Corruption condition and Father Mateo

By Terraneaux, in General Discussion

The Corruption condition says "if you would gain a Boon, discard this instead." If Father Mateo gives an investigator who has a Corruption condition a boon... what happens?

2 hours ago, Terraneaux said:

The Corruption condition says "if you would gain a Boon, discard this instead." If Father Mateo gives an investigator who has a Corruption condition a boon... what happens?

You discard that ( the Corruption condition ) instead ( of gaining a Boon condition ).

Edited by tsuma534

12 hours ago, tsuma534 said:

You discard that ( the Corruption condition ) instead ( of gaining a Boon condition ).

Yes, but what happens to the Boon condition? Does Father Mateo get to keep it?

10 hours ago, Terraneaux said:

It would be discarded. Father Mateo gives the condition to the other investigator, so he doesn't have it anymore. But instead of receiving it, the other investigator loses their corruption condition. Both cards get discarded.

11 hours ago, Terraneaux said:
23 hours ago, tsuma534 said:
On 1/17/2019 at 8:12 AM, Terraneaux said:

I'm sorry but we both screwed up. I haven't bothered to check Father's Mateo actual wording and you haven't bothered to post it with your question.

For the clarity, here it is:

Action: Give 1 of your Boon Conditions to another investigator on any space.

While I can answer questions for any other expansion with 99,5% accuracy, Masks of Nyarlathotep is different. It doesn't stick to the original wording templates and instead uses a more natural language a lot.
Read "natural" as "ambiguous".
For moving things around we have two established keywords, "gain" and "trade". But Father Mateo uses an unprecedented word "give".
If "give"'ing has the other investigator "gain" the Boon condition then it's discarded together with the Corrupted condition.
But if "give"'ing means "trade"'ing the Boon condition to the other investigator, then the other investigator would end up with both conditions.
Both interpretations seem fine to me but I would choose the "discard both" as the other one would leave the game in a somewhat confusing state.

There's also the possible interpretation that Father Mateo keeps his Boon condition while the Corrupted condition is discarded.
While the text can be understood this way, this variant would be demented by any official ruling as it's not only confusing but it would also upset the game balance significantly.