A Tiger Stalks His Prey Lore Discussion

By Vulcan646, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

11 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

This hasn't been confirmed in current L5R but in Old5R, Mirumoto, the founder of the Dragon family, his heir was his adopted son. I always liked that touch in the story. It is only one example but it does set a precedent in the setting.

My understanding from previous things stated by the new5r writers is, old5r lore context prior to 1123 (the starting point for the new lore) is considered canon until proven otherwise as part of the changes for the new timeline. So at least as of right now, this should totally still be true in the new timeline.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:49 AM, Schmoozies said:

Robert wasn't a frail elderly king though he was still in the relative prime of his rule when he died, and he left a gaggle of heirs around, just none with his queen.

Neither is Deisetsu meek. He seems quite cunning and strong willed.

1 hour ago, Radix2309 said:

Neither is Deisetsu meek. He seems quite cunning and strong willed.

He's only really meek from Satsume's point of view. And we know he thinks that 3M 6P 3G is not good enough.

19 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

He's only really meek from Satsume's point of view. And we know he thinks that 3M 6P 3G is not good enough.

I mean to be fair, 3M is pretty mediocre for a bushi, hardly fitting for someone of champion quality. Look how clumsy Tsukune is, and even she manages 4M. And what good is all that 6P if she can't even be recognized as having the makings of a Courtier ?

On 8/14/2018 at 9:26 PM, Suzume Chikahisa said:

The Horiuchi daimyo were also adopted.

Practically the entire Horiuchi Family was adopted, taking in war orphans was a huge part of their identity.

9 hours ago, player3015634 said:

Practically the entire Horiuchi Family was adopted, taking in war orphans was a huge part of their identity.

I like the presentation of Hida Sugi in the RPG. Adopted up from the Takumi vassal family to being a Hida as a reward for her mother going above & beyond for the Crab. It’s at once an incredible gift, and also one that gives the clan a ‘disposable’ Hida who can go to the Topaz Championship without being seen as ‘abandoning’ the Wall. I appreciate that it’s shown as a powerful social mechanism.

The scroll was yet another edict for his review, prior to its promulgation. This one concerned a revision to the tax rate on barley. It was likely important in its own way, and it certainly seemed to fall within the purview of the Emerald Champion, the chief enforcer of the Emperor’s law and therefore also its chief tax collector. The bureaucrats who had drafted it assuredly understood their craft and the need for such particulars, so he simply affixed his chop to the scroll, endorsing it under his office, and set it to one side of the lacquered table.

This is probably the most underrated paragraph in the whole story. Barley taxes are gonna rise even higher! Even more reason for people to hate Toturi and the successor that he supports!

14 hours ago, ElSuave said:

This is probably the most underrated paragraph in the whole story. Barley taxes are gonna rise even higher! Even more reason for people to hate Toturi and the successor that he supports!

It says “revision”. In fact, barley taxes are gonna drop. Just another proof of the excellent work the Emperor and the new Emerald Champion are doing together.

Barley-related thoughts:

• Well....Barley is an important crop in the empire. But not - primarily - as a foodstuff like rice, wheat or millet.
  • It's used as a 'in case of hardship' supplement to rice for soldiers but it's most common use is in feed for animals - especially warhorses.
  • Altering the front-end price of Barley has a dramatic impact on a clan's ability to field massed cavalry if they don't have stored reserves, and even if they do, being forced to use green or spoiled barley can render cavalry formations useless for battle pretty quickly.
Edited by Magnus Grendel

Don’t forget barley is also used to brew shochu.

Sure, as a cheaper and harsher alternative to rice sake, is mostly used by peasants... but they don’t call it “Crab Water” for nothing. Expensive barley means less alcohol for our Kaiu Wall friends.

I shudder at the thought of all those Crab warriors totally sober . They might start thinking!

14 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

I shudder at the thought of all those Crab warriors totally sober . They might start thinking!

Nah. The brain is a muscle after all, with all those years of disuse, the cells not killed from the alcohol will be atrophied beyond repair.

I'd be more worried about them not fighting as well while sober. Their muscle memory and reflexes will be out of sync if they're not drunk.

