Quote from the RPG

By Waywardpaladin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Hmmm...digging a little more deeply into this (as in, I actually checked the wiki and didn't just go from memory), I note that there's actually an Otomo Regent in there, who (to me) wouldn't count as a Hantei (though I obviously did blithely count him as one in the past and the numbering just stuck in my mind.) This means, since the numbering started with Hantei X, then working backwards from that (and ignoring the Otomo guy), the Kami Hantei would HAVE to be Hantei I...which means that the statement in the book, "thirty nine generations of Hantei", WOULD seem to suggest it's the current Hantei's successor. So...huh.

Edited by DGLaderoute
2 hours ago, Mangod said:

Wasn't that a (in-story) retroactive naming convention? I seem to recall that refering to the Emperor by number wasn't a thing until Hantei X or - XI took the throne.

Yes. Supposedly Hantei IXth (I forget her name) died without issue, so they had to pick up a distant relative, IIRC, among the Crane, and he dropped all his names on becoming the Hantei.

Edited by Suzume Chikahisa
Typo
21 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Hmmm...digging a little more deeply into this (as in, I actually checked the wiki and didn't just go from memory), I note that there's actually an Otomo Regent in there, who (to me) wouldn't count as a Hantei (though I obviously did blithely count him as one in the past and the numbering just stuck in my mind.) This means, since the numbering started with Hantei X, then working backwards from that (and ignoring the Otomo guy), the Kami Hantei would HAVE to be Hantei I...which means that the statement in the book, "thirty nine generations of Hantei", WOULD seem to suggest it's the current Hantei's successor. So...huh.

I feel a bit silly having started this, and it just hit me now: thirty-nine generations of Hantei is not the same as thirty-nine Hantei emperors. Sotorii and Daisetsu are a generation of Hantei; they've been born, they are descended from the Hantei.

I wish I had the exact quote in front of me now to recall if it specified thirty-nine Hantei that ruled, or just thirty-nine Hantei generations overall...

Though that latter theory goes out the window if any of Emperors were siblings of any other Emperor, as they would have then been the same generation. Kind of like how Toturi II and Toturi III were the same generation of Toturi.

Edited by Hida Jitenno
siblings thought
13 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I feel a bit silly having started this, and it just hit me now: thirty-nine generations of Hantei is not the same as thirty-nine Hantei emperors. Sotorii and Daisetsu are a generation of Hantei; they've been born, they are descended from the Hantei.

I wish I had the exact quote in front of me now to recall if it specified thirty-nine Hantei that ruled, or just thirty-nine Hantei generations overall...

Though that latter theory goes out the window if any of Emperors were siblings of any other Emperor, as they would have then been the same generation. Kind of like how Toturi II and Toturi III were the same generation of Toturi.

Hantei Muhaki was the uncle of Hantei Yugozohime and brother of Hantei Kusada. And the Wiki claim Hantei IXth (Retsuhime!) was Yogozohime's daughter, so there are generational shenanigans going on.

Just now, Suzume Chikahisa said:

Hantei Muhaki was the uncle of Hantei Yugozohime and brother of Hantei Kusada. And the Wiki claim Hantei IXth (Retsuhime!) was Yogozohime's daughter, so there are generational shenanigans going on.

Welp, darn. I thought that was the case, but was hoping I had found a not-inconsistent-solution.