Battle on Sirtoscia: manoftomorrow010's Terrain Thread (Updated w/ Imperial Bunker)

By manoftomorrow010, in Terrain Building

Hi all, this just turned into my generic terrain making thread!

In my head, all of my pieces are on the planet Sirtoscia (i made it up), which as you can see in the later posts, has a mostly temperate climate with some jungle as well.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Here is a little clearer depiction.

20181216_224338

Interesting. I'm curious to see what that 'open space' is. ;)

On a more serious note, I don't think the spaces will be too cramped, albeit I'm the type that loves alot of terrain. HOWEVER, I always try to leave enough distance between bits to give the largest base the capable of getting through (in this case, the AT-ST and the Airspeeder)

3 hours ago, Alino said:

Interesting. I'm curious to see what that 'open space' is. ;)

On a more serious note, I don't think the spaces will be too cramped, albeit I'm the type that loves alot of terrain. HOWEVER, I always try to leave enough distance between bits to give the largest base the capable of getting through (in this case, the AT-ST and the Airspeeder)

Haha "open space" was just free and clear for movement and cover. It would just be some basic grass flock.

I don't own the airspeeder or at-st! Do you happen to know the diameter of their bases? I would like to plan ahead for them as you say lol

7 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Haha "open space" was just free and clear for movement and cover. It would just be some basic grass flock.

I don't own the airspeeder or at-st! Do you happen to know the diameter of their bases? I would like to plan ahead for them as you say lol

I have 2 AT-STs and 2 Airspeeders, one moment. The bases are about 4 inches wide. :)

2 hours ago, Alino said:

I have 2 AT-STs and 2 Airspeeders, one moment. The bases are about 4 inches wide. :)

thanks! hmm I measured the AT-RT and it was 4" wide as well, I thought the AT-ST and Snowspeeder bases were larger than that. I did plan to make room for the AT-RT so it sounds like I'm OK here.

I drew things out on a spare block of foam last night, to scale, and put some minis on, and I think I will have to either 1) go larger on the overall size, or 2) cut back on the "zones" of cover/difficult/impassable terrain to like 4, instead of 6.

Also, I don't have my escape pods from Imperial Terrain yet, when I get them, that could change my plan as well. I'm approximating its size based on their images in comparison with a trooper model.

1 hour ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

thanks! hmm I measured the AT-RT and it was 4" wide as well, I thought the AT-ST and Snowspeeder bases were larger than that. I did plan to make room for the AT-RT so it sounds like I'm OK here.

I drew things out on a spare block of foam last night, to scale, and put some minis on, and I think I will have to either 1) go larger on the overall size, or 2) cut back on the "zones" of cover/difficult/impassable terrain to like 4, instead of 6.

Also, I don't have my escape pods from Imperial Terrain yet, when I get them, that could change my plan as well. I'm approximating its size based on their images in comparison with a trooper model.

One moment, I'm going to go see if they use the same base.

The AT-RT base is a bit under 3 inches. Are you going by Centimeters?

15 minutes ago, Alino said:

One moment, I'm going to go see if they use the same base.

The AT-RT base is a bit under 3 inches. Are you going by Centimeters?

It was about 11:30 pm so maybe I was drowsy :D

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

It was about 11:30 pm so maybe I was drowsy :D

Possibly :)

My week was severely derailed and I didn't really get much of anything done, but I did manage to put together a little sniper's nest for commandos/scouts. This is the nest and I'll build the leg frames tomorrow, I think the platform will be exactly within height 1. You can fit 4 troopers in it, so it could hold 2 sniper strike teams, if you so choose, or stuff most of your squad in the nest.

Next steps are to add some camo netting and some flock/foliage. I'm gonna rely on that to blend it and not worry about painting.

To the posts above, I started on my swamp idea, but scaled it down dramatically. I did paint my crashed escape pod, though. I'll do some work on it and post some pics.

20181229_155846

20181229_155219

20181229_154746

Some updates on my sniper nest. Finishing up the top before adding the legs on.

First I bought some burlap woven ribbonn at the hobby store and hot glued it to the roof and sides.

20181231_102619

20181231_102754

Then I used some foliage/ground cover to finish the camouflage netting. The pics here aren't dry, so it's a mess everywhere. I'll seal it later this afternoon and be done with the main platform.

20181231_130357

20181231_130405

Might have to copy that sniper nest. I was hesitant when you first shared it but man that's great. My advice for future ones would be a brown wash over the entirety of the wood before applying flock and the like

Just now, Alino said:

Might have to copy that sniper nest. I was hesitant when you first shared it but man that's great. My advice for future ones would be a brown wash over the entirety of the wood before applying flock and the like

It's balsa wood and it warps VERY easily, so I avoided putting any water based things on it. If you frame it like I did, it may not warp, but I didn't want to risk it. I'm going to make a 2nd, and I might try the paint on that one.

4 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

It's balsa wood and it warps VERY easily, so I avoided putting any water based things on it. If you frame it like I did, it may not warp, but I didn't want to risk it. I'm going to make a 2nd, and I might try the paint on that one.

ah alright, I wasn't aware. I assume wood stain wouldn't work either if that's the case

Just now, Alino said:

ah alright, I wasn't aware. I assume wood stain wouldn't work either if that's the case

You can paint balsa, but you have to do some work beforehand. I think you gotta do some sand and sealer, and that was just too much work for me 😅

3 hours ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

You can paint balsa, but you have to do some work beforehand. I think you gotta do some sand and sealer, and that was just too much work for me 😅

Only if you're concerned about it remaining square, i.e. true to desired dimensions. For something like this a little warping wouldn't be such a bad thing, I think. You could always hit it with a wash before assembly, just so any warping doesn't create tension.

The legs turned out a little wonky cause I just eyeballed the angles. I'm gonna add some cross beams for more support. And a ladder of course.

20190101_090232 20190101_090258

Also, a view from the inside 😆

20181231_155102

If you want to model with wood, I'd recommend bass wood. It is easy to find (at most hobby stores), and if you get access to a laser cutter, you can really make the details pop. Even without, it will hold up far better than balsa.

Edited by stackeffect

My crashed escape pod in a soon to be swamp is coming along.

20190201_194634

20190201_194304

Put down the water base coat and a little green on top of the brown.

20190201_224929

The tower's look great and will blend in well with any forest.

Thanks!

I'll post pics of my finished swamp when glue and things dry today lol

And here's my finished crashed escape pod. The scene is on a 12x12 piece of birch plywood. I'll paint the edges at some point but left them as is, no bevel or shaping because I plan to make more that you can sit next to one another in configurations to make a larger swamp.

20190203_124654

20190203_125750

20190203_124843

This was my first time using flock and liquid water. Definitely learned some lessons for the next pieces!

Part 2 of my Swamp is underway. This one will have 3 little water features and a few trees.

20190210_161510

On 2/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, manoftomorrow010 said:

And here's my finished crashed escape pod. The scene is on a 12x12 piece of birch plywood. I'll paint the edges at some point but left them as is, no bevel or shaping because I plan to make more that you can sit next to one another in configurations to make a larger swamp.

20190203_124654

20190203_125750

20190203_124843

This was my first time using flock and liquid water. Definitely learned some lessons for the next pieces!

It looks really AWESOME!!

How did you make that water? it even reflects, it's great