A Tiger Stalks His Prey Lore Discussion

By Vulcan646, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

2 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/8/tiger-stalks-his-prey/

Please see the attached link for the new lore article uploaded today.

All I can say is WOW.

The empire is going to get a shake up for sure.

Well, Hantei XXXVIII ain’t wrong, I’ll give him that. Even ‘Big Picture’ Toturi can’t think of a better option...

Daisetsu suddenly ascending with Handel retiring is already shocking enough.

But Shoju as Regent? This is such a shake up. Traditionally I feel like it would have been a Crane. But things have changed.

What does this mean for Shoju and his plans to go into the background?

How does it impact Toshi Ranbo?

I wasn't expecting something so world changing this early.

I will say the story is definitely not following the same path as Old5R, A clan coup might happen, but not under Scorpions direction.

3 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

Daisetsu suddenly ascending with Handel retiring is already shocking enough.

But Shoju as Regent? This is such a shake up. Traditionally I feel like it would have been a Crane. But things have changed.

What does this mean for Shoju and his plans to go into the background?

How does it impact Toshi Ranbo?

I wasn't expecting something so world changing this early.

I will say the story is definitely not following the same path as Old5R, A clan coup might happen, but not under Scorpions direction.

Oh Coup is still on, just likely not because of the machinations of Shouju. I expect we'll see Sotorii rallying the troops against the insidious plots of the Scorpion and Lion who have conspired to rob him of his place on the throne.

Well, that was unexpected.

Anyone have thoughts on who will be a Sotorii loyalist? I reckon Kachiko will support him secretly since she can manipulate him so easily.

HOE. LEE. CRAP.

I'd imagine that makes Kachiko and Aramoro running the Scorpion day to day. Shoju being too busy to rein her ambitions in. We can get our Kisada vs Shoju grudge match if Sotorii calls for troops. This is crazy.

So I've got to ask. Is this why the Dragon army is marching South... I'm also curious who will support Sotorii. Depending on what he promises the Crab I could see them supporting him. Not that I love Sotorii, but the Crab are already not happy with the current Hantei so would welcome a ruler more sympathetic to their cause. By extension Mantis and Unicorn might be influenced to support him depending on how Sotorii approaches them. Toturi's authorship of the decree certainly suggests the Lion are in support, and they are about to go to war with the Unicorn.

My mind also went to Kisada versus Shoju. I hate being on Sotorii's side, but this is a great excuse to get Kisada to march up to the capital. A very nice idea to end the cycle in this way. Very exciting.

Edited by phillos

This was a **** of a hammer drop.

2 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Well, that was unexpected.

Anyone have thoughts on who will be a Sotorii loyalist? I reckon Kachiko will support him secretly since she can manipulate him so easily.

I'm sure she'll play both sides against the other.

I can see it being:

Crane supporting Sotorii just because he will be in opposition to Shoju and the bulk of the Scorpion who are now set to usurp their position at court.

Unicorn also with Sotorii due to their alliance with the Crane and again he will be supporting them against the Lion (you just know he's going to be blaming Toturi for this)

Dragon who knows where they will fall, really depends on Togashi and his opinion on the day.

Crab are likely to fall in line with whoever offers the support they need and demonstrates the strength that they respect. I can see Sotorii making a show of throwing support to them to secure their loyalty, but Daisetsu having the power of the throne behind him also lends a lot of power he can throw their way.

Lion will likely fall in line with Daisetsu since Toturi seems to recognize what a cluster Sotorii would be. The question will be do the traditionalists try and undermine Toturi for their own benefit and cut side deals behind his back.

Phoenix who knows, but my gut will have them fall in line with the throne, especially if the Unicorn are supporting Sotorii.

Scorpion are pretty obviously going to be in the Daisetsu camp publicly, the question is how much will they be working behind the scenes to support both sides to cover their bases.

Mantis obviously this is a brilliant opportunity to garner support for Yoritomo's power play. Which ever side is the most in need of support can be approached with the offer of troops and supplies and if needed a side deal can always be reached to sell them out if it looks like they are going to lose. I do expect though that they will publicly fall in line with whichever side the Crab are supporting.

If Hantei XXXVIII doesn't make it to court on the next day and that edict, written in Toturi's hand, is found ...

