What should the next campaign use?

By coogee78, in Legends of the Alliance

Should it be core only or require one of the expansions? I have all the expansions, so I will be happy no matter what they choose to do,but am curious about what everyone else thinks. I thought Jabba's Realm was a good choice for the last campaign, it has a lot of good stuff in it and would be the first expansion I would recommend anyone to get. On the other hand, it might be better for FFG to release a second campaign based on the core box. That might convince people who have been considering buying the game primarily for the app to buy it, which is good for everyone.

If they were going to tie it to an expansion though I'd like to see it them use Heart of the Empire. While I would love a Hoth or Bespin campaign, I think after Jabba's Realm that Heart of the Empire is the best value as it has three good heroes, a great villain, some really good imperial groups, plus equipment and crate cards that are as good or better than either of the other two. Twin Shadows is too much like Jabba's Realm (and the weakest expansion in my opinion), and while Tyrants of Lothal is great, I think that the settings in the three I mentioned have significantly different locations, while the Lothal tiles are very close to the desert tiles which were all over Jabba's Realm.

With Hoth, Verna is great, but needs a lot of gear, MDH1-19 is a good support and Loku works for me as a hybrid sniper/support hero. The imperial and scum groups are not as good as Heart of the Empire's, but the equipment and crate cards are around the same level (MDH-19 gaining and givein artificial stimulants to a strain heavy hero is quite good). Sorin and Dengar are not draws in my opinion (I know there are people who do love Dengar, but I'm not one of them and have gotten along just fine without him. IG-88 or Bossk proxy for him on the board when he pops up.) I have mostly used Sorin as a proxy for named imperial officers. It also has Wampas, which I hate seeing spawn outside of snow tiles or missions where it would make some tort of thematic sense. I think he is much better in the app than the paper campaigns if I recall correctly. It would be the third expansion that I'd recommend people buy.

Bespin Gambit is the expansion that I am most tempted to leave out of my collection in the App at the moment. Murne is a good support, but Davith is one of the weaker heroes. Wing Guards are specifically Bespins security forces and I don't think that Ugnaughts should be in the game and they are not really very interesting (unlike say the Nexu, who I potentially would detest since are from what I consider the worst movie, but are different to other imperial groups and can be very useful for the imperial player). The equipment and crate cards are respectable though. Agent Blase the other villain that I have not bothered to get. Ironically he and Dengar have spawned for me the most along, with the Emperor in the app.

I suppose the other thing FFG might do would be tie it to the expansion that has sold the best. I would guess that Jabba's Realm would have been the best sellerout of the expansions, but I have no idea which one would be next.

Just because the app campaign revolves around Hoth, doesn't require Hoth expansion heroes to play it. Also, all the supply cards and gear that are part of your collection can potentially come up in the Freedom Fighter campaign, which just uses core tiles. Anyway I like the idea of using Sorin as a proxy for named Imperial Officers. That's good. Maybe that's what FFG should do instead of keeping adding 'new' figures, add proxy figures. Like a pack of Black Sun mercenaries that you can substitute for Wing Guards in Jabba's Palace. I was tempted to break out my Black Sun Vigos from Star Wars miniatures when that happened. Also whenever Greedo spawns, I think of him as just another of Jabba's Rodian security forces that you see in the special edition of Star Wars.

I certainly wouldn't mind a heart of the empire campaign. It would be nice to have it be mostly on manufactured terrain, rather than natural. I think it should be a Bespin-HoE combo, because Bespin has some good tiles, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go to "a the one" Bespin when using them.

So, I think it will be HotE based. As previously discussed in other threads, Jabba’s Realm brought a lot to the game in terms of figures and groups. If someone just has the core and Jabba they can build a decent skirmish list, and with a few figure packs they can be tournament ready. Plus it brought some of the best stuff to Campaign. So if you don’t have it, the app is one more reason to pick it up. I think HotE is the next best expansion to fit that bill.

