What Will Incentivize FFG to Fix This?

By Darth Meanie, in X-Wing Squad Builder

The App is free.

Threats to use a 3rd party replacement to a free FFG App are completely hollow.

You are still buying 2.0 product.

That's the only part that matters.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Yeah threats of using 3rd party apps as a replacement for the official one is like threatening a tank with a bayonet.

In case some may not have noticed, but Google Play has taken down nearly every 3rd party app in regards to X-wing. I am certain this was on behest of Asmodee (which is Fantasy Flight Games now). So threatening to use an awesome 3rd party squad builder app that is superior to the official one is just inviting a Cease & Desists order to your favorite squad builder app.

Is it believed that FFG isn't going to improve the app?

I just came into this sub-forum because I wanted to request the addition of all rules, references (especially bomb effects), FAQs, and dials.

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Yeah threats of using 3rd party apps as a replacement for the official one is like threatening a tank with a bayonet.

In case some may not have noticed, but Google Play has taken down nearly every 3rd party app in regards to X-wing. I am certain this was on behest of Asmodee (which is Fantasy Flight Games now). So threatening to use an awesome 3rd party squad builder app that is superior to the official one is just inviting a Cease & Desists order to your favorite squad builder app.

What has been removed?

The most popular launch bay next is still there and I did not know of any others for second edition.

Why would they leave the most popular if what you say is true?

4 hours ago, Icelom said:

What has been removed?

The most popular launch bay next is still there and I did not know of any others for second edition.

Why would they leave the most popular if what you say is true?

A lot of things, mostly stuff that was in 1st edition. X-wing companion is no longer available.

2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

A lot of things, mostly stuff that was in 1st edition. X-wing companion is no longer available.

X-wing companion shows up in the store for me... (searched in google play was the first thing that came up)

are you sure it's not first edition people taking their things down themselves?

Again you would think if this was some kind of aggressive move by ffg they would remove the most popular second edition application not just "mostly stuff that was in 1st edition"-Marinelealver.

Or maybe you are just being Marinealver and making a giant thing out of literally nothing?

Note: I don't think the official app is that good and it needs a lot of crap done, but I 100% do not see any evidence that FFG is trying to nuke all 3rd party apps.

Just now, Icelom said:

X-wing companion shows up in the store for me... (searched in google play was the first thing that came up)

are you sure it's not first edition people taking their things down themselves?

Again you would think if this was some kind of aggressive move by ffg they would remove the most popular second edition application not just "mostly stuff that was in 1st edition"-Marinelealver.

Or maybe you are just being Marinealver and making a giant thing out of literally nothing?

Note: I don't think the official app is that good and it needs a lot of crap done, but I 100% do not see any evidence that FFG is trying to nuke all 3rd party apps.

Really? Huh I was with another person who was browsing 1st edition stuff thinking of getting in the hobby and we were searching for that app. I still have it but download was not available.

As for FFG, no it is not likely but Asmodee and Disney (or a 3rd party acting on their behalf) may have. But if you haven't watched recent technology news there has been a major crackdown on 3rd party apps containing copyrighted materials (such as Star Wars) especially at the footheels of EU's new article 13. So no evidence, not like FFG would do a thing but the possibility is more than there especially when we are dealing with $tar War$ here.

I kno w Cyrodex was pulled from Google Play because of needed privacy policy updates, and Chico wasnt informed by them. He only found out after I told him. So something similar could have happened to these Apps, not not due to Asmodee/FFG.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:03 PM, Arttemis said:

At this point, I'm beginning to find it hard to believe FFG's app team has any idea what they are doing.

They just dropped a "patch" that created more bugs.

And if the app is not a printable list builder, it really isn't really all that usable for a casual player. I don't see any sign of that level of functionality being provided.

For a guy like me that only plays Epic and has 10+ ships in a list, build, save, and print are basically required.

I still need ships and dials; it's not like I can play without buying product even if I could print a list.

Edited by Darth Meanie
4 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

They just dropped a "patch" that created more bugs.

Well, that's software development for you.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Arttemis said:

I don't think that's the general opinion, but it's what I'm afraid of. I think we shouldn't expect a proper squad builder from FFG anymore. The situation we might end up with is that 3rd parties make awesome squad builders on the 'unofficial' API and that people only use the official squad builder to print their list for tournaments.

14 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Well, that's software development for you.

Yeah, not at this level. . .

10 hours ago, HedgehogNL said:

I think we shouldn't expect a proper squad builder from FFG anymore.

Sad, but likely true. I had hoped it would add some increased utility for the casual crowd. But since they can't even design a product with accurate points and that obeys the rules (apparently Lando can be assigned as crew to a ship where he is a pilot), "fun" functionality is certainly out of the question.

Edited by Darth Meanie
1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Sad, but likely true. I had hoped it would add some increased utility for the casual crowd. But since they can't even design a product with accurate points and that obeys the rules (apparently Lando can be assigned as crew to a ship where he is a pilot), "fun" functionality is certainly out of the question.

The point costs especially need to be addressed, but it's hardly unusable.

I think if people are showing up to official FFG tournaments with invalid lists because the app doesn't function correctly, then FFG may start thinking about fixing it. When you get enough people bringing Lando Pilot with Lando crew, or X-Wings with Daredevil equipped and maybe FFG will finally hire a better firm to do the development than 10Clouds.

I was hoping for an app that surpassed third party options because it would be developed by a salaried staff instead of amateurs generously donating their spare time.

4 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

maybe FFG will finally hire a better firm to do the development than 10Clouds. anyone that knows how to code

FTFY

17 hours ago, JJ48 said:

The point costs especially need to be addressed, but it's hardly unusable.

