First battles and some impressions

By landoro, in Battle Reports

So, played my first two games with my brother now, I dont own many models so we proxied some from Imperial Assault, even some that are not out yet to get more diverse armies, wookies, Royal Guards, Commandos.

This will only be some first impressions and not a full battle report. Will try and write one up later.

My brother played Imperials with Vader, in the first game I manged to shoot him up, then charge him with wookies and finish him with Luke. He was neutrilzed very effectivly. In the second game my brother played a lot better and wiped 3 units with Vader. Vader is awsome when used right, I can uncerstand the people who says he is overcosted but he is brutal when you get him to the right spot.

Luke is brutal as well but also died in the first game because I did not hide him well.

Cover is so important! Whenever units did not have cover, something died, a lot, Rebels espcially. You need lots of cover in this game. Lots of terrain.

Supression is a mechanic I have a love/hate realationship with.
It is a great tactical mechanic, in the end game espcially we made sure to supress powerful units that had not activated to limit them to 1 action, so enemies could not aim+shoot for example.
On the other hand, it limits the fun when you can only perform 1 action with your cool unit, and rally is very luck based meaning 1 player could rally all the time and the other could fail all.
I both like it and dont like it. Will have to play more to make up my mind.

The pre-game to decide objective, deployment och condition was really fun, it makes the game new and exciting even though we played with the exactly same armies.

All for now, have fun!

Landoro

On 9/4/2018 at 2:27 AM, landoro said:

Cover  is so impor  tant! Whenever  units did not have cover, something died, a lot, Rebe  ls espcially. You need lots of cover in this g  am  e.  Lo  ts of te  rrain. 

Yeah, cover is everything for your infantry units.

As far as suppression, I understand that people hate luck but honestly dice rolling is probably as good as any simulation of a “bullets whizzing” scenario so I don’t mind the luck element all that much (meaning sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it.). But since many of the units in the game simply don’t have the firepower to kill other units I feel like surpression is a needed mechanic in order to make sure there is strategy to your order selection. Besides cover order of activation is probably the most strategic element of the game.

Like you, I have only managed to play a few complete games but it’s a lot of fun!