How important is lore to your clan allegiance?

By Bakura83, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

6 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

I am waiting to be able to do a Mantis only deck: now that the most hated (I hate him) character is making is coming back in the new role I could drop Unicorn for go back to my green love.

That will be somewhat difficult since you have Mantis characters that are role locked. Until the time comes where you can live that dream, it appears there is a rift in the Unicorn Clan between the Moto and the Shinjo.

You could just build a Mantis/non-Moto deck with the angle that Yoritomo will help get Chags back in line, in exchange for Unicorn support of the Mantis claim on great clan status.

For me, lore is more important to clan loyalty than mechanics or deck themes. I will play other clan's decks if I enjoy their mechanics but that doesn't change the fact that I identify myself as Crab Clan. I've been rocking the name Hiruma Shigure ever since Hida Kisada's return through Oblivion's Gate (Enemy of my Enemy). I swore loyalty to the Crab through AEG's Imperial Assembly to now. Before that I liked the Scorpion Clan cause they had ninjas. Ninjas are cool, duh. Ironic that I'd be swinging in Traitors' Grove for leaving them and the Scorpion killed Kisada the second time around! The Hiruma are pretty much ninjas too though, they just fight the Shadowlands instead.

Personally I've always wanted a Crab defensive honor runner deck. We're guarding the Wall, it'd be nice if that meant we could gain approval from the Emperor and Empire by doing our mandated task, instead of winning by conquest killing Crane farmers. :D

27 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

For me, lore is more important to clan loyalty than mechanics or deck themes. I will play other clan's decks if I enjoy their mechanics but that doesn't change the fact that I identify myself as Crab Clan. I've been rocking the name Hiruma Shigure ever since Hida Kisada's return through Oblivion's Gate (Enemy of my Enemy). I swore loyalty to the Crab through AEG's Imperial Assembly to now. Before that I liked the Scorpion Clan cause they had ninjas. Ninjas are cool, duh. Ironic that I'd be swinging in Traitors' Grove for leaving them and the Scorpion killed Kisada the second time around! The Hiruma are pretty much ninjas too though, they just fight the Shadowlands instead.

Personally I've always wanted a Crab defensive honor runner deck. We're guarding the Wall, it'd be nice if that meant we could gain approval from the Emperor and Empire by doing our mandated task, instead of winning by conquest killing Crane farmers. :D

Hantei V was best Emperor by that metric; he even slagged off the Crane and Lion for attacking the Crab in court.

Did the Crab ever have a dedicated Honor Victory build in O5R? 'Cause the only Stronghold they got that interacted with Honor positively was Carpenter Castle in EE.

1 minute ago, Mangod said:

Hantei V was best Emperor by that metric; he even slagged off the Crane and Lion for attacking the Crab in court.

Did the Crab ever have a dedicated Honor Victory build in O5R? 'Cause the only Stronghold they got that interacted with Honor positively was Carpenter Castle in EE.

I would define that one as a dedicated honor victory build. It could military, but its goal (Like many of the honor decks) was to gain Honor off winning on defense.

57 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

But, but...…………………."Honor Bah!"?

It is the reason I play a faction. I'd be hard pressed to play a faction I liked mechanically but disliked thematically. Also I have a hard time playing a card game I dislike thematically even if it's a great game. That's why I've really not latched onto Keyforge even though it looks like a great game. I just don't connect with that theme at all and I've tried.

34 minutes ago, phillos said:

It is the reason I play a faction. I'd be hard pressed to play a faction I liked mechanically but disliked thematically. Also I have a hard time playing a card game I dislike thematically even if it's a great game. That's why I've really not latched onto Keyforge even though it looks like a great game. I just don't connect with that theme at all and I've tried.

I would have loved it if Keyforge was L5R themed.

