Imperial Advisor

By Bazleebub, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Honestly, I think the Phoenix deck is still the 'strongest' in the environment. The Crane and Scorpion decks that did so well at Krakow were the ones actively playing cards to stop the Forebearer's combo. So we see lots of cancels, we see a decent number of Peasant Advice to remove the bird before it's charged out, stuff like that.

The eventual winner, Konstantios, had build his deck to meta against the decks metaing Phoenix. There are some great notes from him at the bottom of the article that really sum it up.

Phoenix players might be able to adjust their strategy to move away from the 'raw power' style and add in more subtlety. I'm a little surprised the Master of Gisei Toshi isn't making the cut, as it would make their spells more reliable, but I'm not a Phoenix player so there might be some reason. They're already playing Ancestral Shrine to try deal with the Scorpion matchup, so there's definitely a meta back and forth happening.

It'll be interesting to see how Nova goes. The difference between Gencon and Krakow might be regional, as suggested, with the US environment more focused on fine tuning the 'best deck' while the EU environment is more focused on working out the meta cards needed to 'beat the best deck'. Now all the EU decks are posted though, we might see the US meta shift? Or will US players mentally backflip and claim that the Forebearer's deck isn't the best deck anyway?

Well from Aneil's perspective, the other clans just "figured out how to play against Echobird" so between that attitude and some comments I've seen from my fellow Phoenix, I think for NOVA we're likely to see a much higher percentage of Phoenix players on Seeker of Void decks instead of Keeper of Air. Especially since the Toronto GC was won by Seeker of Void Phoenix.

Incidentally, and I'm sure this has little to do with perceived deck strengths or meta shifts, I think we'll likely see some bandwagon action with Dragon at NOVA, after seeing only 1 Dragon show up for Toronto (I'm still kicking myself a bit for not playing a random Dragon deck at Toronto to snag the easy promos).

I think that the Seeker Phoenix is actually better against the field, but Echo Bird dominates the mirror.

• Review for pack 4 here .
  • A bunch of events also added along with tons of decklists.
  • Youtube has our review of the Lion pack.

We've also got a bit of a backlog of articles that we're working on, so keep an eye out for those.

Baz

Yay! Content. Many thanks!

Episode 60! This time we consider how the Kotei season started, the improvements for this year, and we the changes announced for the upcoming year.

Theres a review for the dragon clan pack, but not for the crab one (or the reamining packs of the past cycle). Will they be coming soon? I really like your reviews

7 minutes ago, RafaelNN said:

Theres a review for the dragon clan pack, but not for the crab one (or the reamining packs of the past cycle). Will they be coming soon? I really like your reviews

I've been a little slower on writing articles lately due to a number a reasons, but one was finishing up my university course which I finally completed this week! We'll probably still be quiet until after Christmas but I'm hopeful we'll catch up after that.

Eoin has actually been working on the Crab pack! So there's a draft partially complete, that just needs the last few details.

Awesome, cant wait and grats on thw course! =D

Fantastic episode, and couldn't agree more with Baz's comments about both the current state of the game and its future. Well said, dude.

When is preview of pack 2 of dominion cycle? Cards are already revealed and on jigoku and five rings db.

10 hours ago, BayushiFugu said:

When is preview of pack 2 of dominion cycle? Cards are already revealed and on jigoku and five rings db.

Ha! You are right. We had started writing it up but it ended up on hold. I'll get working on it again this weekend as we're expecting to see the next pack soon too!

On 5/8/2020 at 3:17 AM, Bazleebub said:

Ha! You are right. We had started writing it up but it ended up on hold. I'll get working on it again this weekend as we're expecting to see the next pack soon too!

Great review. BTW, third pack is up at cardgamedb if you want to review that one too. :)

Hopefully pack 4 will get previews and then FFG will reveal the last pack of the cycle (Atonement)

Time to review pack 4 lol

Ikoma Tsanuri and Isawa Tsuki are amazing

Hey, there's a quote from the previous Elemental Master of Earth.