Regional Meta

By Cyklop_Storm, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

With regional championships starting this month, I am wondering what lists we will see? Besides IG/hunters, han/rangers, and spectre cell, I'm not sure what lists are currently in the meta. This is my first tournament, aside from a smallish town store championship, so I am not sure what all to expect.

Edited by Cyklop_Storm
added reason for question

Yes, I too, would like some more details on common lists we're likely to see at the top table at upcoming Regionals for IA.

I'm, uh...asking for a friend...

1 hour ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

With regional championships starting this month, I am wondering what lists we will see? Besides IG/hunters, han/rangers, and spectre cell, I'm not sure what lists are currently in the meta. This is my first tournament, aside from a smallish town store championship, so I am not sure what all to expect.

The one you mentioned definitely. Also IG+Hondo. You may see some Chewie+smugglers nostalgic. Vader +Thrawn+DTs or Vader+palp+Thrawn or other unshakeable Vader variants. Han+Drok, Han+Sabine. Then new map will come and things will change.

How do you think an IG+BT+Hondo or a Palp+Thrawn+BT army would do. I think that those combinations have a lot going for them, but I haven't been able to test them out much. Do they have a decent chance against Spectre? With my palp thrawn bt army I'm kinda worried that my heavy hitters are a tad squishy. Both lists have 7 activations, so they should be fine there.

Figures with pierce gain a bit of value against Spectre’s auto block. I haven’t tried out BT, but I think he’s going to be about as swingy as he is normally. I really like Palp against Spectre. Keep him safe and he can help change the tempo against them.

I've been running BT in a droid list against spectre for a month or so. He will usually put through about 4 damage onto a spectre figure with his rainbow dice, and nothing or 1 damage with his barrage rockets. He usually dies after 2 attacks, sometimes 3 if you are lucky. In my games he tends to be the first figure to die. That could be me leaving him a little further out to draw fire away from other figures, but people also love shooting BT, because if you don't shoot him his attacks can add up quickly.

The regional I went to last month had a Riot swarm, Ig/Hunters, IG/Smugglers, and 8-9 activation Han/Smugglers as the most common lists.

I had scavenged weaponry equipped to him. Would Terro be a better/safer bet?

EDIT: I changed BT out for terro. Overall, I like the list better as it has more synergy with my death troopers. I have motivation on Palp, but I'm not sure if rule by fear or feeding frenzy on terro would be better than that.

The list is http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/8d0fad07a3a3a25c8000000000000046709498775758725a352be6801c04

Edited by Cyklop_Storm
decided to change BT out

Spectre Cell

Han Rangers

IG Hunters

Jabba+Sabine point hunters

Rebel bench hitters (Drokkatta, Ahsoka, etc)

Vader Palp Thrawn

Feeding frenzy is interesting as an idea and could help with his damage output, but Zillo definitely has a place in this pierce heavy meta. I usually leave terro and my dewbacks not upgraded as I tend to use them as body blockers and mobile cover.

That looks like a fun list Cyklop. Terro/Thrawn/Blaise almost screams at me to take some Riots for more strain and attacking the command deck further, but I would have to think on it a bit on how to keep your activations up.

I love Data theft, but I want to ask what you mean to accomplish with it? Trooper lists aren't as common these days, which cards are you planning on stealing? Intel Leak might be the better choice, and it doesn't cost an action. I'm also a huge fan of New Orders, but you have 4 leaders that probably want to be doing something else with their actions. Do you have a plan there?

@Tvboy , what does the Jabba + Sabine list look like?

Data theft would be for cards such as new orders, planning, element of surprise, and celebration. New orders would mainly be for palp, as he gets a lot of value without even needing actions. I didn't take intel leak as I have blaise, who can do that anyway, just with a different, although worse, cost.

7 hours ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

I had scavenged weaponry equipped to him. Would Terro be a better/safer bet?

EDIT: I changed BT out for terro. Overall, I like the list better as it has more synergy with my death troopers. I have motivation on Palp, but I'm not sure if rule by fear or feeding frenzy on terro would be better than that.

The list is http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/8d0fad07a3a3a25c8000000000000046709498775758725a352be6801c04

I think Terro is a solid choice. Look at adding Ferocity to your command deck if you have it/have room for it. I’ve been running quite a bit of Palp/Thrawn/Terro, and I like the feel of it.

I’m personally not a fan of Blaise, but have wanted to try him out with this squad? How do you think he performs with this group?

if you like Blaise, I would consider dropping your regular death trooper down to an officer so you can pick up RBF, or another upgrade

Edited by Fightwookies

I changed the list some with your suggestions. I haven't really tried Blaise out much, but I am testing out how well he works with this army tonight, so I should get some good feedback/experience from it. Dropping the regular death trooper down to an officer is a great idea. It fills a whole in the army, and I don't care for how the regular death trooper can only hand out 1 token the whole game. The updated list is below.

http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/8d0fad07a3a31a5c807000000000004694987ad67757581e352be6801c04

edit: I'm not sure if I should keep motivation, or if I should change it to survivalist, feeding frenzy, doubt, or extra armor

Edited by Cyklop_Storm
added question

Thanks Tvboy. Nice list.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Thanks Tvboy. Nice list.