Shadows = Scorpion

Mars = Dragon/Unicorn

Brobnar = Crab

Logos = Phoenix

Sanctum = Lion/Crane (could make a case for Crab)

Dis = Shadowlands

With all the expected house rotations it would have been a good platform for L5R since it has a ton of factions throughout its history.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

I would really love if there was a quicker and lighter game like Keyforge with the L5R theme. Considering the huge reception this game had and then the sharp roll off to the current player base we have now I think I lighter card game in this theme would go over well. Though I think FFG would be mad to have two L5R games going on at the same time. I love L5R but it's no Star Wars as far as brand strength goes.

24 minutes ago, phillos said:

I would really love if there was a quicker and lighter game like Keyforge with the L5R theme. Considering the huge reception this game had and then the sharp roll off to the current player base we have now I think I lighter card game in this theme would go over well. Though I think FFG would be mad to have two L5R games going on at the same time. I love L5R but it's no Star Wars as far as brand strength goes.

No way could L5R support two card games, certainly not when even Star Wars couldn't sustain that.

And as fun as I think a L5R inspired game of Keyforge would be, I would never drop the high skill intensity of the LCG for the casual fun and bolstered playerbase that Keyforge offers. You'd also lose a lot of the story along with it.

Keyforge is fun but rather limited in terms of strategic depth......unless you're willing to spend a ton of money, or get extremely lucky with the random decks you buy.

Edited by Ishi Tonu
1 hour ago, phillos said:

https://www.amazon.com/AEG-Love-Letter-Legend-Rings-x/dp/B00I45GN5E

I know this may sound weird considering I've been playing game for a long time, but I have never played Love Letter in any of it's many incarnations. For some reason it never appealed to me. Not sure why. I should probably give it a try.

Edited by phillos

I'm still waiting on an L5R update to the FFG dice game Age of War. I'm actually very surprised it has not happened yet.

I'd also take an L5R themed game of Coup.

Edited by Ishi Tonu
2 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I'm still waiting on an L5R update to the FFG dice game Age of War. I'm actually very surprised it has not happened yet.

I'd also take an L5R themed game of Coup.

100% l5R coup would be amazing.

7 minutes ago, JolOfNar said:

100% l5R coup would be amazing.

Assassin = Ninja (i mean Shinobi)

Contessa = Yojimbo

Duke = Courtier or Magistrate or Damiyo

Ambassador = Shugenja or Courtier

Captain = Bushi

Koku or Honor tokens

They could probably get away with calling it the "Scorpion Clan Coup" and release it about the time they decide to tackle that storyline.

There all done!

Edited by Ishi Tonu
1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Contessa = Yojimbo

Captain = Bushi

Koku or Honor tokens

They could probably get away with calling it the "Scorpion Clan Coup" and release it about the time they decide to tackle that storyline.

There all done!

The idea of L5R Coup is mind blowing. But I'd raise that with Coup Rebellion -- it's the same mechanics, but with 25 cards. It's actually the same 5 base roles, but with variation within each of them (and you still play with 5, it's just not always the same cards every game). So we could have a cast of 25 known Rokugani characters to play with, and it would be, to say the least, positively amazing.

Edited by Ascarel
1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Contessa = Yojimbo

Captain = Bushi

Koku or Honor tokens

There all done!

Assassin could be duelist, and captain could be ronin. Creates a cool courtier theme.

16 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

That will be somewhat difficult since you have Mantis characters that are role locked. Until the time comes where you can live that dream, it appears there is a rift in the Unicorn Clan between the Moto and the Shinjo.

You could just build a Mantis/non-Moto deck with the angle that Yoritomo will help get Chags back in line, in exchange for Unicorn support of the Mantis claim on great clan status.

I will also look on how they will change Chags in this time line (if they will change anything about him), and see if I will like him or not in this new version.

For now, I already don't use many Moto, so easy to get them off, lol! But because nothing really happened yet, I still can choose to put some in my deck

On 3/26/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mangod said:

Did the Isawa produce any notable achievements in the OTL, other than Isawa Tadaka participating in the Second Day of Thunder and Isawa Sezaru killing Iuchiban? I honestly can't recall.

Aside from the Goju Adorai/Air Dragon/Shadow Dragon mess that's already been mentioned...

