A Tiger Stalks His Prey Lore Discussion

By Vulcan646, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

So... At the next world championship the winner will choose which name Akodo wrote on the edict?

7 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

So... At the next world championship the winner will choose which name Akodo wrote on the edict?

Maybe? They left it open for that possibility anyhow, although they may decide to release a separate fiction and story decision specific for Worlds, I believe that's what they did last year. Not sure the story team wants to put that significant of a decision in player hands, I feel like that would have far more immediate story repurcussions than deciding if Kuwanan lived or died.

I'd be surprised if this is left up to player choice. I don't know what the Story Team has set up, but letting a tournament decide who's going to be Regent would leave enough long-term story development up in the air that it would really screw with the ability to plan ahead.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:04 AM, Victarion13 said:

Highly doubt it. Just from a lore perspective: Toturi is far too honorable to put any other name than the one the Emperor told him to write.

We’re missing a fiction, the one prior to Worlds, where The Options will be stated.

Something that could happen in that fiction, for example, is that the Emperor dies before making the edict public, and then Toruri a) decides to honor the Emperor’s last will and make the edict public, or b) decides to hide the edict and let Sotorii take the throne.

Or:

Sotorii kills Hantei when he finds out about the edict, but Daisetsu see him. a) He decides to accuse Sotorii and start a civil war for the throne, or b) He doesn’t say anything, but starts plotting secretly against his big brother.

Edited by Tabris2k
4 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Highly doubt it. Just from a lore perspective: Toturi is far too honorable to put any other name than the one the Emperor told him to write.

We’re missing a fiction, the one prior to Worlds, where The Options will be stated.

Something that could happen in that fiction, for example, is that the Emperor dies before making the edict public, and then Toruri a) decides to honor the Emperor’s last will and make the edict public, or b) decides to hide the edict and let Sotorii take the throne.

Or:

Sotorii kills Hantei when he finds out about the edict, but Daisetsu see him. a) He decides to accuse Sotorii and start a civil war for the throne, or b) He doesn’t say anything, but starts plotting secretly against his big brother.

Honestly, like Kinzen pointed out, some things are too big for the long-term development to leave it up in the air for a tournament decision. So something like whether the edict is made public or whether Daisetsu accuses Sotorii still seems like a pretty big immediate plot point to leave open.

Given that the edict is supposed to be publicized the next day, it'd be awfully convenient for the emperor to suddenly die overnight...he's going blind and he's weak, but he still plans on retiring, not falling over dead. And he is fully aware of what a terrible person Sotorii is...somehow I doubt Hantei is dumb enough to do a Marcus Aurelius and give his vicious son the opportunity to murder him in private. We're talking about someone who's best friends with Shoju, here.

I think it's far more likely the Worlds decision will be something unrelated that can be set up for a plot point developing next year, similar to how last year's Worlds decision played out. If there's any connection to this main plot, I suspect it'd be something more along the lines of, "X has happened with the edict, Y is in power now, decide if Z is banished or executed."

On a unrelated note,

wouldn't it be fun if in a future story we hear of a mantis merchant boasting of how he managed to sell a considerable ammount of unpalatable smelly tea to some random dragon monks up in the mountains, passing it up for some rare and prodigious decoction with great healing properties?

What Dragon would be fool enough to be tricked on his home ground?

15 hours ago, Manchu said:

Maybe s/he is half unicorn ;)

OR

An undercover kolat agent

who then tries to use the tea to contact sleeper agents within the imperial palace

Edited by mirrorcat
On 12/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, Manchu said:

Well, there was this one guy, who decided to duel with a Hida and thought he wouldn't get a tetsubo in the face. I heard his sister is still alive.

21 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

Well, there was this one guy, who decided to duel with a Hida and thought he wouldn't get a tetsubo in the face. I heard his sister is still alive.

Actually, old lore he was told before hand that he HAD to lose the duel no matter what as Yakamo was too important to the future to risk losing in a duel. Admittedly he probably wasn't expecting Yakamo to bring a big stick to a sword fight but that's what happens when you get the Crab angry.

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Actually, old lore he was told before hand that he HAD to lose the duel no matter what as Yakamo was too important to the future to risk losing in a duel. Admittedly he probably wasn't expecting Yakamo to bring a big stick to a sword fight but that's what happens when you get the Crab angry.

The Dragon: Proving the Scorpion have no monopoly on "we meant to do that" when they take it in the grill...

Edited by Shiba Gunichi
6 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

As far as I remember, he was specifically ordered to not die because not even Togashi was comfortable with the idea of keeping the future Crab Thunder cool at the cost of the future Dragon Thunder becoming a mentally unstable wreck.

