Comprehensive list of canon CW ships

By LordCola, in Star Wars: Armada

So a while back I made this post Comprehensive list of canon GCW ships not in the game and I thought let's do the same for the CW. But since almost all cannon ships from that era are already depicted in primary media (Film or TV) organizing them by what media they appear in doesn't make much sense. So instead I categorized them by size.

Galactic Republic Navy

Large Ships:

Medium Ships:

Small Ships:

Separatist Navy

Huge Ships:

Large Ships:

Medium Ships:

Small Ships:

Honorable mentions: (Ships that aren't classical warships but are iconic and could somehow be incorporated into Armada):

Medium Ships:

Small Ships

* Never depicted associated with this faction in primary media

** Size only specified in Legends

★ Ship already in the game

Multifaction ship used by the Galactic Empire

Multifaction ship used by the Rebel Alliance

Some thinks that I noted while comprising the list:

• -The Republic Navy doesn't really have a type flotilla ship. But I guess the non retrofitted Consular or the Paladin-class corvette could fill that role
  • -The CIS generally doesn't have very many ships
  • -Both factions have a little less ships that the GCW factions already have in the game
  • -The CIS doesn't have any classical small base ships
  • -The CIS “Huge Ships” do not at all compare to the SSD in size and it frankly seems a little ridiculous to put them in the same category. So in my opinion they should get a new category called Very Large into which a potential Resurgent-class Star Destroyer would also fit well. (better than into large or huge)
  • -There are already 4 ships in the game that are also used by the Republic Navy but only one that was used by the CIS. Giving the Republic Navy an easy headstart as a new faction.

If you find some more ships not included here, comment and I will add them.

Very nice list! Thanks.

Anyone else think the official length for the Venator is too long? The landing strip looks pretty short in the cartoons, not almost a kilometre.

A couple of notes, Gozanti should be Flotilla sized as that is an important in game distinction and allows for some discussion of where are each faction getting their Small or Flotilla sized ships. I would say the Trident would make a fascinating Flotilla sized, because its supposed to ram and latch on, so is it like a Flotilla that acts sort of as a missile type unit? Getting away from the point of this.

I would add for the CIS the Umbaran Support Vessel which I don't think we have official sizes on but probably small? Need to rewatch those episodes. Then there is the Diamond-class which would be Small as well at only 200m in length, admittedly quite a bit wider but looking at crew and compliment its not a very big craft and its very thin.

For GRN there is the ISD I which appears in the movie and the GR-75 but if you could have a variant Paladin Class as your support flotilla I think it'd be better than just rehashing the GR-75 again.

2 hours ago, Grujav said:

For GRN there is the ISD I which appears in the movie  and the GR-75

Where? You will have to give me an exact source here. Wookieepedia also doesn't know anything about those two ships affiliation with the Republic.

(In legends the Republic uses those ships but as far as I know this has not been reintroduced into canon)

Hi, this is just a little pet peeve of mine but the venator is not a star destroyer, it is an attack cruiser, anyone who has seen the clone wars show will agree with me. Thank you.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, Clone Wars Forever said:

this is just a little pet peeve of mine but the venator is not a star destroyer, it is an attack cruiser,

Well, the ships official designation is Venator-class Star Destroyer.

That has nothing to do with opinions. That's just a fact. Now you could argue that it is wrongly classified but I would also disagree with that. Star Destroyer isn't really a military classification. There is no real definition of what a Star Destroyer actually is. It is just a fancy name.

2 hours ago, LordCola said:

Well, the ships official designation is Venator-class Star Destroyer.

That has nothing to do with opinions. That's just a fact. Now you could argue that it is wrongly classified but I would also disagree with that. Star Destroyer isn't really a military classification. There is no real definition of what a Star Destroyer actually is. It is just a fancy name.