That said, I’d like to see them do Twin Shadows. The 01 tile for TS is one of my favorites in the game and I’d love an excuse to use it more.

14 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Also, all the supply cards and gear that are part of your collection can potentially come up in the Freedom Fighter campaign, which just uses core tiles.

Sorry I wasn't very clear there. I was thinking along the lines of which expansion would be the best value for Some one who only has the core set or that plus Jabba's Realm. As you have said the cards get used in the existing campaigns the same as the heroes, so they more important has more importance for someone that is only interested in the app.

14 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I certainly wouldn't mind a heart of the empire campaign. It would be nice to have it be mostly on manufactured terrain, rather than natural. I think it should be a Bespin-HoE combo, because Bespin has some good tiles, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go to "a the one" Bespin when using them.

I haden't thought of that, but it would be very cool. I think the new Decent app campaign uses a big and small expansion like that. So its certainly possible that they might do it.

11 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

That said, I’d like to see them do Twin Shadows. The 01 tile for TS is one of my favorites in the game and I’d love an excuse to use it more.

I agree that it is one of the best tiles. I think a Twin Shadows campaign would feel pretty similar to the Jabba's Realm one though, and I would like to see something a bit different.

Hoth is the only expansion that doesn't have desert or forest tiles that every other set uses. That or Bespin for me.

I don't have Hoth or Bespin yet, but those would be my next votes- more iconic, tie in to the trilogy stuff. (Admittedly, I'd also like to see Lothal, but that's mainly because the idea of a campaign using Thrawn as the main villain is appealing...)

Let’s be honest, I want an app campaign for all of the boxes, but I think Hoth would be a good pick.

Hoth is iconic to the Star Wars universe and I am sure holds a special place in Star Wars fans’ hearts. Return to Hoth at this point is an older campaign box, but it has some cool units in it (HKs, the tank, Snowtroopers, all three of the Heroes are awesome). Leia is also the Rebel that was heavily involved with the campaign, with the main villains being Dengar and Sorin. Dengar and Sorin might not be a huge pull, but I think Leia might be in terms of the campaign “leads”. It is also the only box with snow tiles.

As it is an older box, there are likely quite a few players of IA that do not have the box. Having an app campaign would likely be a good incentive for these folks to buy into the Return to Hoth campaign.

Edited by Funky_4LOM
On 12/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, MarekMandalore said:

I don't have Hoth or Bespin yet, but those would be my next votes- more iconic, tie in to the trilogy stuff. (Admittedly, I'd also like to see Lothal, but that's mainly because the idea of a campaign using Thrawn as the main villain is appealing...)

Thrawn is a Chiss and thus more immune to cold than your average humanoid. He'd be a fine pick for snow related missions. Maybe Hoth tiles can be used for Csilla.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:18 AM, Funky_4LOM said:

Let’s be honest, I want an app campaign for all of the boxes, but I think Hoth would be a good pick.

Hoth is iconic to the Star Wars universe and I am sure holds a special place in Star Wars fans’ hearts. Return to Hoth at this point is an older campaign box, but it has some cool units in it (HKs, the tank, Snowtroopers, all three of the Heroes are awesome). Leia is also the Rebel that was heavily involved with the campaign, with the main villains being Dengar and Sorin. Dengar and Sorin might not be a huge pull, but I think Leia might be in terms of the campaign “leads”. It is also the only box with snow tiles.

As it is an older box, there are likely quite a few players of IA that do not have the box. Having an app campaign would likely be a good incentive for these folks to buy into the Return to Hoth campaign.

Hoth is probably my favorite single expansion. And, yes, I agree the Campaign app does help to encourage the purchase of expansions. For instance I didn't finally break down and Purchase Jabba's realm until news of the app update surfaced.

10 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Hoth is probably my favorite single expansion. And, yes, I agree the Campaign app does help to encourage the purchase of expansions. For instance I didn't finally break down and Purchase Jabba's realm until news of the app update surfaced.

