What Will Incentivize FFG to Fix This?

By Darth Meanie, in X-Wing Squad Builder

On 10/23/2018 at 6:25 AM, JJ48 said:

Well, that's software development for you.

y7Hm9.jpg

;)

On 10/25/2018 at 3:18 PM, JJ48 said:

Personally, I prefer not needing more than minimal storage space on my phone, but I can see how that could be frustrating if you don't have regular access to 3G or WiFi.

Like huge gaming conventions with sketchy or no wifi and having to rely off your cell signal.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:44 PM, XiliX said:

Like huge gaming conventions with sketchy or no wifi and having to rely off your cell signal.

Not just conventions. Lots of folks get little to no signal in their FLGS, gaming stores are super niche and cannot afford to rent big, well located premises and so often have to make do with smaller spaces that are off the main thoroughfares and as such tend to have sketchy/no cell signal.

The lack of an offline mode is a total fail for me, I'm not even going to bother looking further at this app until it has been updated to work offline and even then without a total UI redesign and some actual User Experience designers involved in the process I don't see myself ever using it.

Thankfully Launch Bay Next does a great job of list building for me.

I won't be upgrading to 2.0 if the app doesn't improve.

Duplicate post

Edited by elfholme

Another duplicate. Maybe I should start coding for FFG..?

Edited by elfholme

I’m not sure why, but I am actually shocked at how bad this app is. You cannot roll out a dramatically different version of a game that is THIS dependent upon an app and not have that app be top-notch and ready to roll on day one. I really don’t get the mindset here.

I'm all-in on 2e. I have already purchased a starter and 5 conversion sets. I’ve been trying to convince my small group to move to 2e with me and take on the expense of revamping their collections. To convince them, things need to be easy. This makes the conversion “not easy”, and really a non-starter.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:36 PM, elfholme said:

To convince them, things need to be easy. This makes the conversion “not easy”, and really a non-starter.

This is basically where I am at, personally. I am unwilling to spend any money on a new system that features a core element that is a POS.

I was so close to being on board with 2.0, then the app happened.

Part of me wants to stop complaining about the app and just move on, but then I remember that nothing changes unless you make a LOT of noise. You really want to incentivize FFG? Keep posting about what you don't like about the app and write reviews about it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I think 2.0 is great, but the app is just SO much hot garbage. I'm still using it, but not like I used Startactics in the past (I was constantly building lists and looking forward to flying them and now I have no desire to build lists and I can't even get excited about my lists because I can't see what my upgrades do or look at my dials in any of the lists I've already built. The app is still clunky as all **** and makes it actually annoying to play the game.

Hey FFG, fix it! I know you've been working on it and I appreciate that, but the fact that it still sucks moose wang means you haven't made it a priority. Are you TRYING to lose customers?

Edited by Bad Idea Comics
On 11/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, elfholme said:

I’m not sure why, but I am actually shocked at how bad this app is. You cannot roll out a dramatically different version of a game that is THIS dependent upon an app and not have that app be top-notch and ready to roll on day one. I really don’t get the mindset here.

I'm all-in on 2e. I have already purchased a starter and 5 conversion sets. I’ve been trying to convince my small group to move to 2e with me and take on the expense of revamping their collections. To convince them, things need to be easy. This makes the conversion “not easy”, and really a non-starter.

BOTH OF THESE

13 hours ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

Part of me wants to stop complaining about the app and just move on, but then I remember that nothing changes unless you make a LOT of noise. You really want to incentivize FFG? Keep posting about what you don't like about the app and write reviews about it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I think 2.0 is great, but the app is just SO much hot garbage. I'm still using it, but not like I used Startactics in the past (I was constantly building lists and looking forward to flying them and now I have no desire to build lists and I can't even get excited about my lists because I can't see what my upgrades do or look at my dials in any of the lists I've already built. The app is still clunky as all **** and makes it actually annoying to play the game.

Hey FFG, fix it! I know you've been working on it and I appreciate that, but the fact that it still sucks moose wang means you haven't made it a priority. Are you TRYING to lose customers?

Was exactly what I was going to post...

Please FFG put more resources into the app development!

It's currently hard to play :(

If people looking to buy XW2, and they look at the score the app is getting, that will put them off.

So far, the Google Play store lists the app at 2 stars, far below a point where I would usually touch an app. Every review starts well, and ends with complaints. At what point do Google drop apps from the store? Do Apple drop bad apps?

If the FLGS owners are getting problems, they have more clout than us players. Get them to push this up the stockist chain. If a stockist gets told that players are being put off buying their stock because of something outside their control (the app), they might be able to shove this through official channels.