I just threw that together quickly based on what I know about the archetype. Some people cut Jabba and Onar for IG-88, some people run R2 in there, it's a pretty flexible list.

1 hour ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

I changed the list some with your suggestions. I haven't really tried Blaise out much, but I am testing out how well he works with this army tonight, so I should get some good feedback/experience from it. Dropping the regular death trooper down to an officer is a great idea. It fills a whole in the army, and I don't care for how the regular death trooper can only hand out 1 token the whole game. The updated list is below.

http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/8d0fad07a3a31a5c807000000000004694987ad67757581e352be6801c04

edit: I'm not sure if I should keep motivation, or if I should change it to survivalist, feeding frenzy, doubt, or extra armor

I'm a big fan of motivation on Palpatine. The movement point for the other figure synergizes well with his emperor ability. You can have another figure pop out to where they have LoS to someone the opponent thought was safe. I'd skip out on feeding frenzy.

Work in progress, but almost done for Regional tomorrow (Chicago). Keep changing the lineup around, which I have a bad habit of doing. Need to move on to the Command Cards.

IG-88 w/Focused on the Kill (12), Onar Koma (6), Hondo Ohnaka (6), Vinto Hreeda (5), eClawdite Shapeshifter (6), Gideon Argus + Temp Alliance (3)

puts me at 39 points.

I could downgrade the Clawdite and add C3PO or tinker with other possibilities. But then I might be up all night. :)

How did it go?

On 1/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Work in progress, but almost done for Regional tomorrow (Chicago). Keep changing the lineup around, which I have a bad habit of doing. Need to move on to the Command Cards.

IG-88 w/Focused on the Kill (12), Onar Koma (6), Hondo Ohnaka (6), Vinto Hreeda (5), eClawdite Shapeshifter (6), Gideon Argus + Temp Alliance (3)

puts me at 39 points.

I could downgrade the Clawdite and add C3PO or tinker with other possibilities. But then I might be up all night. :)

Did you play against Brian in the final game? Was running a Han, drokkatta, Sabine list?

Yes, I did play Brian from Michigan during round 4. I went into the Regional looking to be competitive and just have fun. Went 1-3, which for me was beyond what I was looking for. That was my first "W" playing IA. Had a really good time, and was able to get a LOT of good advice about my list and playing in general. Looking forward to trying out a lot of command cards the guys talked with me about and tricks they used. We had 14 players. Not sure the overall breakdown of squads, but I faced Spectre Cell, Vader/Palpatine/Thrawn, Vader/Troopers/Royal Guards, and Han/DRokkatta/Sabine/Hera/R2/3PO.

One of the big take aways was be more aware of who I was attacking with what figures. Vinto attacked the first Vader I played several times hoping to lay some damage on him, but basically got nothing through. I realized too late I should have gone after the lesser characters that I probably could have hit. Little things like that. Had a huge miss vs. Han because he was able to dodge with his roll, and Hera was able to escape with (I think) On the Lam when IG-88 probably would have killed her. Brian really utilized his command cards very well.

Like I said, had a great time, and can't wait for our next local get together to keep playing and trying out new things.

That video is great! That does help with a lot of the questions I had. How do you think my somewhat off meta list will go? Should I try to get another activation in there to better deal with the current meta lists as most of them have 8 activations? I figure that Terro's squishyness proplem is at least partly solved by blaise being able to hide him. I also stuck feral swipes in there so that terro can do a 3 red dice melee attack if anyone gets too close.

14 minutes ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

That video is great! That does help with a lot of the questions I had. How do you think my somewhat off meta list will go? Should I try to get another activation in there to better deal with the current meta lists as most of them have 8 activations? I figure that Terro's squishyness proplem is at least partly solved by blaise being able to hide him. I also stuck feral swipes in there so that terro can do a 3 red dice melee attack if anyone gets too close.

Honestly I would cut Swipes for Intel Leak (I'm assuming you already cut Data Theft). You're rolling 3 reds, but your opponent gets to roll 3 times as many defense dice as they normally would, so the damage output is actually lower most of the time. I don't think you're list is horrendously outclassed, but it is looking a little frail if you're not careful with your positioning, a lot of your figures can get knocked out very quickly. I would avoid trying to kill Vader if you play against him and focus on killing the rest of the list and winning on objectives, unless the Vader player just charges him in to all your figures with no backup. If you can outplay the scum players you could win that matchup, just try to keep your figures together so they can concentrate their fire and take down targets quickly. And if you have to play against Spectre, well, good luck. Thrawn and Terro are the only figures that can really threaten damage against them and they'll only be doing 3-5 damage per attack, so do your best to keep them alive (and get those bonus attacks and New Orders from Palpatine).

Edited by Tvboy

The death troopers will oftentimes have a surge token on them, so against a specter cell white die unit, even they have a 64% chance of getting 3 damage in. I also added in field tactician to help with the movement. That way I could potentially even have the officer go last and give terro 7 movement points to get in a good ferrocity/call the vangard if I have it. Also with the call the vangard wording, does that mean that you can choose what order the move and attack are? I know you can't do move attack move with it.