31 minutes ago, AtoMaki said:

As far as I remember, he was specifically ordered to not die because not even Togashi was comfortable with the idea of keeping the future Crab Thunder cool at the cost of the future Dragon Thunder becoming a mentally unstable wreck.

from the O5R Wiki

"Secretly Satsu had lost the duel intentionally, because the Dragon Clan Champion Togashi Yokuni had taken him aside moments before the duel was to start. Yokuni had explained how Yakamo would be the Crab Clan Thunder, and if he were to die at that moment Fu Leng would win in the future. Satsu willingly gave his life for the future of the Empire, although his sister did not know this at the time."

The part you seem to be remembering was the temptation of the Shadow Dragon when he joined the Legion of the Dead and was trapped in the Realm of Thwarted Destiny.

"Legion of the Dead

In 1166 Satsu joined the Legion of the Dead. He had stepped forward to answer Matsu Goemon's call to fight the Legion of Blood. [1] As the two forces initially battled for control over the newly forming realm, Isawa Tsukereleased a massive explosion intending to stop the First Oni, but it also disrupted the realm and knocked everyone in it into private memories of critical choices in their lives. The Realm of Thwarted Destiny was testing each of them, to see if they would embrace their destines or reject them. The realm could become a place where those who failed their destinies could repeat their failures for eternity or a place where those who failed could embrace their fates and find redemption. [6]

Changing his decision

Satsu was again just before the arranged duel with Hida Yakamo. The Shadow Dragon appeared and show him more than Togashi had shown Satsu before. He saw a terrible darkness take root within his sister's soul, consuming her with madness. He saw the Togashi monks murdered by the hundreds. He saw the madman, Kokujin, reign over the High House of Light. The Dragon also gave hope of Fu Leng's defeat even without Yakamo alive. Satsu decided to change the path he took in life. Mirumoto Satsu took up his swords and made his way to the courtyard to kill Hida Yakamo and save his sister's soul. [7]

Pondering with Yokuni

Satsu met Yokuni, the Togashi's Tamashii. Yokuni pondered the decision changed by Satsu, and offered him counsel. The decision itself was not a failure, what the Dragon sought was to seed doubts in the heroes of the Legion. Satsu rose to join their brethren among the Legion."

Ah yes, it was the LotD story... Tho the poor life choices for the Dragon still stand considering how close that bullet was for Togashi. I mean, if the Thousand Years of Darkness AU showed us anything then it was Togashi being a terrible gambler :lol: .

3 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

Ah yes, it was the LotD story... Tho the poor life choices for the Dragon still stand considering how close that bullet was for Togashi. I mean, if the Thousand Years of Darkness AU showed us anything then it was Togashi being a terrible gambler :lol: .

Maybe if he hadn't replaced his heart with a Black Scroll for some reason he wouldn't have gotten hung from the ceiling like a side of beef.

9 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

Maybe if he hadn't replaced his heart with a Black Scroll for some reason he wouldn't have gotten hung from the ceiling like a side of beef.

The lesson of TYD was if Togashi hadn't messed up Hitomi with his poor life choices then Fu Leng would have had zero chance whatsoever.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, mirrorcat said:

you just made me realize that we have yet to see Satsume's card...

i can totally see the community making a meme out of the fact that he may have worse stats than his daughter

ZigzagFantasticKittiwake-max-1mb.gif

Unfortunately, since he's dead before the start of the L5R card game AND L5R roleplaying game (he's featured as a ghost in the intro adventure!) I doubt we'll ever see him.

Well....technically, we might see a 'ghost of Doji Satsume' card if they decide to bring the Topaz Championship characters into the card game, but that's not quite the same thing. About all he does is drink tea and be sarcastically disparaging at you.

Which was pretty much his parenting style with Hotaru, come to think of it.

To be fair Hida Tomonatsu was also dead before the card game started. I doubt it will happen but it would be cool to get a dead characters pack or something with people like Doji Satsume, Akodo Arasou, Mirumoto Satsu and Shiba Ujimitsu in it. Would be fun.

29 minutes ago, phillos said:

To be fair Hida Tomonatsu was also dead before the card game started. I doubt it will happen but it would be cool to get a dead characters pack or something with people like Doji Satsume, Akodo Arasou, Mirumoto Satsu and Shiba Ujimitsu in it. Would be fun.

I think there's at least some small chance of getting a spirit card for Shiba Ujimitsu in future, depending on how they continue his story. He's at least been featured beyond the intro fiction, even if his soul is currently doomed to torment in Toshigoku for the time being...

12 hours ago, phillos said:

True, but we've seen her death (if not exactly 'on camera') during the Crab intro fiction and she's a significant character in an RPG adventure set before it. The Grinning Crane has never been seen alive in any contemporary L5R format.