Unicorn Splash

By FriendofYoda, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Just wondering what cards people think will splash well with the new Uni Stronghold?

It will depend on what type of deck you want to play.

I think the most obvious splash would be Dragon for Let Go. The new stronghold encourages big fate dumps on important characters (which will generally have important abilities) that will need to keep Cloud the Mind off of them to remain most effective.

That being said, I wouldn't rule out any clan for splash. The cards spoiled today open up many avenues for Unicorn to pursue.

Depend on strategy. I am not sure yet if I will use the new stronghold for example.

52 minutes ago, Victarion13 said:

Depend on strategy. I am not sure yet if I will use the new stronghold for example.

I agree. Shiro Shinjo will open up a new strategy, which will be aimed towards a longer game where the economic advantage will weigh out more.

HMT is more oriented towards a quick game where you destroy 4 provinces bu turn 2.

Of course, in tournaments, aiming for a longer game can bring well over the time limit...

I wonder if Fight On and StDarkness from Crab would be worth it

StD has not been quite as good as many of us had hoped. If you are in a meta where counters are commonplace then it generally ends up being just a loss of honor. Im sure it will have it's day but I don't think that time is now.

Fight On is very good if you're going to run any sort of tower deck. HMT is more about swarm so not entirely a great for, but, Shiro Shinjo is just around the corner and I suspect there will be great builds off that stronghold for big units.

25 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

StD has not been quite as good as many of us had hoped. If you are in a meta where counters are commonplace then it generally ends up being just a loss of honor. Im sure it will have it's day but I don't think that time is now.

Fight On is very good if you're going to run any sort of tower deck. HMT is more about swarm so not entirely a great for, but, Shiro Shinjo is just around the corner and I suspect there will be great builds off that stronghold for big units.

I do run in a counter heavy environment and sometimes its good to use effects to draw out the counters to protect your real money cards like charge.

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

I do run in a counter heavy environment and sometimes its good to use effects to draw out the counters to protect your real money cards like charge.

I think you can do that with other cards that don't cost you so much honor.

StD isn't terrible. I think it hasn't quite lived up to the expectations many had about it upon release.

Also 2 pips against your influence when there are so many cards from Crab worth splashing is sometimes problematic. Rebuild going on the restricted list that could get back your Yurts to help with the honor loss was also not very helpful.

When the Crab Clan pack comes out and Support of the Crab is available for role selection, I'd take another look at it, but, I think there is too much competition with the cards available in Crab splash to allow StD an opportunity to really shine.

Edited by Ishi Tonu
2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I think you can do that with other cards that don't cost you so much honor.

StD isn't terrible. I think it hasn't quite lived up to the expectations many had about it upon release.

Also 2 pips against your influence when there are so many cards from Crab worth splashing is sometimes problematic. Rebuild going on the restricted list that could get back your Yurts to help with the honor loss was also not very helpful.

When the Crab Clan pack comes out and Support of the Crab is available for role selection, I'd take another look at it, but, I think there is too much competition with the cards available in Crab splash to allow StD an opportunity to really shine.

The 2 Honor hit isn't that bad (its 1 more than a Banzai and the immunity to effects is worth that I think). STD lets me put boosts onto a 1 or 2 cost bodies that I may not otherwise consider since they are then asking to be assassinated or otherwise pushed out of conflicts. Its also protection for my big guys from effects like For Shame, and in HMT Lion that extra +4 mil is more gas to get you over the finish line so I'd consider it still. HMT Keeper of Earth is 12 influence so lets me run 2 STD, 2 Reprieve and I've still got 6 points to work with for other toys like Hiruma Skirmisher's who are great for getting an easy attack to turn on my box.

Since the comparison was between Fight On and StD, my assumption was that the role choice was seeker, and playing Unicorn.

I still like StD a lot but it's not the "ZOMG broken" card some people were claiming it to be, when it was released. It creates some lines of play not normally open to you with other stuff, but, Unicorn has a ton more options since CotE and getting more still with the Unicorn clan pack. I have yet to find space for StD since building with CotE in mind.

Player a seeker role with the new stronghold do any other options jump out so far?

Lion perhaps?

On 2/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, FriendofYoda said:

Player a seeker role with the new stronghold do any other options jump out so far?

Lion perhaps?

With seeker role for unicorn I'd consider Crab as this specifically opens up the water locked cards and there really aren't any great cards for water in the other clans.

Personally I think keeper is the better role at least until all the other "support of" clan roles come out.

It really depends on what you are trying to do with the deck.