patiently πŸ™„ ) and your next videos 😁

That looks incredible for your first mini! What paints did you use? Citadel and Valejjo?

16 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

That looks incredible for your first mini! What paints did you use? Citadel and Valejjo?

Thanks! But to be fair the bad quality of the photo hides a lot of mistakes, I went over the edges several times 😁 I used Vallejo, the ones advised in the video by Sorastro.

1 hour ago, player4054054 said:

Thanks! But to be fair the bad quality of the photo hides a lot of mistakes, I went over the edges several times 😁 I used Vallejo, the ones advised in the video by Sorastro.

Photos always show the errors in painting(we all make them) and magnify them!

No matter how much time you spend painting, stick a photo up of your mini and suddenly a little error is visible. Dont worry about it...normally nobody looks this closely and on such a big screen etc 😁