New map announced.. Ewoks?!

By Brigadierblu, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

3 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

It’s a shame the timelines were thrown out, they really did a lot to thematically add to the game. I never really used them when they were a thing, but I probably should have.

I think an Endor box set before the Death Star II briefing in RotJ and leading up to the Battle of Endor would work nicely. We could have rebel troops searching for info and eventually finding the base on Endor.

Yup, Bothan Infiltrators for Rebels, and Crix Madine... Perfect oportinity to play mission where we get DS II plans and another to capture Tydirium shuttle Mon Mothma speaks of in RotJ.

6 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

It’s a shame the timelines were thrown out, they really did a lot to thematically add to the game. I never really used them when they were a thing, but I probably should have.

I think an Endor box set before the Death Star II briefing in RotJ and leading up to the Battle of Endor would work nicely. We could have rebel troops searching for info and eventually finding the base on Endor.

Will it require Mak to be present?

3 hours ago, Shwarrz said:

Yup, Bothan Infiltrators for Rebels, and Crix Madine... Perfect oportinity to play mission where we get DS II plans and another to capture Tydirium shuttle Mon Mothma speaks of in RotJ.

I think that's a great setup. Have the IA heroes doing the work that went into preparing for the film's heroes to do their jobs. Also, I don't even think we need Endor. I would rather see a post ROTJ "Freedom for Kashyyyk" box that would provide Endor-esque tiles, without inserting the IA heroes into the movie narrative. Scout troopers would just as viable a unit for a Kashyyyk expansion as an Endor one. Ewoks were originally going to be Wookiees anyway, until George decided Teddy Bears sold better. The old video game Galactic Battlegrounds, the Age of Empires clone, had a campaign to free Kashyyyk, and it was probably the best campaign of the lot of them.

24 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

Ewoks were originally going to be Wookiees  anyw  a  y   ,  until George decided Teddy Bears sold better.  

Well... the official story is that shooting the scene with the Wookiees was cost prohibitive. I’m not sure which I believe, but I know which I’d prefer to see.

30 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

Will it require Mak to be present?

If it did then I’d say it’s a good thing timelines were thrown out... he wouldn’t be allowed in any campaigns set after that.

28 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Well... the official story is that shooting the scene with the Wookiees was cost prohibitive. I’m not sure which I believe, but I know which I’d prefer to see.

If it did then I’d say it’s a good thing timelines were thrown out... he wouldn’t be allowed in any campaigns set after that.

Cost prohibitive doesn't seem outside the scope of possibility. I mean, in satirical terms, Ewok customs are probably...half... the expense of Wookieee costumes.

20 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I'm a fan of the technologically inferior underdog, but Ewoks take it to far. Even as a teenager, it was too much to suspend disbelief, to see stone-aged teddy bears taking on space aged shock troops. They win only though the power of plot armor, and because seeing the cute, toy sale magnets, being wiped out faster than plains bison, would be terrifying to the kiddies.

Yeah tell that to the Zulu. Winning a battle is more then possible, a whole war less so.

Also Ewoks are smart as heck, they mastered gliding and thrived in an extremely hostile environment. And lots of other arguments I have made before.

Ewoks represent the silly fun and “stupid” of the Star Wars franchise and honestly Star Wars is bone stupid in the best ways, if you have yet to accept that then well I may question your overall maturity.

In terms of costumes an Ewok uses fake fur fabric where as a Wookiee uses a bunch of wigs hung on a net. I imagine a Wookiee costume is orders of magnitude more expensive then an Ewok.

18 hours ago, TheEldarGuy said:

I know the concept of Timelines is thrown out, but I feel that Imperial Assault fits somewhere between Rogue One (Ep3.75) to just after Hoth incident (Ep5.2), and each of the box sets and campaign missions fit in here.

I would like to see that continued, and stay away from anything post Asteroid scene from Ep 5. Is that too specific? As to Rogue One people, a small box campaign taking place a little bit before, or during the timeline would be cool.

Pretty sure intro text to RotH Campaign already refers to events after that point in Ep. 5 being in the past tense.

So... 2nd Death Star artwork is featured on one of the participation card prizes for the IA World Championship, as seen here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/22/risks-and-rewards/ ....yeah, I know, I know, it doesn't mean a **** thing, but...

...I WANT IT TO MEAN SOMETHING, damned it! 😛 I want an Endor box for IA! :D

3 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

So... 2nd Death Star artwork is featured on one of the participation card prizes for the IA World Championship, as seen here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/22/risks-and-rewards/ ....yeah, I know, I know, it doesn't mean a **** thing, but...

They're really teasing us, now.

(Hm... the censor-bots blocked out the word 'da-mn-ed' in my post above. Is that considered a curse word in American English?)

5 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

(Hm... the censor-bots blocked out the word 'da-mn-ed' in my post above. Is that considered a curse word in American English?)

Sort of.

I was raised that it was a bad word, but it's definitely not very harsh profanity. It's kind of the same tier as "sucks", as in "it sucks we haven't had a new wave announcement for almost a year".

1 hour ago, bill_andel said:

Pretty sure intro text to RotH Campaign already refers to events after that point in Ep. 5 being in the past tense.

I always assumed that BG took place after the Empire took over Cloud City, which would put it between ESB and RotJ.

7 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Sort of.

I was raised that it was a bad word, but it's definitely not very harsh profanity. It's kind of the same tier as "sucks", as in "it sucks we haven't had a new wave announcement for almost a year".

