Shadowrun - Paul M N Haakonsen

By Andreievitch, in Your Settings

My house rules for magic which are working very well so far.

Magic:
Magic Skill ranks may not exceed Knowledge ranks.
Casting a spell or summoning a spirit costs 2 drain and costs no strain.
Drain differs from strain in that while it still draws from the same resource pool, Drain counts upwards from zero, and strain counts downwards from your maximum strain threshold.
Should your drain ever exceed your current strain, you fall unconscious.
Drain can only be healed by a long rest or at a rate of 1 drain per hour rested.
Example: Wizzo the mage is at current strain of 7/12 and has cast 3 spells for a total of 6 drain, should he cast one more spell before healing any strain, his drain would increase to 8, which exceeds his current strain therefore he falls unconscious.
Difficulty dice is considered Force of the spell.
Casting a spell that exceed the number of difficulty dice over the casters magic skill shall be X wounds as well as the 2 drain cost. X being the difference between force and magic skill. Wounds like this can be healed by normal means but not magical means.

Spirit summoning:
Both Hermetic mages and Shamans may summon spirit. But on shamans may use the full conjuring magic spell type. (Consider Summon spirits its own unique spell type)
The basic spirits in adversary section are considered Force 1 and cost 2 difficulty dice to summon.
To summon a higher rank spirit add the addition number difficulty dice as the spirit force difference to force 1. Add the same number to all characteristics of the summoned spirit.
I.e. Force 3 spirit increases the difficulty of the summon by 2 steps to 4 difficulty dice, however should the shaman succeed the spirit would have +2 to all characteristics.

and Finally, i can't find my actual notes on Adepts, but this was the general idea. Luckily the player i thought going adept went Cybermonk instead :D

Adepts:
Not a player option as not ready to implement. Currently brainstorming: Ki magic skill. Initiate tier talents for Power points. Adept archetype (Ki, Discipline, Knowledge, Brawl) initiate level can not exceed the Ki skill ranks. Essense lose impacts power points.

one more snippet from my house rules: some gear additions and a revision to Bliss it was way OP and all my players wnated to become Bliss addicts after session 1.

Matrix:

Attack Dongle:
This commlink attachment allows a standard commlink the ability to perform attack matrix actions. Only one dongle may be attached to a commlink. Cost 3000 Nuyen.

Sleaze Dongle:
This commlink attachment allows a standard commlink the ability to perform Sleeze matrix actions. Only one dongle may be attached to a commlink. Cost 3000 Nuyen.

Magic:
Lodge. A mage summoning a spirit or casting a ritual while inside his lodge suffers no drain. Rating equals the mana barrier strength. Cost 1000 Nuyen per rating (Max 5)

Reagents: reagent may add 1 boost dice to any magic test. Cost 100 Nuyen

Revised Gear:
Drug: Bliss = 2 Failure initiative, +2 wound threshold, +2 strain threshold, +1 advantage on all presence checks..

hopefully will be posting some of changes to Paul's set of conversion notes like i am converting the qualities over and maybe getting rid ofbhis merits/flaw system and looking into the priority system to see if it can be used in Genesys, so check here time to time for updates

For those interested, I did a rebuilt of the book so they the layout is optimized for printing.

Just found out I am at 97% to post the good qualities, so either I need to figure out how to get rid of some attachments under my profile or I need to get my google drive back up and running again. I will post my link when I get fix my little problem.

go to this link to download my good Qualities for shadowrun: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f41P4bSt1PklYnvEeQD6cP5ZCxcO4cQo/view?usp=sharing

Edited by gilbur
added link

Just got approval from Paul even though I don't think he uses to much of the 5th edition stuff. So I am counting on the community here to see what everyone here thinks of them. I am working on the Negative Qualities and should have them done within the week or two

This is awesome, and I can't wait to dig deeper, but I have a question: how does one make a Rigger? Isn't a Rigger Command Console a required bit of cyberware to do the job? They're a bit more expensive than the starting 1,000 nuyen is going to cover.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:02 PM, Kavonde said:

This is awesome, and I can't wait to dig deeper, but I have a question: how does one make a Rigger? Isn't a Rigger Command Console a required bit of cyberware to do the job? They're a bit more expensive than the starting 1,000 nuyen is going to cover.

