Battle on Sirtoscia: manoftomorrow010's Terrain Thread (Updated w/ Imperial Bunker)

By manoftomorrow010, in Terrain Building

Just wanted to highlight some of the tables at our Prime Championship yesterday. (LOL forgot the name of these events changed from the RPQ name)

We had 26 players, and 13 tables total, and some were set up in the AM day-of, so I didn't get pics of them, but these are from our setup the night before.

My table is the first pictured.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Great looking board! I love that battle mat, and the rest of the terrain fits it so well.

7 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Great looking board! I love that battle mat, and the rest of the terrain fits it so well.

Thanks! I received several compliments from players during and after the event who played on the table. I never got to have "homefield advantage" so to speak lol but it was great to hear people enjoyed it!

Where is it from?

Just now, Sharkbelly said:

Where is it from?

What do you mean?

Where is the mat from? Gamemat.eu? FAT Mats?

Just now, Sharkbelly said:

Where is the mat from? Gamemat.eu? FAT Mats?

oh okay, sorry lol the mat is from Frontline Gaming, actually. I have the same pattern 3x3 as well.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/

@MOT:

I love it when someone tailors their terrain to fit their mats. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb... 👍 . Your terrain ideas really rock my world. Thanks MOT, thanks for saving the model planet... 🌍

Respectfully,

Gunny

Everyone:

What I love about SWL or any SW themed game, is we have a whole galaxy of planet themes to choose from for our tables! You can mix and match your model buildings, hills, etc. to literally come up with untold combos of well, anything! We have a lot more flexibility than other games or historical periods... 🤘

Respectfully,

Gunny 🎲 🎲

I'm still working on numerous terrain features, and have two buildings to finish painting, but I really liked the way my table looked for my game last night. I went with a different approach and set up my buildings into a sort-of town in the center of the board, with 1 building in the dead center, and the others around it. The jungle features surrounded it with my light crates against buildings and things for added cover on approach.

20200123_164108

20200123_164125

Playing on it, though, the building formation left a lot of open space within the buildings, lacking cover once the fight escalated there. I think a more tight, and angled set-up would've been more interesting to play on, with something akin to streets and corners. I may try that once I get my last two buildings finished.

Also, my goal is to have enough jungle features to nearly fill my battlefield. Of course, I won't always fill the board for official games, but I like to play by rule-of-cool and I like as much terrain as possible. For fun games, or playing for fun at home, it makes the game more immersive, and my terrain has been built with that twin function in mind. For instance, I think of my large ridge terrain seen in the bottom left corner of the 2nd picture, I think of as clear terrain when you're on the lower level and nothing obscures your base, but being on top would be heavy cover. But, for competitive games, I would just agree on it as area terrain, being light or heavy, etc.

In the works are another large hill feature, like that seen in the lower left corner of picture 1. Also, I have an oddly shaped piece that is like a Y-shape, with multiple little hills on it. I also want to make a lot more little scatter pieces, and more of the palm tree groves!

Sirtoscia continues to take shape...

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Phase I of my jungle and hills terrain is almost complete, need to flock one more piece, but I'm planning out Phase II. I'll be able to fill half a 6x3 battlefield!

20200129_135405

Finished painting one of the most recent buildings I acquired. I'm thinking of putting a very fine sand on the roof. Also, I was thrilled to see that some of the new scatter crate pallets I have can fit on the roof, too. I have been thinking of ways to make the "town" portion of my terrain look more interesting/natural. I've also thought about putting an awning on the roof, which can be removed, or something like that. Still considering the fine sand!

20200129_183200

20200129_183207

20200129_183215

Ooh . pretty.

How do you get that splotchy pattern? Are you air brushing that? Or sponging it or just big dry brush?

It looks really nice. Do you play at home or at a store. I always enjoy your batreps.

Edited by buckero0
5 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Ooh . pretty.

How do you get that splotchy pattern? Are you air brushing that? Or sponging it or just big dry brush?

It looks really nice. Do you play at home or at a store. I always enjoy your batreps.

Thanks!

It's just dry brush stippling. I don't have an air brush so everything I do is by hand! haha

I play at a store, we have a league of about 30. But I also just play on my own at home. A fellow player is coming over this weekend to test some batrep videos, actually.