(This will be my last off-topic post on this matter, 'cause... off topic :) But, for d@mned to be a curse word makes every kind of sense in Norwegian, where cursing are religiously slanted; i.e. you actually curse someone when you make curse words, while vulgarity isn't actually thought of as particularly censor-worthy, even though it might be in extremely bad taste. But I hadn't registered that the D-word is 'evil' in Am.English. Very interesting :) Language is a cruel mistress!)

7 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

(This will be my last off-topic post on this matter, 'cause... off topic :) But, for d@mned to be a curse word makes every kind of sense in Norwegian, where cursing are religiously slanted; i.e. you actually curse someone when you make curse words, while vulgarity isn't actually thought of as particularly censor-worthy, even though it might be in extremely bad taste. But I hadn't registered that the D-word is 'evil' in Am.English. Very interesting :) Language is a cruel mistress!)

And censors for American English have some messed up rules. You can say words like "d*ck" and "P*ssy" on television, but only if they are not in reference to sex.

Edited by Pollux85
4 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Yeah tell that to the Zulu. Winning a battle is more then possible, a whole war less so.

Also Ewoks are smart as heck, they mastered gliding and thrived in an extremely hostile environment. And lots of other arguments I have made before.

Ewoks represent the silly fun and “stupid” of the Star Wars franchise and honestly Star Wars is bone stupid in the best ways, if you have yet to accept that then well I may question your overall maturity.

In terms of costumes an Ewok uses fake fur fabric where as a Wookiee uses a bunch of wigs hung on a net. I imagine a Wookiee costume is orders of magnitude more expensive then an Ewok.

The joke about Ewok costumes was just that, an ironic juxtaposition based on the height of the Ewok vs the Wookiee. Yes, the Zulus one "a" battle against the British when they ambushed 1300 men who were guarding a caravan with 20,000 ZULU warriors. The British were using 7 shot, breach-loading rifles, and still killed thousands of Zulus before they were overrun, which took most of the day. Still, that is not apt comparison. While the Ewoks may be the technological equivalent of the Zulus, the Empire would have been the equivalent of a modern infantry battalion. The Zulus would have never prevailed against semi-automatic, magazine fed rifles. Especially if the Brits had a couple APCs with them. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the film, and if you want to call it "stupid" fun, that's great, but then why try so vehemently to defend it? It would have been much better if it would have been Wookiees who were a technological inferior society, but who employed the same weapons as their enemies.

Edited by Rikalonius
2 hours ago, Pollux85 said:

I always assumed that BG took place after the Empire took over Cloud City, which would put it between ESB and RotJ.

Yes, that seemed fairly clear from the BG campaign. But the post I was responding to referred specifically to having nothing past the Asteroid scene in Ep. 5 (i.e. ESB), when it was clear that - except for the opening mission - the RtoH campaign takes place between ESB and RoTJ, too.

Sorry, if I caused confusion. I typed "RotH" in my post, which could've been interpreted as be typing an "H" instead of a "J", when in fact, I was typing "to" with dyslexicly.

Ewoks were already adept at defeating large bipedal monsters the size of AT-ST. Many of the traps were likely already in place, designed for that task.

also we all know imperial troops had extremely inaccurate weapons.

5 hours ago, angelman2 said:

That actually means a whole lot less than the Ewok. It’s the same art as the original card, just with the frame expanded.

http://cards.boardwars.eu/Ally-and-Villain-Packs/Wave-2/Kayn Somos/Deployment Cards/Rule+by+Fear.jpg

Edited by Uninvited Guest

what gives me hope though is the fact that in the prices for the winner are flights to the 2020 worlds included, which means one more year of competitive play guaranteed, making it highly likely give us something more :)

I'd hold off on 'guaranteed' pretty sure the winner of the RuneWars tournament got the same promise, and they cancelled the game before it got around to being used.

Your enthusiasm, skill, and sportsmanship were fantastic all weekend long, and we look forward to seeing many of you at the 2019 World Championships.

Unfortunately, the numbers simply do not allow us to continue the program, and we are ending it immediately. There will be no further Seasonal Kits nor Store Championships, and we will be in contact with 2018 World Champion Justin Hare and 2017 World Champion Ben Fox to work through the adjustment to their World Championship prizes.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/11/the-land-endures/

I read a lot more into no card design as being a huge negative, than saying OH ya for 2020 worlds the winner gets all this stuff, but nothing saying there will actually BE a 2020 worlds.

Edited by FrogTrigger
10 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I read a lot more into no card design as being a huge negative, than saying OH ya for 2020 worlds the winner gets all this stuff, but nothing saying there will actually BE a 2020 worlds.

I'd missed that on the first read of the article - you're right, that is... concerning.

19 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I'd hold off on 'guaranteed' pretty sure the winner of the RuneWars tournament got the same promise, and they cancelled the game before it got around to being used.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/11/the-land-endures/

8 hours ago, dysartes said:

I'd missed that on the first read of the article - you're right, that is... concerning.

You might wanna consider the fact that they decided to go without it for the armada prizes too and there will be more in that game for sure :)

I don't get why everyone has to be so negative about IA's future all the time. I doubt it will be discontinued anytime soon, it's Star Wars after all. Runewars was an original concept without any preattachments making it not as appealing to potential players.

Even if IA is officially discontinued, we can still play the game. Yeah we won't get anything new and most stores will probably stop hosting tournaments since there wouldn't be any new tournament kits, but we could plan stuff as a community and join to play our favorite game.

Edited by GuillotineTE
On 3/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, subtrendy2 said:

The Empire's best bet would probably be Inferno Squad. I can't really think of anyone else.

Veers? Though he might end up being to similar to Sorin.