That is why we were playing around with starting nuyen. I was thinking for every unspent XP is equal to 5,000 or you could do the 2,000 from 5th edition. I myself like the 4th edition better. Paul wrote this has guidelines so it is how ever you want.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, gilbur said:

So here the final Physical Adept powers to be converted over to Genesys for Paul's version of Shadowrun. Look earlier in this forum topic for the starting skills for the Physical Adept.

adept powers.pdf

This link appears to have expired. Does anyone have the link to download the final adept power conversion, please?

On 5/6/2019 at 10:49 PM, Sidehatch said:

This link appears to have expired. Does anyone have the link to download the final adept power conversion, please?

i will repost later this week

I always wanted to give Shadowrun a shot but could not convince my players to change the game-system.

My questions are:

1. Is there a character sheet for this conversion?

2. Did someone convert one of the official adventures?

3 Is there a fact sheet which lists the situation in 2076 and what happened before?

Thanks.

Edited by Seam
On 5/14/2019 at 8:56 AM, Seam said:

I always wanted to give Shadowrun a shot but could not convince my players to change the game-system.

My questions are:

1. Is there a character sheet for this conversion?

2. Did someone convert one of the official adventures?

3 Is there a fact sheet which lists the situation in 2076 and what happened before?

Thanks.

when i get home, i will post some my shadowrun stuff i have cteated and found from others for shadowrun. as right now getting ready to do a fantasy setting type so i really van post some of thr stuff i have

Loving this conversion. Is there a character sheet out there anyone has created?

13 hours ago, bsmith23 said:

Loving this conversion. Is there a character sheet out there anyone has created?

I posted character sheet link a couple of links up, if broken let me know I will repost again.

Ah, missed that. Sorry, and thanks.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:33 AM, bsmith23 said:

Ah, missed that. Sorry, and thanks.

not a problem, glad I could help...

The conversion looks very good but I have run into some problems (or maybe I'm just dumb)

Starting money at 1000 nuyen means you can't possibly create a street sam or any augmented character with the cyberware prices (and most gear prices) still being just copied over from 5th edition.

A Street Sam in SR5 is made with 200-400k nuyen and cars, weapons, etc, all assume you get 2000 nuyen for 1/800th of your starting "XP" so any of the above conversions that give less nuyen per xp even though Genesys XP is worth something like 8 times as much seems strange, or what am I doing wrong?

And, while I'm at it:

Cyberlimbs need to start at Brawn and Agility 2 at most, getting 3 in both before enhancing up to 5 for cheaper than most other implants seems extremely powerful to me. (Or would be if we could start with more than 1000).

12 hours ago, Surukai said:

The conversion looks very good

The book looks pretty but it has some significant gaps, the money you mentioned just being but one. There are various concepts (rules, gear, abilities, etc) that are mentioned in the text, in passing, but are not actually defined. This is because the author wasn't very thorough in copying the text from the original SR books. I have ripped this apart and rebuilt it in Indesign so that I can modify this as necessary as I find these issues (and to give it a SofBS theme). I have borrowed ideas from the /u/clarity-of-porpoise (CoP) reddit conversion (the Genesys version, not the earlier Star Wars conversion; all the mechanics, zero fluff) and another 15 page SotBS SR version. This includes the CoP version of spending XP to get resources/money similar to the SR resource model, including about 80 XP for 400,000 nuyen (money) with 5000 as a base start instead of 1,000.

I have just started running this and my group had it session zero. I found that my players wanted their XP for stats and skills more then they wanted to start with a lot of gear or cyberware, so no one spent any XP to get more money despite having a rigger, street samurai, and a mage. They figure they will get (better) gear and cyberware as they get more money so they are all living on the streets at the moment. I also plan to have their cyberware become damaged with enough THREAT/DESPAIR as a constant potential.

That sounds like very interesting (and important) work you are doing, I am eager to hear what you have going on. Me and a friend is looking at maybe using some of the hacking presented in Shadows of the Beanstalk (the Android/Sci-fi official setting) since quite frankly, the mechanics of matrix hacking has not been good in Shadowrun for decades now.

6 hours ago, lyinggod said:

I have just started running this and my group had it session zero. I found that my players wanted their XP for stats and skills more then they wanted to start with a lot of gear or cyberware, so no one spent any XP to get more money despite having a rigger, street samurai, and a mage.