Edited by Aetherer
On 11/12/2018 at 7:27 AM, Aetherer said:

If people looking to buy XW2, and they look at the score the app is getting, that will put them off.

Which is a shame, because the app is such a miniscule part of the X-Wing experience.

5 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Which is a shame, because the app is such a minuscule part of the X-Wing experience.

True. But, since there are few places to review the game itself, and if FFG are 'selling' the app as part of the game, the app's reviews are going to be taken as the state of the game as a whole. They will see that the app is free, doesn't need the game to download, and want to see the cards, ships and such before paying for any of the boxes.

No-one wants to look up that the points are in a PDF. They're told that the app makes the game run, and steer clear of a 2-star app.

Edited by Aetherer
Spelling

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why FFG has prioritized how bombs are dropped and not what the bombs do.

There's essentially 2 kinds of bombs, mines and bombs (ones that blow up when you hit them, and ones that blow up and hope to hit someone). Rather than making those 2 distinctions in the rulebook and/or on a reference card and then put the bomb's effect on the upgrade card, they've decided to carry their ridiculous system into the 2nd edition. We'll tell you on each and every bomb upgrade how to drop it, and you'll have to look elsewhere for what it does.

Elsewhere, in this case, meaning definitely not in the app. Certainly nobody would need to know what a seismic charge does when building a list. The only important thing is: when does it blow up? Oh it blows up when someone hits it? That's probably the bomb for me, but who knows.

FFG is not able to recognize the problems with their rules presentation, so I have very little faith they'll improve the app to the point of reliability. That would require a level of introspection they've established they are incapable of.

Edited by Sekac
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:15 AM, JJ48 said:

Which is a shame, because the app is such a miniscule part of the X-Wing experience.

It is a miniscule part of the X-Wing end -experience.

OTOH, it is the beating heart of what was supposed to make 2.0 better--an electronic venue for tracking what is happening in game design.

It is the first thing you MUST experience in order to get to the table. It should be so good you just want to play with it to explore the game's elements. It should not frustrate you so much you quit the hobby (or never get started}.

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

It is the first thing you MUST experience in order to get to the table. It should be so good you just want to play with it to explore the game's elements. It should not frustrate you so much you quit the hobby (or never get started}.

Eh, it has its weaknesses, but hardly frustrating enough to get someone to quit.

Honestly, it still makes for a better gaming experience than first edition ever did.

11 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Eh, it has its weaknesses, but hardly frustrating enough to get someone to quit.

Honestly, it still makes for a better gaming experience than first edition ever did.

The GAME makes for a better game experience. The app has absolutely nothing to do with that. It actually made my heart sink when I realized how truly bad the app was. I have nowhere near the desire to play X-wing that I once did because the app is so clunky. I had over 200 lists built in Startactics, just having fun theorizing and list building and getting pumped to play a game at my FLGS. Now, I have to name my lists with prefixes because the 2.0 app doesn't even separate out factions! SERIOUSLY FFG? One of many shortcomings (DIALS - we need dials - how is this not resolved yet?).

So, maybe you're not fazed, but I can tell you from personal experience and speaking with several other players, the app is not helping the game at all. The old third party apps actually encouraged gameplay. The current app doesn't do that at all - it discourages play for those of us that know better and it does nothing to encourage play from newcomers. I even try to avoid telling new players that the app sucks, but someone invariably does, so new players are welcomed to the game with, "yeah, 2.0 is great, but the app sucks". That's some welcome.

27 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

The GAME makes for a better game experience. The app has absolutely nothing to do with that. It actually made my heart sink when I realized how truly bad the app was. I have nowhere near the desire to play X-wing that I once did because the app is so clunky. I had over 200 lists built in Startactics, just having fun theorizing and list building and getting pumped to play a game at my FLGS. Now, I have to name my lists with prefixes because the 2.0 app doesn't even separate out factions! SERIOUSLY FFG? One of many shortcomings (DIALS - we need dials - how is this not resolved yet?).

So, maybe you're not fazed, but I can tell you from personal experience and speaking with several other players, the app is not helping the game at all. The old third party apps actually encouraged gameplay. The current app doesn't do that at all - it discourages play for those of us that know better and it does nothing to encourage play from newcomers. I even try to avoid telling new players that the app sucks, but someone invariably does, so new players are welcomed to the game with, "yeah, 2.0 is great, but the app sucks". That's some welcome.

There are some legitimate complaints, sure, but most of what I'm hearing are people comparing the app unfavorably to third-party apps, which someone new to the game is much less likely to have experienced.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

There are some legitimate complaints, sure, but most of what I'm hearing are people comparing the app unfavorably to third-party apps, which someone new to the game is much less likely to have experienced.

