New LCG on the Horizon?

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

Well it is about that time of the year where we baselessly speculate on new LCGs coming at Gencon.

They would have known Star Wars was ending a while ago, although Destiny probably took that spot.

But I expect they knew Android was leaving sometime in mid to late 2017.

So that means there is potential for a new one this year, or they were planning on having it anyways. Keyforge may eat into that, but the fact is that there is no Sci-Fi LCg with Netrunner, Conquest, and Star Wars all gone.

Perhaps there is a shifting away from the LCG model.

1 minute ago, Ywingscum said:

Perhaps there is a shifting away from the LCG model.

I'm not going back to random packs for anything. That includes both CCG (like SW Destiny) and Unique (like Keyforge). And I think I'm far from the only one.

The LCG model appealed to a different type of population than the CCG. Before the LCG model was made, card players had not much choice. Now they have. THe LCG model has shown its flaws however and it can be understandable a publisher wants to no longer go full in. It will be just a matter of profitability in the end.

I hope they will keep it rolling. This is the only model I'll accept when it comes to an evolving card game.

I am guite sure that there will not be new Lcg yet... maybe next year. The SW and exspecially Netrunner did take them by surprice.

the best selling among those left. Are arkham and Lotr so one more co-op maybe? The competative games Are not going too well I supose. Very Little buss among competative Lcg and very few players.

I don't think they will have another Unique Card game for a while. Especially with Keyforge still starting and the time it took. They might not have another, period. Way too much overlap with each other unless they can get a unique game concept. Best is probably some board games.
I don't think they have a property that can support a CCG like Destiny.

For properties they have Android, Runebound, Twilight Imperium, and those 2 Genesys settings. The steampunk and werid-war one. The Genesis ones seem very unlikely since they are based on a single game, and don't even have their splat book.

Runebound has possibility. But they already have 3 fantasy LCGs, Runewars TMG just crashed, and I don't think there is enough to make it stand out.

Twilight Imperium has possibilities. It has a lot of open room and is a sort of flagship for FFG. They don't have the RPG supplement either, but they at least have some recognition and room to expand. There is the issue of 17 factions, but they could focus on the core factions and use the others as mini-factions, or something. It might be interesting to have identities be a planet, or flagship.

That leaves Android. Obviously with Netrunner gone there is room for a new one set in the world. The question is how much lead time they had for it ending, and if they have a new game. I see a few potential ideas for a new game. Competitive with factions other than Corps. Perhaps something a bit more geopolitical with a spy game set in the world. OrgCrime competitive. Or maybe a Co-op game playing as Runners/detectives akin to the original Android Game. Go back to the cyberpunk roots of the world. Solving mysteries and all that.

They might have room for another competitve, but I definitely think there is room for a co-op.

14 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

I'm not going back to random packs for anything. That includes both CCG (like SW Destiny) and Unique (like Keyforge). And I think I'm far from the only one.

I wouldn't have even gotten into card games if they random packs. If it wasn't for the LCG model, I wouldn't be playing.

I remember the big card boom of the 90s, and that soured me on the idea of random packs for good.

Yeah I can't handle random other than Keyforge.

I'm still asking and hoping for a multi-player focused LCG with political maneuvering, deal breaking, bluffing, and hidden information. Ideally, a vampire-themed LCG.

There allready is Games of thrones... hard to see Many new... I personally would hope Dune ccg remake, but hope is even slimmer in there.

Especially since FFG already failed to get a Dune license. That's why they remade the Dune boardgame in the Twilight Imperium universe.

sounds that that would fit well with the Vampire the Masquerade license.

Edited by Moon-beast King
On 2/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, DrugsForRobots said:

I'm still asking and hoping for a multi-player focused LCG with political maneuvering, deal breaking, bluffing, and hidden information. Ideally, a vampire-themed LCG.

sounds that that would fit well with the Vampire the Masquerade license

20 hours ago, Moon-beast King said:

sounds that that would fit well with the Vampire the Masquerade license

They passed on the license, and they don't need it. They can do with VTM what they did with Dune: make their own kick-*** universe (a la Twilight Imperium).

I know a lot of people would be borred by another one, but I want a coop star wars JCE that would adapt the movie ^^

Hm i would not like a SW one, too much SW now, plus not anything where they can use the same old art yet again, we need something brand new and fresh.

