Quote from the RPG

By Waywardpaladin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

"Do not use my name too freely, beloved, on every tea-matron and Miwaku Kabe guard. But if our connection should advantage you in court, it pleases me to think that I may open doors for you."

-A letter to Iuchi Shahai, signed only with a Chrysanthemum seal

Edited by Waywardpaladin

Daisetshahai is real. And anyone claiming otherwise is a traitor.

7 hours ago, 987654321 said:

Either that of the sitting Emperor has a soft spot for her and plans to give his son a run for his money in his golden years, since he is technically the only one actually authorized to use that seal as his own and everyone else is using it on his behalf.

2 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Either that of the sitting Emperor has a soft spot for her and plans to give his son a run for his money in his golden years, since he is technically the only one actually authorized to use that seal as his own and everyone else is using it on his behalf.

Not anymore! Emperor not!Daigotsu Hype!

23 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

Not anymore! Emperor not!Daigotsu Hype!

The proclamation has not been made official yet (at least in fiction) and the starting point for the RPG is supposed to be prior to the announcement.

20 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

The proclamation has not been made official yet (at least in fiction) and the starting point for the RPG is supposed to be prior to the announcement.

Not!Daigotsu's affair with Shahai is not official yet either.

We don't even know if this letter has even been sent to Shahai, it's just addressed to her. Could just as easily be locked away in a box somewhere amongst not!daigotsu's possessions.

2 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

We don't even know if this letter has even been sent to Shahai, it's just addressed to her. Could just as easily be locked away in a box somewhere amongst not!daigotsu's possessions.

"We have not had much opportunity to talk Daisetsu."

"As you say, Father."

"Please, my son, do not be so formal, I get enough of such from my courtiers. Tell me a bit about yourself, son. This collection you seem to have amassed in this room, for instance. What's this mask ?"

"Oh, it's a gift from the Crane. I rather did enjoy their last Noh -drama, and was gifted the mask as a reminder of it."

"And these scrolls ?"

"Just some lighter reading - treatises on matters spiritual, political and military."

"And this box ?"

"Oh, so that's where I put it. Thank you so very much for finding it; I've been using it to store my calligraphy brushes."

"And this letter underneath it? A letter for Iuchi Shahai-"

"DON'T READ THAT!"

1 hour ago, Mangod said:

"As you say, Father."

"Please, my son, do not be so formal, I get enough of such from my courtiers. Tell me a bit about yourself, son. This collection you seem to have amassed in this room, for instance. What's this mask ?"

"Oh, it's a gift from the Crane. I rather did enjoy their last Noh -drama, and was gifted the mask as a reminder of it."

"And these scrolls ?"

"Just some lighter reading - treatises on matters spiritual, political and military."

"And this box ?"

"Oh, so that's where I put it. Thank you so very much for finding it; I've been using it to store my calligraphy brushes."

"DON'T READ THAT!"

Dang, now I have this mental picture of Daisetsu as Ariel from The Little Mermaid...

2 hours ago, Mangod said:

"As you say, Father."

"And these scrolls ?"

"And this box ?"

"DON'T READ THAT!"

"And these magazines under your mattress.......Oni and Ponies.....what in Fu Leng's name are you involved in son?"

Edited by Ishi Tonu
2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

"And these magazines under your mattress.......Oni and Ponies.....what in Fu Leng's name are you involved in son?"

"Funny you should ask, Pops..."

21 hours ago, 987654321 said:

It's Shaisetsu, damnit!

2 hours ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

It's Shaisetsu, damnit!

No it's Daisetshahai. My proclamation of the name can be traced back to the Heart of the Garden community thread.

Edited by 987654321
8 hours ago, 987654321 said:

No it's Daisetshahai. My proclamation of the name can be traced back to the Heart of the Garden community thread.

Just because you were first, doesn't make yours better :P

Edited by Hida Jitenno
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Suzume Chikahisa said:

It's Shaisetsu, damnit!

23 hours ago, 987654321 said:

I think Shaisetsu flows better, but so everyone can be happy, let's just call the ship "Blood & Darkness " ;)

41 minutes ago, Mangod said:

I think Shaisetsu flows better, but so everyone can be happy, let's just call the ship "Blood & Darkness " ;)

No! They aren't Tainted scum to be purged yet! Call it 'the Prince and the Pony'.

The RPG book also mentions that there have been thiry-nine generations of Hantei. Unless I'm uncertain about how numbering works, this would suggest that in the RPG, it's intended to be set during the reign of Hantei XXIX, which means Daisetsu could be using the seal officially.

Edited by Hida Jitenno
Posted in the wrong thread >_<, but then realized I did have something for this thread after snipping this comment...
1 hour ago, Hida Jitenno said:

The RPG book also mentions that there have been thiry-nine generations of Hantei. Unless I'm uncertain about how numbering works, this would suggest that in the RPG, it's intended to be set during the reign of Hantei XXIX, which means Daisetsu could be using the seal officially.

Hantei (the Kami) was just Hantei. Hantei I was Hantei Genji, his successor...and so on. So there was the Kami, and then 38 Emperors since, for a total of 39 generations of Emperor. So the RPG is set in 1123, during the reign of Hantei XXXVIII.

Edited by DGLaderoute
7 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Hantei (the Kami) was just Hantei. Hantei I was Hantei Genji, his successor...and so on. So there was the Kami, and then 38 Emperors since, for a total of 39 generations of Emperor. So the RPG is set in 1123, during the reign of Hantei XXXVIII.

Ah the joy of name succession numbering. Always throws people when they realize that the numbering is to represent the iterations of people to bear the name of a previous ancestor and that its just a shorthand for # to bear his/her name.

8 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Okay, so that's a change from Old5R then. In Imperial Histories 2 (p.32), Hantei Genji became Hantei II when he ascended to the Throne.

5 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Okay, so that's a change from Old5R then. In Imperial Histories 2 (p.32), Hantei Genji became Hantei II when he ascended to the Throne.

Either a minor change, or a correction to bring the naming convention inline with proper use of the numerical naming and Histories was incorrect on that front.

8 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Either a minor change, or a correction to bring the naming convention inline with proper use of the numerical naming and Histories was incorrect on that front.

I mean, if that's the Rokugan Numbering Convention, then it differs from our real world history for numbering conventions, which is also a good thing to know. (e.g. the second pope know as Sixtus was recorded as Sixtus II, and thus the original Sixtus became Sixtus I).

18 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I mean, if that's the Rokugan Numbering Convention, then it differs from our real world history for numbering conventions, which is also a good thing to know. (e.g. the second pope know as Sixtus was recorded as Sixtus II, and thus the original Sixtus became Sixtus I).

In fairness the European system is sort of confusing since some count predecessors from other dynasties where others (notably the English) only count from the Norman conquest onwards. Add that many of the current conventions didn't come into effect until the 10th or 11th century and it can get even worse as they are inserting previous ancestors that may have sketchy at best records for.

48 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Wasn't that a (in-story) retroactive naming convention? I seem to recall that refering to the Emperor by number wasn't a thing until Hantei X or - XI took the throne.

1 minute ago, Mangod said:

Wasn't that a (in-story) retroactive naming convention? I seem to recall that refering to the Emperor by number wasn't a thing until Hantei X or - XI took the throne.

I do think it was the Tenth, but generationally, he was also the tenth emperor of Rokugan.