Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

15 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Well, they are not going to publicly say they dislike the movie or denounce it in anyway.... Of course they would like to be a candidate for future spin off movies if there are any with these characters. It would be like telling your employer that the work you do is stupid and that you do not like it.

I would wager that most critics/general public are going to give this movie pretty positive reviews. There are a lot of grand looking set pieces and what appears to be a lot of action sequences to make it likely a pretty entertaining film. However, I bet the more hardcore fans are going to pan it just about as badly as TLJ. The leaks for this movie are just so puzzling and full of holes... I mean even if half true. Wow.

Reddit said the same thing about Avengers Endgame, and that turned out to be a really solid movie. We'll see. The leaks are, as far as I'm aware, broad arcs. It's not like the three primary leakers (JP, BB, and MSW) have the whole script, and the leaks certainly aren't based on the final edit. I'll happily wait to see the movie and make my determination then, good or bad.

I also wouldn't use "hardcore fans" in such a summary fashion personally, but to each their own. I consider myself an ardent fan of the saga, from OT through EU and including Disney's ventures into the series, and I enjoyed TLJ. I'm not on the "BEST SW MOVIE MAYBE EVER" train, but I also didn't mind the character developments we saw play out. I didn't mind broken Luke. And yes, that's anecdotal, but TLJ isn't so controversial because all these hardcore fans thought it was bad. It's controversial because it was so polarizing, causing a split in the hardcore fan base.

To your first point, I agree most wouldn't publicly criticize the movie (unless they didn't care...like Mark Hamill's issues with Luke's characterization), but they also aren't forced to be extremely positive. And by-and-large, they've praised it from what I've seen.

We'll see. I'm not going to judge it before I go in, and I'm not going to read into every little reaction we get from cast and crew either. Positive or negative.

Edited by dsul413
47 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Reddit said the same thing about Avengers Endgame, and that turned out to be a really solid movie. We'll see. The leaks are, as far as I'm aware, broad arcs. It's not like the three primary leakers (JP, BB, and MSW) have the whole script, and the leaks certainly aren't based on the final edit. I'll happily wait to see the movie and make my determination then, good or bad.

I also wouldn't use "hardcore fans" in such a summary fashion personally, but to each their own. I consider myself an ardent fan of the saga, from OT through EU and including Disney's ventures into the series, and I enjoyed TLJ. I'm not on the "BEST SW MOVIE MAYBE EVER" train, but I also didn't mind the character developments we saw play out. I didn't mind broken Luke. And yes, that's anecdotal, but TLJ isn't so controversial because all these hardcore fans thought it was bad. It's controversial because it was so polarizing, causing a split in the hardcore fan base.

To your first point, I agree most wouldn't publicly criticize the movie (unless they didn't care...like Mark Hamill's issues with Luke's characterization), but they also aren't forced to be extremely positive. And by-and-large, they've praised it from what I've seen.

We'll see. I'm not going to judge it before I go in, and I'm not going to read into every little reaction we get from cast and crew either. Positive or negative.

I should have quantified "Hardcore", what I meant was anyone who goes beyond just watching the films or shows. The type of fans that go on an Off-Topic sub Forum for a Star Wars Miniature game and talk about said movies/shows ad nauseum. 😝

ujt3fb2nyn241.jpg

Make me proud.

Spoiler

Spoiler

EK9bLTeU8AENyo4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Princess Leia’s costume at the press conference today confirms she is in part training Rey.

💕

15 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Weird, in the last 24 hours I've gotten two arrays of five reactions to my posts in this thread by two people.

Almost as if I'm being targeted.

Or perhaps as though people have been out of town and not glued to the internet and are just now catching up on the latest histrionics.

As one of the people you're not calling out by name, I can assure you you were not the only person who's posts I reacted to.

5 hours ago, NotBatman said:

Or perhaps as though people have been out of town and not glued to the internet and are just now catching up on the latest histrionics.

As one of the people you're not calling out by name, I can assure you you were not the only person who's posts I reacted to.

Fair.
But hey, at least I'm not naming.

2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Marvel and Star Wars crossover confirmed.

Kylo in the MCU is gonna happen people.

6 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

5upo5z5x2q241.png

‘Cyclops’

18b8bcs05q241.jpg

First Order Walker (?)

39 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

5upo5z5x2q241.png

‘Cyclops’

18b8bcs05q241.jpg

First Order Walker (?)

Looks like a FO AT-DP.

14 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

I should have quantified "Hardcore", what I meant was anyone who goes beyond just watching the films or shows. The type of fans that go on an Off-Topic sub Forum for a Star Wars Miniature game and talk about said movies/shows ad nauseum. 😝

Plenty of people who fit that definition like The Last Jedi.

8 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

‘Cyclops’

So a crossover with HBO's the Watchment then?

I wouldn't expect anybody related to the the movie to speak ill of it this time around, whether they'd like to or not. It's going to be largely spectacle with an attempt at a trilogies worth of plot crammed in & it will probably be about the same quality as TFA in that it's middling at best. We can safely assume we'll be told it was a billion $ run but that'll be about all we hear.