Wow. That's exactly how I feel about 1.0. :lol:

Also, I can use the ***-end of a screwdriver to pound nails ( it's hardly unusable), but that doesn't mean I'm not a fool for not finding the hammer.

17 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

I think if people are showing up to official FFG tournaments with invalid lists because the app doesn't function correctly, then FFG may start thinking about fixing it. When you get enough people bringing Lando Pilot with Lando crew, or X-Wings with Daredevil equipped and maybe FFG will finally hire a better firm to do the development than 10Clouds.

100% this. Everyone needs to bring the most f'ed up list imaginable to a tournament then insist, nay demand, they be allowed to play it as legal, since the official app generated it.

Edited by Darth Meanie
3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Wow. That's exactly how I feel about 1.0. ?

Really? Hadn't noticed.

Meanwhile, others of us felt that 1.0 was quite unplayable. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

10 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

(apparently Lando can be assigned as crew to a ship where he is a pilot)

I just tried this in both the app and the website, and Lando does not appear as a Crew option if Lando pilot is in your list. If you have Lando crew and try to add Lando pilot, the pilot is removed with a message about restrictions. There may be some misprints on some of the app card texts (though the card images are correct), and it's certainly not winning any awards for looks, but they do appear to be fixing the rules bit, at least. And apart from the points, that's probably the most important piece.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:35 PM, JJ48 said:

Really? Hadn't noticed.

Meanwhile, others of us felt that 1.0 was quite unplayable. Can't please everyone, I suppose.

I just tried this in both the app and the website, and Lando does not appear as a Crew option if Lando pilot is in your list. If you have Lando crew and try to add Lando pilot, the pilot is removed with a message about restrictions. There may be some misprints on some of the app card texts (though the card images are correct), and it's certainly not winning any awards for looks, but they do appear to be fixing the rules bit, at least. And apart from the points, that's probably the most important piece.

That one example was fixed but you can still put cards in illegally.

Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter - •L3-37 - 51
•L3-37 - Droid Revolutionary (47)
•L3–37 (4)

Total: 51/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Stuff like this also undermines peoples confidence in the app.

Some people say you can't put daredevil on a T-65, but the app allows it if you add the s-foils (that give it the boost action) nowhere in the rules does it say you cant add daredevil onto a ship with an action added to it from another card but people claim you cant add daredevil even though the only thing official we have, the app, allows it.

What am I supposed to do if someone shows up at an event with an L3 list that has 2x L3's generated in the official app? tell them they have to lose part of there list to play even though they assumed it was legal from the official app? What if someone puts daredevil on a T-65 and someone else claims its illegal? I guess I just make a ruling based on my gut feeling on that?

In the back of my head i am hopefully they are developing an actual application (not just a web portal) and are waiting to get it to us until wave 2 so they are not putting a ton of work into the web app as its going to be replaced with something real. Maybe the fact the database broke on the webapp is because they are doing something to the database to make it work with the real application? one can dream! (i am probably very wrong... and we have to live with this app, even if all the bugs are fixed its still missing so many useful features.)

As far as the T-65 with Daredevil goes, in 1.0 dual sided cards were not active until setup, so a T-65 did not have boost during listbuilding. Is this not still the case in 2.0? I know the app allows it but I thought we still had the same rules for dual sided cards and that was a glitch in the “app”

8 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

As far as the T-65 with Daredevil goes, in 1.0 dual sided cards were not active until setup, so a T-65 did not have boost during listbuilding. Is this not still the case in 2.0? I know the app allows it but I thought we still had the same rules for dual sided cards and that was a glitch in the “app”

No where in the rules does it say anything, at least that I can find. People are just assuming from 1.0 and that's a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Icelom said:

In the back of my head i am hopefully they are developing an actual application (not just a web portal) and are waiting to get it to us until wave 2 so they are not putting a ton of work into the web app as its going to be replaced with something real. Maybe the fact the database broke on the webapp is because they are doing something to the database to make it work with the real application? one can dream! (i am probably very wrong... and we have to live with this app, even if all the bugs are fixed its still missing so many useful features.)

Why would the web app go away after a mobile app releases? It's still really nice to use via a computer.

For that reason, I don't see why they would make a completely separate app for phones, rather than just fixing the underlying logic and making the wrapper look a bit better. There are some cases where a dedicated mobile app is far preferable to a web app, but I'm not sure this is one of those cases.

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Why would the web app go away after a mobile app releases? It's still really nice to use via a computer.

For that reason, I don't see why they would make a completely separate app for phones, rather than just fixing the underlying logic and making the wrapper look a bit better. There are some cases where a dedicated mobile app is far preferable to a web app, but I'm not sure this is one of those cases.

It needs to work fully offline, that's going to be tricky with just a web interface as you will need to save info to your device to sync up latter when you have a connection.

Let alone storing all your list and collection info locally so you can use it without a connection.

3 hours ago, Icelom said:

Some people say you can't put daredevil on a T-65, but the app allows it if you add the s-foils (that give it the boost action) nowhere in the rules does it say you cant add daredevil onto a ship with an action added to it from another card but people claim you cant add daredevil even though the only thing official we have, the app, allows it.

It allows it if you add one side of the S-Foils card, but not the other side of the card, even though it's literally the same upgrade. Like you said, It is entirely possible that if you add a double sided card, then the actions on whatever arbitrary side of the card you choose to equip in the squad builder can allow you to equip other upgrades, but since there is bug after bug after bug in this squad builder, there is no way to determine what is as designed and what is a defect.

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

It needs to work fully offline, that's going to be tricky with just a web interface as you will need to save info to your device to sync up latter when you have a connection.

Let alone storing all your list and collection info locally so you can use it without a connection.

Personally, I prefer not needing more than minimal storage space on my phone, but I can see how that could be frustrating if you don't have regular access to 3G or WiFi.