I really enjoyed Hoth. All of the units that come in it are a lot of fun. I think it would make an awesome app campaign, altough in terms of thematics, I think that General Sorin and General Weiss are awfully familiar.

Bespin would also be a good choice. I don’t think the set is alluring to many players based upon the figures in it (although, I personally really like Murne and Davith is kinda cool). Bespin is also iconic and it could be extended to be a full campaign in the app.

Twin Shadows probably would be my last pick to have an app campaign. I find it to be very similar to Jabba’s and the core set. Although, if they changed that campaign to have Boba Fett be the main villain hunting your squad of Rebels, I think that could be really cool.

Doing app campaigns for the older sets just seems like an overall good way for FFG to draw attention and potential new buyers to those older sets.

Edited by Funky_4LOM

Heart of the Empire and Tyrants of Lothal have really upped the game in terms of mission innovation.

Twin Shadows really hadn't done anything special, but Return to Hoth started going for more interesting structures.

I'd happily see a Hoth themed campaign, but at this point i'd take anything (even Twin Shadows)

I'm specifically buying into Imperials Assault to play the app campaign so whatever Fantasy flight chooses next will guide my purchase. Hoping for Hot personally. But heart of the Empire seems cool too

I'm hoping for HotE to be the next app release. It the only big box that I haven't played though yet. They announced the app around the same time as HotE and so I've been playing app only campaigns ever since. I guess I've just enjoyed playing a hero rather than the evil empire. Likewise, I'm excited to see the HotE app so I can get into that one.

Second choice would be an entirely new box that comes app supported.

Hoth was fun though. Actually, they have all been fun. The nice thing about the app is that they will have the ability to redesign some mechanics to allow some of the older stuff to work better to some extent, at least for the imperial figures. Though bad hero's seem like they will just stay bad hero's. Sorry Biv.

36 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Though bad hero's seem like they will just stay bad hero's. Sorry Biv.

Because the app scales the difficulty according to Fame, I've had fun playing with any combination of heroes (Saska and Biv too). The way class cards are unlocked in the app also changes things compared to the regular campaign - you get at most one 4XP card, and only for the finale.

2 hours ago, a1bert said:

Because the app scales the difficulty according to Fame, I've had fun playing with any combination of heroes (Saska and Biv too). The way class cards are unlocked in the app also changes things compared to the regular campaign - you get at most one 4XP card, and only for the finale.

I didn't know Fame impacted difficulty. Does difficulty increase as fame increases?

9 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

I didn't know Fame impacted difficulty. Does difficulty increase as fame increases?

Yes. The bonus health that some figures get changes, and I'm convinced the amount of threat available to the app also increases with fame from what I have observed in the finales.

18 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Yes. The bonus health that some figures get changes, and I'm convinced the amount of threat available to the app also increases with fame from what I have observed in the finales.

That makes sense. I would hope that the app would have some sort of feedback mechanism to keep things fun. After all, we all probably do that when we play the Imperial player.

We just received a good amount of fame in our last mission. Joshua is probably going to step things up for us now.

I would love to see Hoth. It was probably my favourite campaign so far. I think Jabba's is the most well done, but I am just a huge fan of Hoth in general.

I'd love a reason to bust those tiles out again.

I almost 100% expect to see HotE be the next full campaign app release. I say almost because I suppose FFG could always surprise us by releasing a new big box expansion and an app campaign to go with it, or they could make a paid DLC pack that just adds side missions to the existing campaigns - both of which I would be fine with.

A Hoth/Cloud City rehash would be nice (FFG did publish a very good adventure on Cloud City for the RPG). I'm not too hot on "Rebels", so HofE/ToL is less appealing to me.

But as many said before, anything at this juncture would be fantastic!

And Hoth it was!

Bespin next please but I but it's Lothal.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, Gallanteer said:

Bespin next please but I but it's Lothal.

I but it's heart of the empire.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I but it's heart of the empire.

I but it's HOTE too!

I guess Hoth is at least thematically appropriate for this winter...