Hi, I’m sorry to drag this on but have you seen the clone wars? Not a single episode calls them star destroyers. It is like classifying the H.M.S Bounty as a destroyer or aircraft carrier. And it’s “official designation” is the venator-class attack cruiser. I am a clone wars nut, I know my stuff. Thank you

edit: I do really appreciate that you’ve made this list, and as I said before, it is a pet peeve.

Edited by Clone Wars Forever
Additions
46 minutes ago, Clone Wars Forever said:

Hi, I’m sorry to drag this on but have you seen the clone wars? Not a single episode calls them star destroyers. It is like classifying the H.M.S Bounty as a destroyer or aircraft carrier. And it’s “official designation” is the venator-class attack cruiser. I am a clone wars nut, I know my stuff. Thank you

This page is from the official canon Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and other Vehicles :

tumblr_pl9ieunhUx1ws5ydbo10_1280.jpg

The Venator is canonically a Star Destroyer. There is no arguing about this. This is a primary source officially giving it the designation " Venator-class Star Destroyer ".

Edited by LordCola
49 minutes ago, LordCola said:

This page is from the official canon Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and other Vehicles :

The Venator is canonically a Star Destroyer. There is nor arguing about this. This is a primary source officially giving it the designation " Venator-class Star Destroyer ".

Look, we only ever heard of star destroyers after the empire was formed, never before that, the people who wrote that couldn’t care less of chronologic reference, I merely take the stand of “empire brought about star destroyers” because they are an oppressive faction and star destroyer is an oppressive designation, the republic was not an oppressive faction and never once called one of their ships a star destroyer, several times that very same page accurately describes it as a republic attack cruiser, they just put star destroyer in because “it’s a big ship so it has to be a star destroyer” I go on actual documentation based on the timeline, not because some idiot doesn’t understand that there is a time difference between the republic and the empire, surely even you have to agree that according to timeline they aren’t the same?

edit: the venator class republic attack cruiser wasn’t even “massive” it was ~1km long if I recall correctly, and the actual star destroyers were much much larger than that.

Edited by Clone Wars Forever
Addition

As squadrons are a part of Armada should we not list what’s available to each side as well and if it would be a squadron of 3 ships or a rouges and villains style ship?

2 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

As squadrons are a part of Armada should we not list what’s available to each side as well and if it would be a squadron of 3 ships or a rouges and villains style ship?

Arc 170's, v-wings, jedi starfighter, y-wings for the Republic and different variants of vulture droids for CIS.

Maybe Naboo starfighters? Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

I'd be interested in that list also.

3 hours ago, Wulfrain said:

Arc 170's, v-wings, jedi starfighter, y-wings for the Republic and different variants of vulture droids for CIS.

Maybe Naboo starfighters? Can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

I'd be interested in that list also.

Also Geonosian Starfighter, Droid Tri-fighters, V-19 Torrent, Scimitar sith infiltrator, Z95, Droid gunship, Belbullab-22, Rogue-class starfighters, Neimoidian Shuttle, Republic attack shuttles , spice freighter.

15 hours ago, Clone Wars Forever said:

Look, we only ever heard of star destroyers after the empire was formed, never before that, the people who wrote that couldn’t care less of chronologic reference, I merely take the stand of “empire brought about star destroyers” because they are an oppressive faction and star destroyer is an oppressive designation, the republic was not an oppressive faction and never once called one of their ships a star destroyer, several times that very same page accurately describes it as a republic attack cruiser, they just put star destroyer in because “it’s a big ship so it has to be a star destroyer” I go on actual documentation based on the timeline, not because some idiot doesn’t understand that there is a time difference between the republic and the empire, surely even you have to agree that according to timeline they aren’t the same?

edit: the venator class republic attack cruiser wasn’t even “massive” it was ~1km long if I recall correctly, and the actual star destroyers were much much larger than that.

I don't even know what to say to this. Are we still arguing about actual star wars canon or are we only talking about the parts you like? The Encyclopedia of Starfighters and other Vehicles wasn't written in character by an imperial trying to make the Galactic Republic look bad just to spite you. It is a neutral source book.