I really like that last building! Would you mind sharing where you got it?

For what it's worth, I love the idea of a removable awning. SWTOR has a lot of brilliant ideas for inspiration.

5 minutes ago, SFC Snuffy said:

I really like that last building! Would you mind sharing where you got it?

For what it's worth, I love the idea of a removable awning. SWTOR has a lot of brilliant ideas for inspiration.

Thanks!

I found the plan on Thingiverse, and had a friend print it. I may have the file still on my computer. I'll check when I get home.

Excellent work on the terrain mate.

@MOT

That's a cool sammich with awesome sauce! 👀

Respectfully,

Gunny 👍

Not much going on lately!

Here are some scatter crate pallets I finished up today. Eight in all.

20200317_165759

Here are some pics of my escape pod. I later finished it up with some spots of grass.

20200221_154105

20200221_154128

20200221_154154

What or where do you get your plants for the jungle terrain? I may be into that next. Are those Fishbowl plants, do you get them at the Hobby Lobby or do you order them only somewhere?

Do you glue them down or just pin them in the styrofoam insulation stuff?

1 minute ago, buckero0 said:

What or where do you get your plants for the jungle terrain? I may be into that next. Are those Fishbowl plants, do you get them at the Hobby Lobby or do you order them only somewhere?

Do you glue them down or just pin them in the styrofoam insulation stuff?

I buy them at Michael's, they are plastic plants that come in like, a "sheet" and you pluck them off, and I cut them further, so 1 sheet goes A LONG way. I bought 1 sheet of each type of plants I've used in my stuff, and am nowhere near using all of them yet lol They are a little expensive, like $20 ea., but again, I haven't even used 1 sheet of them yet, so the cost is well worth it.

Here's one of the products I'm using: https://www.michaels.com/dark-green-grass-mat-by-ashland/10276107.html

(I buy the palm trees on Amazon).

My general steps for that stuff:

1. Spackle the top of the pink foam, let it dry.
  2. Glue/paint mix the entire thing.
  3. Put sand on, let it all dry.
  4. Glue/paint mix over sand to seal it in.
  5. Hot glue the plastic plants on.
  6. Glue/paint mix over the areas around the plants to blend them in and further glue em down.
  7. Glue and flock: done!
4 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I buy them at Michael's, they are plastic plants that come in like, a "sheet" and you pluck them off, and I cut them further, so 1 sheet goes A LONG way. I bought 1 sheet of each type of plants I've used in my stuff, and am nowhere near using all of them yet lol They are a little expensive, like $20 ea., but again, I haven't even used 1 sheet of them yet, so the cost is well worth it.

Here's one of the products I'm using: https://www.michaels.com/dark-green-grass-mat-by-ashland/10276107.html

I've got a Michael's down the street and a Hobby Lobby. The only reason I go to Hobby Lobby is you can use a coupon and I kind of know where stuff is, Michaels is usually a mess (disorganized) Its probably just the management at our store here in town.

1 minute ago, buckero0 said:

I've got a Michael's down the street and a Hobby Lobby. The only reason I go to Hobby Lobby is you can use a coupon and I kind of know where stuff is, Michaels is usually a mess (disorganized) Its probably just the management at our store here in town.

that sucks! if you join michaels rewards program (free) they literally will send you like, 100 coupons a day lol i never pay anything full price in there haha there is always like a 40% a single item coupon it seems, every day lol but i bet Hobby Lobby has the same or similar products!

38 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

that sucks! if you join michaels rewards program (free) they literally will send you like, 100 coupons a day lol i never pay anything full price in there haha there is always like a 40% a single item coupon it seems, every day lol but i bet Hobby Lobby has the same or similar products!

Yeah, I noticed online that our Michaels doesn't carry that product. I'll probably do a drive by anyway and see if they have something similar. It's a plastic leaf right? I wonder if the AtHome or whatever they call themselves have something similar.

12 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Yeah, I noticed online that our Michaels doesn't carry that product. I'll probably do a drive by anyway and see if they have something similar. It's a plastic leaf right? I wonder if the AtHome or whatever they call themselves have something similar.

yep! it's just plastic