manoftomorrow's painting (Update: Phase II Clones, 322nd)

By manoftomorrow010, in Painting

Hi all, just bought the game last week, and am starting the painting. New to miniature painting!

I can't figure out how to post pics ?

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Post to 3rd party site like imgur. Then copy paste the direct image link. It gers automatically recognised as a photo

aha thanks!

Anyway, here's my Luke! Haven't set up a lightbox area yet, so these aren't the best pics.

20180819_161150

20180819_162003

20180819_162013

As you can see in the background I'm working on my rebel troopers lol

Also I painted up the movement tools and made the distance marks match the red bars on the unit cards.

20180819_171827

That's a nice looking model if this is your first outing painting minis.

Only suggestion I have is that a little wash on the skin and some highlighting on the hair could make a big improvement.

1 minute ago, Brightguy said:

That's a nice looking model if this is your first outing painting minis.

Only suggestion I have is that a little wash on the skin and some highlighting on the hair could make a big improvement.

Thanks! Yeah, when i washed the whole figure, i got worried about the face and didn't let the wash rest too much there, it pooled really heavily in the eyes and I soaked it up, to the point of it being non-existent! lol

Use a weaker brown wash for the flesh. A standard black wash won't work.

8 minutes ago, Brightguy said:

Use a weaker brown wash for the flesh. A standard black wash won't work.

good point. I will try that on my Rebel Troopers!

Flames of War makes a "Flesh Wash" which is quite good, and a diluted GW brown wash will work quite well. You can of course always mix your own.

Being a liberal elite, I'm always careful to use a range of flesh colors and washes on my troopers. :)

2 minutes ago, Brightguy said:

Flames of War makes a "Flesh Wash" which is quite good, and a diluted GW brown wash will work quite well. You can of course always mix your own.

Being a liberal elite, I'm always careful to use a range of flesh colors and washes on my troopers. :)

Ditto ? I painted the flesh for several of the Rebel troopers and split the skin tones. Hoping to finish them up this week.

Great. When you're done, can you finish up the snowtroopers that have been on my painting desk for a month?

8 minutes ago, Brightguy said:

Great. When you're done, can you finish up the snowtroopers that have been on my painting desk for a month?

Buy me a set of Snowies and I'll happily paint all of them at once :D

Dilute the wash and add it in several stages. Slow but stops pooling. Look up "glazes/glazing" for tips

...thanks for sharing!...great works happening...

For a rookie I must say that your Luke looks great. I know in most cases I tend to shy away from the Commanders until I find a groove and feel comfortable painting the mniatures.

I really like the theme of your movement tools. Very Imperial looking.

Look forward to seeing more posts.

3 minutes ago, C3POFETT said:

For a rookie I must say that your Luke looks great. I know in most cases I tend to shy away from the Commanders until I find a groove and feel comfortable painting the mniatures.

I really like the theme of your movement tools. Very Imperial looking.

Look forward to seeing more posts.

Thanks!!

I have a lot of art experience painting and drawing, which I think helped. My biggest obstacle with the minis is the **** small scale and when my hands have to focus that tightly in small spaces, they get shaky.

I've painted my AT-RT as well as the Rebel unit leaders and Zed-6 troopers. The troopers don't look as good as Luke, though I'm happy with my AT-RT. Haven't posted it yet since I haven't painted or attached the weapons.

I was hoping to find some small enough magnets to put on the AT-RT weapons so I could actually attach whichever weapon is being used for a game, so that's a reason for my hold-out on calling it "finished."

Probably will post those pics this weekend!

Hi all,

Here's my AT-RT, sans weapons. I'm planning to hit the local retail establishments to find small enough magnets and see if i can actually make the AT-RT weapons switchable depending on which one I want to play in a game.

20180823_214100

20180823_214045

20180823_214035

Also, here are 4 of my Rebel Troopers. Only had time to paint a few of them this week. I started with the unit leaders and the Z6 fellas. I spent less time on these than I did on Luke, which I think will be my SOP from here on, where the grunts I don't spend forever on, but the Commanders and Operatives get special treatment. I basically ended at the "wash" step and didn't do any highlighting or anything.

20180823_214146

20180823_214217

You're lucky in two respects; you've got a steady hand and the paints are just the right consistency. The beauty of that is that you can add to your models at later stages as you develop skills, without worrying about previous errors to correct. Theyre looking good so far. Just have a look at some tutorials on shading and highlighting and you'll be producing enviable work in no time. AT-RT is particularly good.

These all look great to me. Probably some amount of shade on the faces would help bring out the detail and I agree with others that you can dilute it. But I have yet to paint a model that I didn’t know I could improve with more time and effort, so I think that’s part of the process.

You’re doing a terrific job with your base coats.

Like you, I typically end with the wash step and don’t do any highlighting beyond the occasional touch up here and there. Some of this is about time and some is about the fact that I am not confident I can highlight consistently in a way that actually improves the model. And some of it is about the fact that I really just want models good enough to play with - I’m not going for an art award. One of the things I do frequently is dilute the wash so the non-highlighted model doesn’t look so grimey when it’s done. You don’t seem to be having any problems in that regard.

I hope you have lots of fun and keep up the good work.

Edited by BigBadAndy

Light wash on the faces and clothes and you’re good to go imo. Im not usually a fan of jungle themes for anyone but yours I quite like

6 hours ago, Jabby said:

Light wash on the faces and clothes and you’re good to go imo. Im not usually a fan of jungle themes for anyone but yours I quite like

I did wash them, but not well enough I think haha barely any on the faces tho since I was worried it would make them incoherent blobs. Getting better at trying the thinner layers for that though

And thanks! I shot for a color scheme using as few colors as possible for $ reasons.

Washes can be tricky and it takes some practice. Most minis are good after a wash, but I drybrush a bit on the raised areas to lighten them and add some contrast.

I guess for anyone who checks this thread, I'm having trouble finding supplies to effectively attach each AT-RT weapon with the ability to detach them, so whichever upgrade is applied for a game, that weapon is physically present on the miniature. I just bought a 2nd Core set, so now with 2 AT-RTs, I'm trying to find something to enable the switching.

Could not find any circular magnets small enough to fit in the chassis space, nor on the end of the weapons.

Has anyone done this successfully? Or do you all just glue one of the weapons on permanently?

P.S. I started painting my speeder bikes this weekend, and will probably save the riders for an assembly-line stormtrooper painting soon. But I'll probably post the bikes themselves tonight.

I put a small bit of blue tack on the first weapon i use and push it in hard. Leave it a bit and then remove the weapon. The blue tack should have stuck to the at-rt not the weapon leaving you able to replace weapons at will. Even if the blue tack comes off its fine you just put it onto the next weapon. So to summarise: blue tack

9 minutes ago, Jabby said:

I put a small bit of blue tack on the first weapon i use and push it in hard. Leave it a bit and then remove the weapon. The blue tack should have stuck to the at-rt not the weapon leaving you able to replace weapons at will. Even if the blue tack comes off its fine you just put it onto the next weapon. So to summarise: blue tack

Argh I'm so dumb! I have tons of blue tack and use it to stick minis to wood for priming ?‍♂️

Thanks! Sometimes you need someone to point out the obvious

My speeder bikes! Riders TBD.

Added silver highlights and weathering, also some silver on the edges for an effect of chipped paint or exposed metal beneath. Decided to paint the whole area of the instrument panel black/gunmetal and touched the control components with some silver. Dry brushed some weathering on the whole bike and on the seat to make it look more like worn-down leather.

20180827_184429

20180827_184412

20180827_184343