I'd see it if my friends go but they probably won't so I won't. I think the saddest part is that there are people who can make good Star Wars stuff but they clearly weren't involved enough in the ST.

5 hours ago, rawbean said:

Plenty of people who fit that definition like The Last Jedi.

...and plenty more didn't. You know actually I didn't hate TLJ... As a movie in a vacuum its okay. However, when you zoom out and pair it with the first installment the two just go together like oil and water. TFAs was the safest movie imaginable and walks the tight rope to being a straight up reboot of the franchise. I guess my biggest gripe in all of this, besides all the nitpicking you can do with the plot and the direction of the characters or lack thereof, is that there is too much of a pendulum swing between the movies. Super safe Star Wars movie to a super edgy one that says lets throw in a bunch of stuff we've never seen before (weaponized hyperspace, force space flying, etc) and "subvert expectations." Also, there just isn't enough answered in the 2nd movie, because the director didn't really care about answering it in the first place. It wasn't his story in the 1st movie. It will be interesting to see if JJ actually answers some of the lost threads or just kind of ignores them all together.

27 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Also, there just isn't enough answered in the 2nd movie, because the director didn't really care about answering it in the first place. It wasn't his story in the 1st movie. It will be interesting to see if JJ actually answers some of the lost threads or just kind of ignores them all together.

I'm curious to know.

How many of those questions was really questions that needed to be answered in the second movie, versus questions that was expected to be answered by fans?

For exemple, was it really needed to know in the second movie who is Snoke to understand and follow the story? I know that fans expected to know who he was and from where he was coming from, but what if it is meant to remain a mystery until the end of the trilogy? We are talking about Star Wars here, we have a background about everything. I'm pretty sure that if we don't get an answer in Episode 9 about Snoke, we'll eventually get one in another media. So this lack of background that is considered a flaw by some today might not be one later once we get the answers elsewhere.

I think a lot of those not answered questions has more to do about fans expectation (wanting to know everything about Star wars universe) than questions that really needed to be answered in Episode 2. My personal opinion of course, but I don't think that there is a question left unanswered that was needed to enjoy The Last Jedi, or maybe I'm forgetting one. Don't get me wrong, there is still plenty of unanswered questions that I hope that episode 9 will answer, but I can't think of one that was needed to be answered in Episode 8.

14 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I'm curious to know.

How many of those questions was really questions that needed to be answered in the second movie, versus questions that was expected to be answered by fans?

For exemple, was it really needed to know in the second movie who is Snoke to understand and follow the story? I know that fans expected to know who he was and from where he was coming from, but what if it is meant to remain a mystery until the end of the trilogy? We are talking about Star Wars here, we have a background about everything. I'm pretty sure that if we don't get an answer in Episode 9 about Snoke, we'll eventually get one in another media. So this lack of background that is considered a flaw by some today might not be one later once we get the answers elsewhere.

I think a lot of those not answered questions has more to do about fans expectation (wanting to know everything about Star wars universe) than questions that really needed to be answered in Episode 2. My personal opinion of course, but I don't think that there is a question left unanswered that was needed to enjoy The Last Jedi, or maybe I'm forgetting one. Don't get me wrong, there is still plenty of unanswered questions that I hope that episode 9 will answer, but I can't think of one that was needed to be answered in Episode 8.

In the case of Snoke, it's less about not answering questions about him so much as rendering him moot. It doesn't matter who he is if he's dead & has no bearing on the conclusion. In TFA he's enigmatic, in TLJ he's stupid. If they weren't bringing Palpatine back then I'd expect a bait & switch but you'll get some dialogue by Palp explaining him away.

I would actually be willing to bet that ROS will make no mention of Snoke at all. Like he never even existed. I mean, why even have him in the movies at all? Why not make Hux or Kylo the top bad guy from the jump? It would be like the Emperor getting killed off in the end of ESB. What would have been the point of having a character that ranks higher than Vader?

Tinfoil hat time... I am pretty sure JJ intended to have Snoke the big baddy is this trilogy and Rian said screw it, I need a big twist... Lets have Kylo betray him. Enter a resurrected (some how) ole Palpy…

2 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

I would actually be willing to bet that ROS will make no mention of Snoke at all. Like he never even existed. I mean, why even have him in the movies at all? Why not make Hux or Kylo the top bad guy from the jump? It would be like the Emperor getting killed off in the end of ESB. What would have been the point of having a character that ranks higher than Vader?

Tinfoil hat time... I am pretty sure JJ intended to have Snoke the big baddy is this trilogy and Rian said screw it, I need a big twist... Lets have Kylo betray him. Enter a resurrected (some how) ole Palpy…

I was assuming some clone BS after they killed Snoke. Him getting iced was just another occurrence well after I had clocked out. Palp coming back does just stink of pandering to get back in the good graces.

sfpatb663v241.jpg

I’m insanely happy about this.