When it comes to reliability of a source and the use of specific military terminology I take the word of a specialized sourcebook over a cartoon aimed at kids (not saying that other people cant enjoy it. I am watching it right now and like it) any day of the week. In general I am never comfortable taking the cartoon shows completely at face value. I thing events depicted in those shows might often be simplified compared to the events that "actually" happend to keep it at a level still acceptable for children. Simple example: I think that these shows often don't show the full extend of the brutality of war and how ungodly horrific some of those battles would be if they really happend. I would always take everything from the cartoons with a grain of salt. So should a very specialized piece of canon media disagree with what a cartoon shows and there is no official clarification I would always default to the non cartoon source.

16 hours ago, Clone Wars Forever said:

several times that very same page accurately describes it as a republic attack cruiser

I am not arguing against that. "Republic attack cruiser" seams to be the same colloquial name for this ship as "blockade runner" is for the CR90. But it's official model designation is still "Venator-class Star Destroyer"

19 hours ago, Clone Wars Forever said:

because they [the Empire] are an oppressive faction and star destroyer is an oppressive designation, the republic was not an oppressive faction

This mentality I do not understand: Empire evil, Republic good. What? Many of the people in leading roles in the Republic would have still been in those roles once the Republic turned into the Empire, especially in military positions. The Republic was teaming with corruption. The Republic is who created the Empire by giving Palpatine his power. The people and the Senat was totally in favor of the switch to an empire. The Clone Wars era Republic government and the newly imperial government are morally really not very different. They are still made up of pretty much the same people.

Also while the Confederacy might have been a pupped organisation used by Palpatine the governments making up the CIS didn't know that. They (or some of them) totally legitimately wanted to secede from the Republic, but the Republic wouldn't let them. So I really would not call the Republic "not an oppressive faction".

3 hours ago, LordCola said:

Also while the Confederacy might have been a pupped organisation used by Palpatine the governments making up the CIS didn't know that. They (or some of them) totally legitimately wanted to secede from the Republic, but the Republic wouldn't let them.

And their response to this independence movement was to deploy an army of enslaved child soldiers, no less. And nobody cared. And the entire war was engineered by the Republic’s elected head of state.

Gee, when you think about it they seem kind of evil.

53 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Gee, when you think about it they seem kind of evil.

When you look at the events of Attack of the Clones from the perspective of a random CIS politician, the Republic looks seriously manipulative, aggressive and generally terrible.

As a Separatist politician you have concerns about the Republic; it seems inefficient, ineffective and corrupt. You are particularly worried about how long Chancellor Palpatine has been in power. Plus there are the Jedi; once the guardians of peace and justice, now seemingly little more than the Chancellor's personal assets - above the law, working directly for the Chancellor, causing all sorts of mayhem.

So you get together with a bunch of other concerned systems, and float the idea of abandoning the Republic and forming your own intersystem government. The Loyalist politicians insist this isn't needed, that everything is fine, but at the same time there's rising talk of war if you try to leave (plus then one of the prominent Loyalist politicians survives an assassination attempt and immediately blames you - despite you being sure the Separatist politicians would never do that).

Obviously you have to get the major business groups on board (the Banking Clan, Trade Federation, Techno-Union) otherwise you won't get anywhere; you need financing, continued support of industry and trade. So you arrange a get-together between your leaders and those groups on an out-of-the-way world. Except then a prominent Jedi gets caught, on the planet, spying on the meeting. He has an "innocent explanation" about chasing some bounty hunter, but just happened to have wandered into the meeting. So you detain him, and put him on trial for espionage.

And guess what; while that is going on the Republic Senate passes a motion to grant the Chancellor even more emergency powers, including to create an army, and they use details of this confidential meeting to justify it (definitely not looking good for that Jedi's defence).