The problem with LCG's over CCG's is that 90% of the player cards we get are useless, you end up paying all that money for packs just for the adventure deck.

I would not object a LCG that had a few CCG packs released, although with there games getting anything after the initial release is hard and mostly why i give up, especially with sellers selling packs for crazy prices.

Ok with you about the useless of so much player cards at some point. I would see more deep treatement for the scenarios in place of them.

I would like a Lcg that would use same deckuilding mechanics as the SW Lcg did have! It did make use Also those cards that you normally did not use! The objectives playing cards Bundle was one of the best ideas for long time in Lcg!

eh, just take a look on the FFG facebook page. They told something about a product annoucement on March 27th at 1PM. And the demos that follow it are all star wars related. So ... perhaps am I right about a coop Star Wars LCG ?? For those that already play a lot of star wars games, put their money in something with half re-used artwork would be borring, but for myself, I just waited THis Star Wars game, and not buy a single star wars related game just in case a coop star wars lcg come to me someday. So wait for it ^^ ... But this is just a product annoucement, not strongly for a new game, perhaps just a wave for legion or x-wing ...

It is probably a Star Wars Product, but it could be another new game. A co-op LCG seems possible. Destiny fills the competitive itch, and they might have worked out the kinks to get co-op to work.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:46 AM, Fewzz said:

The problem with LCG's over CCG's is that 90% of the player cards we get are useless, you end up paying all that money for packs just for the adventure deck.

I would not object a LCG that had a few CCG packs released, although with there games getting anything after the initial release is hard and mostly why i give up, especially with sellers selling packs for crazy prices.

Huh? What LCG are you referring to? LotR? Haven't played it because I looked at the player cards and thought most of the designs were weak or unexciting. However, NetRunner and Arkham Horror have mostly amazing card designs and, especially with AH, the vast majority of the cards are playable.

One thing I think they should do: have Core [Adventure/Data/Battle/Scenario] Packs. Like, instead of buying x3 Core Sets do get the necessary copies, we could get all the necessary Uniques, components, and flavor-specific cards in the Core Set, and then a Core [X] Pack gives us the essential neutral / generic cards. Think: Rather than x3 Sure Gamble from NetRunner (or 3x Banzai! from L5R) being in the Core Set, it would be in the Core Pack.

I would say have "Core decks" That basically give you a basic deck. And then have a "Core Set" that expands it with neutrals and splashible cards, maybe a few uniques.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:01 PM, Radix2309 said:

I would say have "Core decks" That basically give you a basic deck. And then have a "Core Set" that expands it with neutrals and splashible cards, maybe a few uniques.

Actually, yes, this would probably be the better way to do it. Avoids having to cram 7 factions / colors into the core set as singletons and lets players opt into buying their favorite faction / color deck. Probably lowers the barrier to entry

God, I wish there would be something new on the horizon, but it seems rather unlikely. Netrunner fell away unexpectedly, Lord of the Rings doesn't seem to be letting off steam, and both Destiny and Keyforge seem to exist in a similar space - albeit geared to a more casual crowd. That's still a lot of balls to juggle.

Add onto that that Fantasy Flight's LCG's have tended to stick quite safely to strong IP's with an avid following (Star Wars, LotR, Cthulhu stuff, L5R, aGoT). Knowing what we know now about the licenses that FF holds, I don't see anything on the horizon.

The only wrinkle of hope I'd say is the new Dune movie. The game license for the movie has been awarded to Gale Force 9:

The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniatures games are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of DUNE in 2020. In addition, GF9 plans to align with other game companies on numerous categories and formats in the future.

That last sentence could mean a lot of things, but it doesn't sound like anything's on the table at the moment.

I feel the same way. I'm looking for the next, strong LCG.

I'm sure that a week after FFG pulled the plug on Netrunner, they got the in-house design and development team in a conference room and started on the next LCG.

I would greatly enjoy a Dune LCG, but FFG knows the damage of losing a license. I'd hope that they would negotiate a six-year deal for a license or create a game with an in-house I.P. like Terrinoth or Twilight Imperium.

So many thousands of people played Netrunner. The live streams of games and the ones archived on YouTube show how large and diverse a following a well-built game can create and sustain.

Edited by terryfuller