Most fun tier 2 or lower figures etc?

By Ram, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

11 hours ago, Zagnoroth said:

I’ve been running a hk list competitively for almost a year now and you don’t know how many times I’ve been told “weequays are better” and I completely disagree. I brought them to regionals, nationals, and Gencon and I got top 16 in all of them. (Except Canadian national which I got 18 but a guy was super nice and gave me the boba dial) my friend, Logan has been running leia for a really long time now and brings her to the top tables every time. My point is out of meta figures are really good and just need a lot of experimentation and time to get them down.

The other thing about off-meta lists is that people don't necessarily know what to do when they come up against them. If you've got a guy who's practiced 40 games vs weequays and suddenly he's up against HK's for the first time, he's not going to have that instinctive feeling for how hard they hit, how far away they can hit from, what command cards they can come out with, etc. Even if someone did the math and weequays are 5% more efficient or whatever, that's probably not going to be worth more than surprising your opponent with a well-timed Triangulate card that they never see coming. I mean imagine being a player who started a year ago sitting down across from a bantha - I mean you'd probably get the idea to spread out your figures a bit, but you'd never be expecting half the tricks it can pull.

11 hours ago, ManateeX said:

The other thing about off-meta lists is that people don't necessarily know what to do when they come up against them. If you've got a guy who's practiced 40 games vs weequays and suddenly he's up against HK's for the first time, he's not going to have that instinctive feeling for how hard they hit, how far away they can hit from, what command cards they can come out with, etc. Even if someone did the math and weequays are 5% more efficient or whatever, that's probably not going to be worth more than surprising your opponent with a well-timed Triangulate card that they never see coming. I mean imagine being a player who started a year ago sitting down across from a bantha - I mean you'd probably get the idea to spread out your figures a bit, but you'd never be expecting half the tricks it can pull.

Also Hks can make crazy range shots. The other day I killed an officer from 10 spaces away and my opponent was super surprised I made it.

In our group, we do not care at all about which figures are chic at the moment and which are not - each of us simply chooses one, two or three of his or her favourite characters, and then we build the most fun and effective list around that. Being a fan of Ahsoka and REBELS, the core of my team is Ahsoka, Ezra and Sabine (two characters I was hoping for since Ahsoka was released a bit over a year ago, and I can count myself lucky that the three of them work well together in the game), for example. Another player is a huge fan of Boba Fett and always builds his team around that bounty hunter, and funnily enough, that player just finds rhodians cute and always includes Vinto and Hired Guns. For me, it's fun to take a couple of characters you like and build something around them which works well and is fun. We also only play with painted figures and regularly design our own skirmish missions. If your sole goal is to win, you're missing out on most of the fun of Imperial Assault.

Game001.jpg.5b2c1cef3a20c56a4d22ea10559c

Game002.jpg.74f6aab5d4367b8d2ffdccae0947

Game004.jpg.4af862f3108ee0ba48459a9f306b

Images from two other games on a map and using missions (one of which was a three-player game) of our own design:

5bd42e3d83733_2018-10-2711_24_54.jpg.af3

5bd46af37f600_2018-10-2715_43_43.jpg.61b

Edited by Fourtytwo

Sounds super fun to make your own missions. I’ll have to try it.

Oh yeah, I like running the HKs too. Underrated. Is Jedi Luke not tier 1 anymore? He should still be. I'm working on a list with him and Ezra. Get some training from a real Jedi, son.

I tried Saska again yesterday and used her to bring in Onar. Fun list, but she must be tier 3 or 4 'cause she sucks. Just stuck her on a terminal and used her for Take Initiative. She did get her Trap CC off though, which was so so. I had her use that card on Thrawn and then Chopper got him too, but I got thrashed. Still had fun.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I like trying to make a list work around a character that typically has a huge flaw (like Boba Fett, his flaw being his cost). I'm working on a decent list with Royal Champion at the center. Any good ideas of what would work with him? I'm thinking Emperor for starters...

Emperor, rRiots I think would be good to get his ability off for cheap. He also used to go well with Probe Droids, but I don't think they are worth their cost at the moment. Maybe the elite?

I like to run RGC with two sets or Eriots personally. The emperor isn't bad, but he isn't going to keep up with our boy. you could throw in terro. with the riots, you want to include both copies of body guard

On 11/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, Zagnoroth said:

I’ve been running a hk list competitively for almost a year now and you don’t know how many times I’ve been told “weequays are better” and I completely disagree. I brought them to regionals, nationals, and Gencon and I got top 16 in all of them. (Except Canadian national which I got 18 but a guy was super nice and gave me the boba dial) my friend, Logan has been running leia for a really long time now and brings her to the top tables every time. My point is out of meta figures are really good and just need a lot of experimentation and time to get them down.

I totally agree. I used HK's at 2 worlds and stopped playing them because I was told how much better weeequays were. I get why people would think that, but I think that when people get sucked into the meta game, they overlook good figures because they individually are not considered cost effective. Logan and your crew have shown people often how an "overcosted" figure could be deadly in the right hands. I got a list off of Lance once with RGC and Emperor. I brought it to my next tournament at the final table (against the Canadian National Champ) because I couldn't finish Vader who had 1 health left for a full round of attacks. My Emperor was 1 space shy of using force lightning. He had stunned him previously with a 1 health left Royal Guard!

I've said it here on other parts of the forum, but I've been experimenting with underused figures, but using cards like Extra Armor, and some of the newer command cards. I find they're solid. These lists may not be the 100% lists you see at Worlds, but with some savvy play, so many figures can be used that aren't currently considered cost effective. Git Gud!

Yea I’m experimenting right now with kayn somos and heavys. After I win a regional with hks so I can go to world, I want experiment with rgc and kayn (different lists)

Edited by Zagnoroth