Replacing MTG for middle class casuals

By haonthegreat, in KeyForge

Keyforge is cheap. $10. You don’t need to spend another cent, like ever, and you can always participate.

its fun to play as well.

Nuff said.

I just dropped $300 on Lord if the Rings, because it’s the best game ever. But I’ll drop $10 in a heartbeat for an evening of card play

9 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

I just dropped $300 on Lord if the Rings,

*blinks* Oh God that's right, If you want to get into a LCG after it's been going for a few years and you want everything...

4 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

*blinks* Oh God that's right, If you want to get into a LCG after it's been going for a few years and you want everything...

I liked LotR, but have only a single core and the first cycle. I don't think I'll be getting more, but then again, unlike competetive lcg's you can of course just get it one cycle at a time.

1 hour ago, Palpster said:

I liked LotR, but have only a single core and the first cycle. I don't think I'll be getting more, but then again, unlike competetive lcg's you can of course just get it one cycle at a time.

Or when your LGS puts them on sale. I only have the first cycle and a big expansion of the star wars LCG, but when my store had a special offer I went, ok fine I'll pick up the other big expansion. That's also how I got my Game of thrones 1st edition stuff. When the 2nd edition was announced they put all they had left at 75% off (ok the starter was 50% off) so I picked up that, two big ones and a bunch of packs from several different cycles. A bit random but still good value.

Arkham horror seems to be best way to do a LCG, normally with each pack you pick out the about 3 cards of the faction(s) you play but with AH each pack is also a complete adventure.

What you don't get is the surprise of opening boosters packs and finding out if you got good cards. But that's where Keyforge comes in.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, Lace Jetstreamer said:

I have a family and we do not play gambling games. I was made aware of this due to the SW: BF2 controversy and have rid my family of all gambling loot box / blind box gaming. My family is way better for it too. For those that want to read up on the negative health effects that gambling has on children, see: http://knowtheodds.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/NYCPG_ebook_YouthGambling_052114.pdf

There are plenty of great games that do not use Gambling to sell product.

Genuine question: Do you consider Keyforge a gambling game?

I ask because I truly don't consider KF to be a gambling game. There are 6 people in our family who will play the game; therefore I realistically expect that we'll buy a Core Set and also either 2 or 4 individual decks (it all depends on how fun/interesting the 'learner' decks are) so that we have 6 decks in total. I'm honestly not really concerned about what I get in those 2 or 4 individual decks...I'm just trusting that the algorithm that produces the decks will be competent enough that each of the decks will at least have something going for it, and therefore some reason to play with it and discover its nuances.

I guess I can see how a person would consider Keyforge to be a gambling game if he was trying to find a top-tier deck that will end up dominating in competition. Such a person would probably spend $100 or $200 or more, hoping that he'd find at least 1 top-tier deck in those 10 that he buys. This player isn't going to be happy until/unless he pulls a top-tier deck; so in that sense I could see how this could be a gambling game, because his 'investment' in the game has produced nothing until he finds a deck that meets his requirements/expectations. But I'm really not interested in purchasing or playing the game with that purpose. As a person looking to buy some Keyforge decks for my whole family to use, I'll be happy with whatever we get.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the only way for gambling to get into Keyforge is if the player/purchaser brings it with him.

However, if by the 'gambling game' label you are really referring to 'a game where you don't know exactly what you're going to get with your purchase,' then I'd suggest that you've got the wrong label.

I'm interested to hear your response.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, thereisnotry said:

Genuine question: Do you consider Keyforge a gambling game?

I ask because I truly don't consider KF to be a gambling game. There are 6 people in our family who will play the game; therefore I realistically expect that we'll buy a Core Set and also either 2 or 4 individual decks (it all depends on how fun/interesting the 'learner' decks are) so that we have 6 decks in total. I'm honestly not really concerned about what I get in those 2 or 4 individual decks...I'm just trusting that the algorithm that produces the decks will be competent enough that each of the decks will at least have something going for it, and therefore some reason to play with it and discover its nuances.

I guess I can see how a person would consider Keyforge to be a gambling game if he was trying to find a top-tier deck that will end up dominating in competition. Such a person would probably spend $100 or $200 or more, hoping that he'd find at least 1 top-tier deck in those 10 that he buys. This player isn't going to be happy until/unless he pulls a top-tier deck; so in that sense I could see how this could be a gambling game, because his 'investment' in the game has produced nothing until he finds a deck that meets his requirements/expectations. But I'm really not interested in purchasing or playing the game with that purpose. As a person looking to buy some Keyforge decks for my whole family to use, I'll be happy with whatever we get.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the only way for gambling to get into Keyforge is if the player/purchaser brings it with him.

However, if by the 'gambling game' label you are really referring to 'a game where you don't know exactly what you're going to get with your purchase,' then I'd suggest that you've got the wrong label.

I'm interested to hear your response.

Cheers!

There is a whole thread on this, but my answer was this is a gambling game if you are the type that needs something particular and will buy decks until you get it. If you are fine with buying enough decks and playing the game as intended this is far from gambling. So it depends on you, I dont believe it is intended to be a gamble but to some it will be nevertheless.

1 hour ago, blindside14 said:

There is a whole thread on this, but my answer was this is a gambling game if you are the type that needs something particular and will buy decks until you get it. If you are fine with buying enough decks and playing the game as intended this is far from gambling. So it depends on you, I dont believe it is intended to be a gamble but to some it will be nevertheless.

Yes, you've basically articulated what I said. But I was specifically asking the question to Lace Jetstreamer (the guy who I quoted in my post).

Edited by thereisnotry