Road to Legend Collection

By JPierson, in Road to Legend

Hey all. So I am ready to play Road to Legend and I have a question-

If I add all my expansions to the "my collection" portion of the app, will this mean that on any given quest, can it pull from any of the sets? I ask because I keep all my expansions separate from each other and don't want to have to dig through 8 boxes to find one tile. If the answer is no, does the app prompt you beforehand that you will be using <x> expansion to play this scenario?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by JPierson

The answer is yes and no.

The app will tell you which tiles it needs before each quest. It won’t explicitly say which expansion, but the tile numbers will clue you in.

In Kindred Fire, story quests will never use expansion tiles. (Except for Defense Of Thelys which asks for a Nerekhall tile, but I always replace said tile with an end cap because that tile is not important)

In Seeds Of Corruption, each story quest will use tiles from Shadow of Nerekhall (always) and one other expansion (if you own them)

Embers Of Dread story quests use tiles from Labyrinth of Ruin and Lair Of The Wyrm (always). It may use Seeds of Corruption’s method of altering maps based on owned expansions. I do not know.

Most side quests exclusively use base game tiles. Each expansion introduces a single quest using its tiles.

The app can and will make use of all monsters and conditions. (You will have no forewarning until the app says “Place the blah-blah-blah group”, which it will say many times each quest). Although if you’re playing, say, The Troll’s Treasure (Trollfens sidequest) you can count on seeing harpies, for example.

Edited by Lightningclaw

Hmm. That kind of sucks then. I was thinking/hoping about doing a live stream of these games. I did the tutorial once a while ago and was ready to finally kick it off. Anyhow, thank you for the response

On 3/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, JPierson said:

Hey all. So I am ready to play Road to Legend and I have a question-If I add all my expansions to the "my collection" portion of the app, will this mean that on any given quest, can it pull from any of the sets?

Yes it will do that.

I ask because I keep all my expansions separate from each other and don't want to have to dig through 8 boxes to find one tile.

Yeah I do the same thing, it's a trainwreck with the app. The solution is to only add a few expansions to your collection.

If the answer is no, does the app prompt you beforehand that you will be using <x> expansion to play this scenario?

Thanks everyone!

No, it doesn't even tell you which expansions you're using during setup. Your best option to just select which expansions you're willing to play a given scenario with as your collection.

Sage advise Bucho! Thank you!

Part of the fun of Road to Legend is specifically the fact that it allows you to mix and match all your content... Why would you hamstring your experience by trying to avoid mixing stuff? Sure, you could only select a few expansions as your collection but then what's the point having the other ones?

Hail all,

Why is the conversion kit not included??????

I own everything from descent first and second except for the monster/ hero packs and i am not gonna bother buying them.

Can i integrate them i some way because its a lot of difference with the extra hero's and monsters and there are a lot of good hero's in it i like to use.

Thanks

The conversion kit is no longer supported, as all it’s monsters and 75% of its heroes have been given new miniatures, artwork, and updated/completely new abilities.

You can use the CK by selecting all nine hero and monster collections.

This isn’t perfect, because many monsters were radically changed and there are two new monster groups.

It should work fine, more or less, but you may come across a reference to a new ability and you’ll need to check the wiki from time to time.

Heroes should work perfectly fine, but if you want to use the 12 that were never rereleased, you’ll have to select a different hero portrait in their place.

Editing to list the heroes exclusive to the CK:

Warriors: Eliam, Laughin Buldar, Varikas the Dead, Hugo the Glorious

Scouts: Tobin Farslayer, Kirga, Bogran the Shadow, Red Scorpion

Healers: Brother Glyr, Aurim

Mages: Mad Carthos, Landrec the Wise

Edited by Lightningclaw

When was the CK support dropped from RTL- ages ago or recently?

Lost Legends (as I've said previously) has some big thematic overlaps with quite a few of the missing and new heroes, which I took as hints are they maybe finally on the way?, FFG seem to have ditched reprinting the conversion kit recently too, it's dropped off the 'upcoming' list, so I am still wondering, the naysayers think I'm being too optimistic but there's been new art for several of these characters too in various places, there are echoes in this new art to the NEW art of the mage Shadar Runearmor in LL (one of the characters hidden away in the wings of RTL with older artwork)....

