New LCG on the Horizon?

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

It feels like they are burning away their competitive LCGs. We only have two left (AGOT and L5R). So far all the new competitive card games they've announced have been blind purchase. I've long suspected that they are rethinking the idea of a viable long term competitive LCG. There are many downsides to the model as far as sustainability is concerned. I hope if they announce a new competitive LCG they look hard at their model and try to address things like barrier of entry and more rapidly correcting toxic card pools. The co-ops (because of their nature) don't have this issue so the model as implemented today works just fine for LOTR and AH:TCG.

My guess would be if they announce another card game any time soon it would be Android themed considering they have a huge library of art for that world, but no active card game to put those assets to work. Though I also sincerely wonder if they'll release another competitive LCG or if they just go co-op with the LCG model going forward since that just seems like an easier fit.

Hey-yo, my son & I jam on Android & we've been stockin up on data packs and such to keep it thriving for our table top. We just discovered "NextRunner" , who's picking up the new release(s) torch, so...

...there is hope!

This is what we stumbled across:

http://nisei.net/about/nisei

I think if they go competitive, they might wait a little bit longer to figure out what works and doesn't work. I think they definitely need to rethink how they release product for LCGs, as well as testing.

And their new LCG is Marvel...by Nate French of LotR and AH LCG fame.

Ok. Take my money already...

Marvel game sounds great. 😁 Card layout looks terrible though. Hope it's not final.

2 hours ago, MMOfan said:

And their new LCG is Marvel...by Nate French of LotR and AH LCG fame.

Ok. Take my money already...

Yeah, absolutely loving the look of it so far. Baring any last minute missteps this will definitely be replacing L5R for me.

I'm just loving the fact there's a ' !!! ' token.

Also, the fact it includes She-Hulk in the starter set means I'll probably be ritually sacrificed to dark and terrible powers by my Wife if we don't get it.

The cards look fine to me but the token look a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Luckily they are the easiest part of the experience to replace.

I'm also extremely happy that She-Hulk made the cut for the starter box. They could have gone safe and picked a name from the MCU like Thor or Black Widow. She's a great character and the recent Charles Soule run on She-Hulk which concentrated on her law practice was fantastic. I wish it was an ongoing.

Edited by phillos
On 4/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, phillos said:

It feels like they are burning away their competitive LCGs. We only have two left (AGOT and L5R). So far all the new competitive card games they've announced have been blind purchase.

It's true. I said this would happen years ago when Destiny was announced and was roundly derided for it. But it's true. Blind purchase makes more money than LCG. The whole point of LCG was to build goodwill with the fans and lure them away from magic. Now that there are a ton of competitors besides Magic, there's less loyalty to the LCG model, and so they are jumping ship back to **** Keyforge-type games.