Now Available: Paper Blossoms, a Character Generator

By AltitudeMatters, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Edit: Paper Blossoms is now available! Latest version is: 1.1.0

I'm happy to present Paper Blossoms, an unofficial open source character generator for Legend of the 5 Rings!

We've currently got data entered and code working for everything published to date, and it supports adding user-created data (so you can play with that Nekoma samurai you've always wanted). The application does expect you to own and use the book! As you'd expect, if FFG objects to anything here, I'll remove/change it immediately.

Releases can be downloaded directly from https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases .

As was the case with Oggdude's excellent Star Wars generator, this does not currently include descriptions -- it does include page references, and space for users to enter description information, as well as basic mechanical information. The ring display was borrowed from art found on imperialadvisor.com and modified for the application (that may go too, if FFG or imperial advisor objects :) ).

Let me know what you guys think!

Note: Screenshots reflect an older build. Current experience may differ.

Screenshot_PaperBlossoms.png

Screenshot_PaperBlossoms_2.png

Screenshot_PaperBlossoms_3.png

Screenshot_PaperBlossoms_4.png

Edited by AltitudeMatters
Reflected the release of Paper Blossoms!

Looks good. Be happy to test it out when you have a release.

Looking good so far!

Wow!

Very nice work. I look forward to testing it

I failed to mention! Supported operating systems include Windows, OSX, and Linux -- though I may not go through the trouble of pre-generating Linux builds unless there's enough interest. :)

For anyone watching and waiting, I expect to do a full release this week. 😄

So cool!

I'm looking forward to trying it.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:15 PM, AltitudeMatters said:

I failed to mention! Supported operating systems include Windows, OSX, and Linux -- though I may not go through the trouble of pre-generating Linux builds unless there's enough interest. :)

For anyone watching and waiting, I expect to do a full release this week. 😄

Do you have a GitHub?

1 hour ago, KveldUlfr said:

Do you have a GitHub?

One has been created--it's just private (for a liiiiiitle longer). When I go public with the code, I'll update this thread with a link to the GitHub! I'm hoping to release this evening or tomorrow, barring last minute discovery of some kind of game-breaking flaws.

1 hour ago, AltitudeMatters said:

One has been created--it's just private (for a liiiiiitle longer). When I go public with the code, I'll update this thread with a link to the GitHub! I'm hoping to release this evening or tomorrow, barring last minute discovery of some kind of game-breaking flaws.

Awesome.

What are you writing it in, if I can ask?

3 minutes ago, KveldUlfr said:

Awesome.

What are you writing it in, if I can ask? 

The application is in C++/Qt5 (The native QtWidgets, not QtQuick)! Application data is stored in a SQLite database, but for the sake of track-ability "core" data entry goes into json files, and the database is generated before release.

For anyone watching the thread -- last night I built an initial public release of Paper Blossoms (Windows and OSX). You can find it on the github at https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/ !

Hope folks enjoy.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your application, it looks amazing. I dl it, set it up, unzipped and launched it ; i have the message: "the local data is missing or older than the bundled data, do you want to overwrite it ? wether I select yes or no, when I click "new" on the menu the application closes. Do I miss something ?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by ruronin
57 minutes ago, ruronin said:

First of all, thank you for your application, it looks amazing. I dl it, set it up, unzipped and launched it ; i have the message: "the local data is missing or older than the bundled data, do you want to overwrite it ? wether I select yes or no, when I click "new" on the menu the application closes. Do I miss something ?

The first message should be normal enough -- it tries to put the local application data in the local app directory...which it seems isn't getting created properly on Windows if it's not run first in a dev directory. Hurray! First bug. -_-

I'll get a build put together over my lunch hour to fix that. A hotfix is up for windows at https://github.com/dashnine/PaperBlossoms/releases/tag/v0.1.6-beta.2 . Let me know if that doesn't work!

Alternatively, you can get it running by creating a PaperBlossoms folder in your AppData/local directory:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\PaperBlossoms.

After that, I think it'll work for you!

Edited by AltitudeMatters
Hotfix up, and added the quote for context

Thank you for your fast and efficient reply !

Yes it does work now !

So very needed! Thank you!

This is awesome!! Thanks so much!

Tested it by creating a Togashi monk (not the easiest test subject ;) ) - one suggestion: add a choice of an additional Kiho to be obtained through the school ability, with the Tattoo.

Altitudematters,

I really like that you have set this up. I have transcribed a character that I am currently playing and I have determined that the rings for the Kuni family are wrong. It should be Earth or Void. You have them as Earth or Fire. Another issue I have is that using my laptop, unless I have my taskbar turned off and the character full screen, I can't see the summary. The character creation aspect cuts off the next/cancel/finish buttons. I had to do some finagling to get the character creation done.

Other than these few issues that I have found I really like what you have done.

1 hour ago, Franwax said:

This is awesome!! Thanks so much!

Tested it by creating a Togashi monk (not the easiest test subject ;) ) - one suggestion: add a choice of an additional Kiho to be obtained through the school ability, with the Tattoo.

Oh, man -- yeah, I see that. I think because it gives an extra tattoo each rank I may need to add the support for that into the technique advance section -- the user would still have to choose the tattoo-Kiho themselves, which isn't perfect, but it might get the job done. >_< I'll get a feature on the board--thanks so much for testing it out!

34 minutes ago, kaizer71 said:

Altitudematters,

I really like that you have set this up. I have transcribed a character that I am currently playing and I have determined that the rings for the Kuni family are wrong. It should be Earth or Void. You have them as Earth or Fire. Another issue I have is that using my laptop, unless I have my taskbar turned off and the character full screen, I can't see the summary. The c  haracter creation aspect cuts off the next/cancel/finish b  uttons. I had to do some finagling to get the character creation done.

Other than these few issues that I have found I really like what you have done.

Gotcha--Got a bug on the whiteboard now, and I'll get it on the github board! I fully expect a number of bugs like that--it was a lot of data 😄

Regarding the window size--ouch, gotcha. I'll see what I can do to squeeze that down. Do you mind me asking your resolution?

3 hours ago, kaizer71 said:

I really like that you have set this up. I have transcribed a character that I am currently playing and I have determined that the rings for the Kuni family are wrong. It should be Earth or Void. You have them as Earth or Fire.

Since meow9th's reply here is in moderatorland: meow9th checked in a fix for the ring issue this evening -- you should see it corrected the next time a build is pushed (probably this weekend or early next week)!

Re: your screen-size issues, I've got it added to the github issue board (and hope to get to it soon!)

9 hours ago, AltitudeMatters said:

Gotcha--Got a bug on the whiteboard now, and I'll get it on the github board! I fully expect a number of bugs like that--it was a lot of data 😄

Regarding the window size--ouch, gotcha. I'll see what I can do to squeeze that down. Do you mind me asking your resolution?

My screen resolution is 1366 x 768. I am working on a laptop so that might be a part of the issue. I do appreciate that you are diligent in responding to people. It shows that you are very appreciative of constructive criticism.

This is wonderful!

Feature request: A preview, telling us our rings/skills during creation.

Also, I have the same resolution issue as kaizer71- I'm sure it will be better on my other computers, but my old Lenovo (Over 10 hours of battery life on this baby) is 1366 x 768. It's usable, but goes past the top and bottom of the screen just a bit.

Yeah, during 20 questions the next button is off the bottom of my screen. my screen resolution is locked at 1366x768 {for a high end UHD screen you'd think it'd be 1920x1080 but noooo}.

There is one spelling issue I found, but its so tiny its not even an issue, so dont worry of spelling errors. Major bugs come first :)