I still think we're getting the missing and new heroes soon [*] due to these links to the LL deck, others don't share my optimism but I'm sticking by it as it seems to point to a logic linking the 8 characters added in the background of RTL ages ago.

Most of us know this background info but for those that don't here's the link to that info: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667128/unreleased-heros

So it took Shadar since November 2016-ish to actually find her way into the physical game at all, albeit only as artwork at the moment. Again others disagree but my thinking remains why put her as a key image in a new class deck (and on the cover of it) if she's not coming to the game soon? Soul Reaper seems to suit Varikas well (thematically he'd be a great warrior-healer so could this be designed with a hybrid class option in mind?), trickster (scout-mage) could fit Tenzi of the Path well etc etc.

Won't say more on the more subtle specifics as I may have sussed some spoilerish things so I don't want to share too much of my second guessing but I have noticed subtleties that suggest some connections between the unreleased and 'new' characters too.

Could something else making Descent development progress slower be the fact FFG now have an app and app releases to sync up with (and develop for) physical releases? It's already seeming an odd development timeline! That could explain it.

[ * = soon in FFG terms which could be late 2020 or beyond :) ]

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
defining soon
On 3/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, Xyphistor said:

Part of the fun of Road to Legend is specifically the fact that it allows you to mix and match all your content... Why would you hamstring your experience by trying to avoid mixing stuff? Sure, you could only select a few expansions as your collection but then what's the point having the other ones?

Because everybody checks out and starts playing phone games if I sort through two bookshelves full of descent content. And just plain forget about trying to bring it somewhere else.

Does anybody know when they took the Conversion Kit out of the app?

And if there are any 'unused characters' like Shadar Runearmour still lurking in the background as was the case a couple of years back?

The conversion kit was never officially supported by the app, so nothing was taken out.

The 8 unused hero images are still in the app. Four of them are updated 1st edition heroes, the other four are completely new heroes.

It seems that the four new heroes were planned to be released in the chains that rust to accompany the four hybrid classes, but they were cut in the end.

The other four were most likely planned for another hero & monster collection which was canceled later on.

Is there any hope that they will be rescheduled later on?

I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

The H&Ms were released like machine gun fire up until 3 years ago (**** that was a while ago), so I don’t think we’ll see anything new after Lost Legends.

Maybe we’ll get another app campaign/adventure, but we are almost certainly done.

Edited by Lightningclaw
On 5/30/2019 at 12:33 PM, Lightningclaw said:

The conversion kit is no longer supported, as all it’s monsters and 75% of its heroes have been given new miniatures, artwork, and updated/completely new abilities.

You can use the CK by selecting all nine hero and monster collections.

This isn’t perfect, because many monsters were radically changed and there are two new monster groups.

It should work fine, more or less, but you may come across a reference to a new ability and you’ll need to check the wiki from time to time.

Heroes should work perfectly fine, but if you want to use the 12 that were never rereleased, you’ll have to select a different hero portrait in their place.

Editing to list the heroes exclusive to the CK:

Warriors: Eliam, Laughin Buldar, Varikas the Dead, Hugo the Glorious

Scouts: Tobin Farslayer, Kirga, Bogran the Shadow, Red Scorpion

Healers: Brother Glyr, Aurim

Mages: Mad Carthos, Landrec the Wise

I have all of the 1E expansions, and was considering picking up the 2E core game and the conversion kit in the near future explicitly for playing with the app. My plan was to input what I owned as the hero/monster collections and just use different hero portraits for the missing heroes, much like you recommend. It appears that they have errata-ed the heroes and monsters from what was released in the conversion kit then? Are there PDFs or any reference material with the new hero and monster sheets without having to purchase the collections?

Edit: I found a comparison between the CK version and the Collection version in the wiki, could probably make do with that.

Edited by kris40k