I foresee most, if not all, of the Clans splitting on the Sotorii / Daisetsu thing.

Crab - respect strength more than anything, and support against the Shadowlands. If Sotorii decides to take arms to defend his throne, he deserves respect; if Daisetsu gives them jade...

Crane - Hotaru will probably accept her childhood friend's acceptance of the decree, but Uji or Yoshi might oppose it because the Lion are implicated, and the Scorpion are supporting Daisetsu

Dragon - the PLS might see the idea of passing over the heir as being against the will of heaven, while the main clan do whatever the Champion says.

Lion - Toturi is obviously supportive, but a Sotorii who would let the wars go ahead where Shoju might limit them may gain the support of Matsu and Ikoma

Phoenix - there are strong links to Toturi (Kaede, Tsukune) who may follow the Emerald Champion, but I don't consider it impossible that some Masters may see this as feeding the elemental imbalance.

Scorpion - As I suggested before, Kachiko and Aramoro v Shoju

Unicorn - Shahai is suddenly in the position of being potential empress (!!), but there are many who might still consider the Imperial meishodo edict to be an insult to their clan, especially if Daisetsu is a Shugenja as his mirror universe counterpart.

1 minute ago, Manchu said:

If Hantei XXXVIII doesn't make it to court on the next day and that edict, written in Toturi's hand, is found ...

That way lies chaos...

Which is good for stories.

1 minute ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Unicorn - Shahai is suddenly in the position of being potential empress (!!), but there are many who might still consider the Imperial meishodo edict to be an insult to their clan

That right there!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Unicorn - Shahai is suddenly in the position of being potential empress (!!), but there are many who might still consider the Imperial meishodo edict to be an insult to their clan, especially if Daisetsu is a Shugenja as his mirror universe counterpart.

And if the Lion also support Daisetsu that might be more support Sotorii on the Unicorn side. And whlie Sotorii is a vicious little twerp he did not come across as a complete political fool.

Daisetsu seems better but we don't know anything about his own political capital.

There will be a lot of tough choices ahead.

12 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Even worse should be Emperor be found murdered in his chambers after a meeting with his sons (after all I'm sure he doesn't plan to just blindside them with the announcement in the morning) and Sotorii pushes his theory that Toturi and Shoju are trying to usurp his rightful position.

2 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Even worse should be Emperor be found murdered in his chambers after a meeting with his sons (after all I'm sure he doesn't plan to just blindside them with the announcement in the morning) and Sotorii pushes his theory that Toturi and Shoju are trying to usurp his rightful position.

At which anyone with a bit of knowledge laughs: Toturi and Shoju conspiring together ?

1 minute ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

At which anyone with a bit of knowledge laughs: Toturi and Shoju conspiring together ?

If the Emperor declares it than it must be true. Especially if there is a handy conspirator like Kachiko around to support his assertion.

25 minutes ago, Manchu said:

I don't even just see war between clans, but even opposition internal in clans themselves. What if the Doji Family supports Sotorii but the Asahina supports Daisetsu? Or if supporters of a claimant fight among themselves within the Shiba. Like in times of the Four Winds.

Edited by Nitenman

I will laugh so hard if Toturi has written another name than Shoju's on the edict!
Granting regency to someone else, like, himself!

Just now, Theoloc said:

I will laugh so hard if Toturi has written another name than Shoju's on the edict!

It would be the smart play, but sadly Toturi is probably to honorable to do that.

2 minutes ago, Theoloc said:

Or Kaede. I mean, what could go wrong with Kaede being the regent?

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

It would be the smart play, but sadly Toturi is probably to honorable to do that.

It would be a story twist, but would make no sense. Neither in earnest expect the emperor to die overnight, so Toturi would be expected to promulgate it while the Emperor his still alive. It isnt a secret will of inheritance but an edict of abdication.

Shoju..... there are worse picks!

Shoju and Toturi, working together with gritted teeth as They Fight Crime!

And Shono is their sidekick, of course.

And they all complain about how everyone's insane.

Just now, Horvagab said:

Shoju..... there are worse picks!

Shoju and Toturi, working together with gritted teeth as They Fight Crime!

And Shono is their sidekick, of course.

And they all complain about how everyone's insane.

Actually I'm seeing Mitsu over Shono in that group