Read my second paragraph again. It's a matter of newcomers walking into a panel of disgust. Again, I try not to speak unfavorably up front - I'm bubbly and happy to meet new players and want them to stick around, but I'm the rare one. New players get an earful right off the bat about how the app sucks. Plus, the app doesn't encourage players in the same way, so there's a serious loss of interest-building in the game. If everyone kept their mouth shut about the app then maybe new players wouldn't be affected, but considering there's a whole sub-division of the forums dedicated to griping about the app and the forum is loaded with gripes in general, I doubt very much that that's possible.

The answer is for FFG to fix the app. Make it at least as functional as the 1.0 third party apps. Then, players will rejoice. There will be singing and dancing in the streets. We will all play drums on Stormtrooper helmets, keeping tempo for a round of everyone's favorite "Yub-nub". And new players will feel truly welcome as the old curmudgeons that we are will sing FFG's praises, telling new players that the app is great and 2.0 is awesome and we can't wait for the next tourney. A true fix to the app could see a major spike in sales for FFG. As would the release of good new Epic rules. I'm still playing X-wing, as are most of us - just not with the same fervor as before and that rubs off on the new guys.

And you should never rub off on the new guys...

13 hours ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I have nowhere near the desire to play X-wing that I once did because the app is so clunky. I had over 200 lists built in Startactics, just having fun theorizing and list building and getting pumped to play a game at my FLGS.

This. With the exception that my favorite builder was Voidstate's (which is also mangled} and I head to my kitchen table.

I play about once a month. I used to spend hours thinking about X-Wing in the 29 days in between, building dozens of lists I would never fly.

Now, since I don't really like the interface for YASB either, I only build a list when I need it. I can't print from the app, so it is useless to me, and I really don't enjoy using YASB enough to just goof around listbuilding.

And what that does is put me off the feed. At this point I play the game because I already own it; I don't play as much for the excitement of discovery and "what's gonna be next."

Honestly, I don't know why I bother, but every time there is an update I check back to see if the app has stopped sucking yet and every time I am disappointed. With the release of Wave 2 and the addition of the Resistance and First Order factions I was hoping that FFG would take the opportunity to release a major update of the app and do something to both increase its (severely lacking) functionality and make it an actual app rather than a cheaply written and poorly put together frame that just loads a website in the background.

But no. In fact they have not even put the new ships/factions in the squad builder webpage at all.

What a steaming pile of bantha pudu.

Again, FFG, if you are going to release new content for the game and then make it so that none of it is available through the app where YOU DECIDED to put the costs in the first place then I really have to wonder about the level of commitment to support the game in the first place.

Congratulations on another fail.

5 hours ago, UberMunchkin said:

Honestly, I don't know why I bother, but every time there is an update I check back to see if the app has stopped sucking yet and every time I am disappointed. With the release of Wave 2 and the addition of the Resistance and First Order factions I was hoping that FFG would take the opportunity to release a major update of the app and do something to both increase its (severely lacking) functionality and make it an actual app rather than a cheaply written and poorly put together frame that just loads a website in the background.

But no. In fact they have not even put the new ships/factions in the squad builder webpage at all.

What a steaming pile of bantha pudu.

Again, FFG, if you are going to release new content for the game and then make it so that none of it is available through the app where YOU DECIDED to put the costs in the first place then I really have to wonder about the level of commitment to support the game in the first place.

Congratulations on another fail.

I agree completely. I haven't spent a penny on X-Wing since the 2.0 release. If the app improves to the quality of the first gen apps developed by players, I'll get back in, but until then I'll just wait and see.

Why did FFG not just buy one of the third party apps?

This app should be available offline to build lists, with a tournament button to generate some validation screen via internet connection if they insist.

All rules and references should be available, and every bomb card should display that information when building lists.

Every ship's dial reference chart should be added.

Remove the menu animations and prioritize performance for snappy interactivity.

Generally redesign the squad builder interface so that it is more useful. There is a lot of space that can be truncated at the bottom of the upgrade section of each ship.

Instead of locking in the top inch of the screen to only display SQUAD BUILDER and a back button, use that space to show us the useful header content (such as total points remaining, name of squad, and the add ship button) that is currently only accessible at the top of the scrollable portion of the page and underneath the frivolous banner.

Give us the option to filter only the cards from our collection when building squads.

Give us the option to add or subtract individual cards to our collection.

Allow us to duplicate a ship and its upgrades.

Yeah it is bad. It is also baffling on how a 3rd party app which receives no revenue from said app is better than an official one. It is almost like money makes things worse.