Fully understandable. If the perceived value of money to get "skills and stats" is bad then people rather get stats and skills instead. This can be said about Shadowrun rules as well, wasting karma (or priority bleh) on money means you have less skills and stats but if the money gives stats and benefits back it is still worth it.

In Shadowrun Wire Reflexes is a pure force multiplier, you get twice or thrice as powerful in combat.

In Genesys adding boost on iniative means you get some neat effects but you don't get to act three times as much in combat so the cost of Wired Reflexes is completely stupid for the tiny benefit it gives. (Even if advantage or better sure is useful in Genesys it doesn't compare)

On the contrary, having Brawn and Agility 5 cyberlimbs costs: Arm 15000 + Agility enhance rating 2 2*6500 + Brawn 2*6500 is 41000 per limb or a mere 164k for all four limbs. The XP value of Brawn 5 and AGility 5 is at least (assuming you start with 2) 30+40+50 * 2 = 240 xp

For combat getting one arm is godlike value if you have any way to get money (and any other cyberware/bioware is pretty useless in comparison) but even getting all limbs replaces means you get insane stats. The same is partially true for Shadowrun CRB as well but since Initative is a thing and wired reflexes are mutually exclusive with full body cyberlimbs having awesome stats is ironically a very big investment in essence and money.

------

So, to the real suggestion, wouldn't it be a much more Genesys way of doing it to have cyberware or bioware "cost essence" but reduce the xp cost? This way it mimics Shadowruns theme of Cyberware characters having better stats but can't use magic. Muscle augmentation (Bioware) lets you buy Brawn for 9xp per rating, cyberare (Muscle replacement) is 8xp per rating but costs more essence. (And have essence add difficulty or upgrade difficulty to healing, beneficial magic, etc) ... i.e. skipping over the money aspect or lessening it. Same goes for upgrades in game, raising stats with new cyberware costs money and xp (But less xp than natural training) You're not really meant to max all stats in Genesys anyway, right?

On 8/20/2019 at 12:42 AM, Surukai said:

(Bioware) lets you buy Brawn for 9xp

I am not surprised that my players took XP over money, I actually expected it. I just wanted to offer them the opportunity to be able to due so.

I am not worried about the $ to XP equivalencies. Most of the the Shadowrun Genesys book adds a significant amount of mechanical complexity that is contrary to the "essence" of the narrative simplicity of Genesys. The reason I took the approach that I did was to create a better "middle ground", cutting out or simplifying stuff that was too mechanically excessive, adding the missing, etc. If you look at it strictly from a $ vs XP, then cyberware can easily become overpowered. The question is how to balance this. It is easier for me to treat cyberware similar to equipment in that it can be damaged. However, instead of having a weapon requiring Sunder and for the enemy to specifically target the cyberware, generating three or maybe four (I haven't decided yet) advantage /threat can result in their cyberware gaining a damage level. A few hits like this and their cyberarm fails unless they have someone on hand to do emergency repairs. Its the trade off for being highly chromed. If a "natural" gets shot in the arm twice, they gain 5 wounds. If a street samurai gets hit there twice (due to appropriate threat), they also have one setback per hit as arm actuators start to fail. A third hit like this and their arm fails (this idea is still being refined). Also remember it is harder to heal people that are heavily cybered, which can encourage people not to go too nuts on cyberware and this will be particularly bad for starting wizards that have only 1-2 ranks in magic (I am also using the Knowledge is Power magic rules from the forum).

Remember this is not d20. It is not a game that becomes broken because a "+1" gets mis-applied. Keep in mind that the Shadowrun RPG is a lot like D&D/warhammer 40k (GW) in that it is meant to primarily be a squad based miniature combat game (with RPG elements). Everything in these games is designed to support this focus. Genesys is not and everything is focused on the Narrative. While this setting is expected to be more combat focused then "normal" Genesys, I am not as worried about characters becoming overpowered because I will use in-game GM underhandedness resourcefulness to keep things from becoming overwhelming.

Plus, I have told my players that this setting is in active development and that anything and everything is subject to change if it appears to be too unbalanced. I don't think, using my indicated approach, that this will be much of an issue but this way there will be less whining grumbling if I find I do have to make an in-game change.

Edited by lyinggod