But maybe things will settle down and this is just politics... until you find out that yet another Jedi snuck onto the planet, infiltrated one of the factories and immediately started massacring the workers and destroying the machinery; murder and sabotage. And to make it worse, he was accompanied by a prominent Loyalist politician, one of the loudest voices calling for peaceful solutions and supposedly opposing the aggression of the Republic! How deep does this conspiracy go?

So, they get put on trial as well, found guilty (an open-and-shut case, really), and sentenced to death (a bit uncivilised, perhaps, but local laws apply, and the local law allows for it). Only for a load of Jedi to turn up, demonstrating once again that they see themselves as above the law (certainly the local, system laws). Lots of people die, including civilians, and just when you think the situation is under control... even more Jedi turn up, at the head of an enormous army. An army of clones, that would have taken a decade or longer to grow and train... And you're supposed to believe the Republic came up with this in a couple of days?! Clearly people within the Republic have been working on this for years! All your fears are realised; the Chancellor has a large army, under his personal control (through the Jedi), they're ignoring system laws and sovereignties, they're forcing unity down the barrel of a blaster.

The fight against the Republic may seem hopeless, but you are more sure than ever that leaving is the right thing to do.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:31 PM, LordCola said:

The Venator is canonically a Star Destroyer. There is no arguing about this. This is a primary source officially giving it the designation " Venator-class Star Destroyer ".

To back up Lord Cola, the Complete Encyclopedia and Incredible Cross Sections for Episode III say the same thing.

Well wouldn’t the C-9799 landing craft be a possible flotilla for the CIS?

On 4/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, Grujav said:

I would add for the CIS the Umbaran Support Vessel which I don't think we have official sizes on but probably small? Need to rewatch those episodes. Then there is the Diamond-class which would be Small as well at only 200m in length, admittedly quite a bit wider but looking at crew and compliment its not a very big craft and its very thin.

Another vouch for the Umbaran-Space-Zepplin thing:

open-uri20150608-27674-gooldh_3099f421.j

Just Eyeballin' it from the concept art - I figure its in the 400m range. Could help pad out the small-(ish?) ships for the CIS Navy.

I'm not to sure the Trident really is a small ship. IIRC we see two variants of different size in the Mon Cala arc and only the smaller ones during the battle of Kamino (both in TCW and BFII). Those seem to be roughly irregular squadron size (the current upper limit for these are the pretty enormous VCX-100 and Komk'r (spelled right?)), best seen through the small interior. The larger one seems to be flotilla sized, offering the Seppies potential access to a combat flotilla, just like the Braha'tok for the rebs.

As far as flotillas go, the Star Shuttle may be the best fit for the republic. Some were converted into military service (like the GR-75 for the Rebellion) and only had a couple of Turbolasers. Also seen in the Phantom Menace (see first 18 second s ).

Also the CIS’s flotilla could be the C-ROC variant of the Gozanti (74 meters), or the CIS Landing Craft (though a little on the long side at 210 meters), or even the Pengitux-Class Light transport (55 me ters ).

EDIT: You also forgot about the Victory Class Star Destroyer, as well as the Gladiator and the Dreadnought Class Heavy Cruiser, and the Corellian Gunship , which were all part of the Republic (from one report or another, though some could be legends now).

I think it would also be cool to include a Space Tug as a support ship as they can move/tow large ships and even move asteroids, which sounds like good fun lol. 😂

Edited by JediPartisan
On 1/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, chrismcw said:

Another vouch for the Umbaran-Space-Zepplin thing:

open-uri20150608-27674-gooldh_3099f421.j

Just Eyeballin' it from the concept art - I figure its in the 400m range. Could help pad out the small-(ish?) ships for the CIS Navy.

Umbarran tech looks so cool. Truly “sci-fi” in its design.

The DH Omni would be a really interesting support vessel. On a medium base & with (I’d hope) at least 2 fleet support slots.

Maybe throw in some other interesting mechanics somehow as well.

So, @Clone Wars Forever does the announcement of the "Venator-class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack" finally convince you that the republic Venator is indeed a "Star Destroyer"? 😉