Support of Daisetsu - Gain 1 Fate every round, +3 Influence

Reaction: Take 1 honor from opponent when you break an enemy province.

Support of Sotorii - Gain 1 Honor every round, + 3 Influence

Reaction: Draw 1 card after a successful province break with 5 or more Mil or Pol skill.

?

1 hour ago, Yogo Rye X said:

Support of Daisetsu - Gain 1 Fate every round, +3 Influence

Reaction: Take 1 honor from opponent when you break an enemy province.

Support of Sotorii - Gain 1 Honor every round, + 3 Influence

Reaction: Draw 1 card after a successful province break with 5 or more Mil or Pol skill.

?

You just really want everybody to support Daisetsu, right?

On 8/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, Tabris2k said:

You just really want everybody to support Daisetsu, right?

well the sooner the black scrolls start rolling, the better. ?

5 hours ago, Yogo Rye X said:

well the sooner the black scrolls start rolling, the better. ?

You mean UN-rolling, right? ?

We don't even know if black scrolls exist in this continuity.

They definitely fit under the "historically canon until confirmed otherwise" category that @DGLaderoute described as the philosophy this timeline's fiction is working from.

I haven't read everything, but Denton and Laderoute have confirmed that, under normal circumstances (on discord and the last province), if the Emperor were indisposed or would die leaving a child behind, it would be the Imperial Chancellor who would be the regent until the heir reached maturity.

Also, as a note: Hantei XXXVIII needn't be that old to be that infirm. If he were suffering from the symptoms of something like Parkinson's disease, he might have those symptoms at quite a young age.

I don't recall being quite so affirmative about this...if I was, I don't think intended to be. Frankly, the Emerald Champion is probably a better candidate for Regency in an "in extremis" situation i.e. when the Emperor is either suddenly dead, or is otherwise somehow rendered incapable of ruling, and there's no of-age heir to assume the Throne. The Chancellor is generally immersed in running the Imperial Court and the Imperial bureaucracy, while the EC has much more freedom to do Throne-related stuff. That said, the Chancellor certainly could do it, especially if the EC isn't available or there currently isn't one.

Not that it matters if the Emperor himself designates someone to be Regent when he abdicates. In that case, whoever he names is absolutely the best choice for the post!

Sorry...It might have been just Denton that said that in both places. My apologies. I hadn't captured that screenshot...I thought it was you.

Edited by KakitaKaori

And Rob may be right, if that particular bit of canon came up in his writing or during discussions with Katrina, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there's no automatic "line of succession" established but, if there was, I'd assume that the EC would be most likely to take over first.

It's an interesting point, though.

3 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

I don't recall being quite so affirmative about this...if I was, I don't think intended to be. Frankly, the Emerald Champion is probably a better candidate for Regency in an "in extremis" situation i.e. when the Emperor is either suddenly dead, or is otherwise somehow rendered incapable of ruling, and there's no of-age heir to assume the Throne. The Chancellor is generally immersed in running the Imperial Court and the Imperial bureaucracy, while the EC has much more freedom to do Throne-related stuff. That said, the Chancellor certainly could do it, especially if the EC isn't available or there currently isn't one.

Not that it matters if the Emperor himself designates someone to be Regent when he abdicates. In that case, whoever he names is absolutely the best choice for the post!

I think they're going off Takuan's regency, which was ridiculously unusual -- Toturi missing and presumed dead, no heir, the EC went AWOL, and none of the other major court positions were filled.

And, well, part of the point of Takuan's term was that he wasn't up for it.

Hmm now that DG mentions about it, does feel like our current EC is not gonna be happy whoever succeeds anyway and I wonder how permanent is the EC job in the current lore.

Seems a lot of stories have yet to further unfold before Toturi starts considering his own “army” most likely against a ruler being led by the “Chancellor”.

”The balance of the Force is shifting..” ?

On 8/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

you just made me realize that we have yet to see Satsume's card...

i can totally see the community making a meme out of the fact that he may have worse stats than his daughter

ZigzagFantasticKittiwake-max-1mb.gif

Edited by mirrorcat