Isawa Mizuhiko's bit with the Bloodsword Judgment was an absolutely amazing story- the fact that it ended tragically for him is sorta academic- watching the guy mentally overpower a Bloodsword to go around taking out Dark Oracles was cool. For me, the tale combined Isawa idealism and selflessness with their hubris far better than most manage- and note that only when the Dark Oracle of Water killed Mizuhiko was the Bloodsword able to take over- thus, the hubris got some backing.

Uhm... a nonhuman Agasha actually took the lead on the God-Beast of Kali-Ma ritual, so that doesn't count for Isawa street cred...

Coming up pretty dry, honestly. Not a shock, as such, but... yeah. We're already doing better in the new timeline in terms of the Isawa not looking like complete goobers.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, phillos said:

L5R love letter needs an update, I believe it’s tied to the old lore, not the new one.

Battle for Rokugan is an excellent war game. It takes many excellent mechanics from Game of Thrones and streamlines it down to a 2 hour game. I wish it could go up to 7 players but it really needs to be on the shelf of any serious L5R fan.

Lastly, if FFG brought out a Battlelore/Battles of Westeros game in the L5R setting I would buy it in a heartbeat. You wouldn’t even be able to see the money coming out of my wallet it would be so fast. I get excited just thinking about it - a Crane/Lion core set with expansions for each faction and neutrals.

What I really want is a Descent/Imperial Assault style L5R game to be honest if we are wishlisting new L5R games. I feel like the theme is just begging for a Rokugan versus the Shadowlands type co-op skirmish game. If they want to retell one or both Day of Thunders in game form I think that would be a great way.

Edited by phillos
7 minutes ago, phillos said:

What I really want is a Descent/Imperial Assault style L5R game to be honest if we are wishlisting new L5R games. I feel like the theme is just begging for a Rokugan versus the Shadowlands type co-op skirmish game. If they want to retell one or both Day of Thunders in game form I think that would be a great way.

And as an added bonus this sort of game could double as player figs for RPG campaigns that prefer to use tactical maps for their Skirmish scenarios as well

Though a Second Day of Thunder seems a long way off, but it would be cool to get the first DoT. Also I think it would be fun to set the game in a different time period from the RPG and card game.

3 minutes ago, phillos said:

Though a Second Day of Thunder seems a long way off, but it would be cool to get the first DoT. Also I think it would be fun to set the game in a different time period from the RPG and card game.

Only problem with first day of Thunder would be that the equipment most of the characters carry shouldn't match to the modern Rokugan equivalents. I think what would be better is a series where the PC's are exploring the Shinomen forest and you can have various encounters based around there from Bandits to minor Shodowlands baddies like Goblins and Ogres, some spirits with a Maho-Tsukai as your big bad. You can use ruined Naga Temples as staging grounds for adventures and the Exploration of them as the treasure hunting mechanic that is so common in fantasy dungeon delves. You could even do an expansion for the Tomb of Iuchiban if you wanted to go more heavily into the Shadowlands aspects while still staying in the empire and thus explaining why PC's from multiple clans might be involved rather than mostly focused on Crab characters who should be the only one really running around in the shadowlands normally.

That's fair. Though DoT I still think would be a cool theme for a co-op box like this just because I feel like it's a huge story for the setting that should have some modern game representation. That said yeah it would be removed from modern Rokugan which would cause issues if you wanted the minis to fill a dual purpose (i.e RPG aids). Also it's sort of a very finite story, where your idea of exploring the Shinomen Forest could fit a more long form campaign like you'd find in Descent or Imperial Assault. So it probably makes better business sense. I'd still like a ToD box or something if they ever do it. Kinda like how LOTR LCG did the Hobbit as a two box campaign once the LCG was up and running. Also it would be cool to see those original DoT heroes in mini form.

46 minutes ago, phillos said:

What I really want is a Descent/Imperial Assault style L5R game to be honest if we are wishlisting new L5R games.

Deal.

Make it happen.