Mother of Dragons

By monsterberger, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

So, now that we have a new expansion announced, do we have an event at which we can try it out?

Looks like an interesting expansion. I kind of wished the new Vassal system would allow for a 2 player game, but it still looks like 3 players is the minimum.

House Targaryen is interesting in the fact that they only need to hold 7 territories to get a win condition. If you look at the map, they can just solely conquer Essos and win. They will force the Westeros houses to team up against them and commit forces to the east. I would imagine that House Targaryen starts with a very small army and there will probably be a lot of neutral forces in Essos they have to conquer.

I think FFG stated that there will be randomly selected territories that contain loyalists in Westeros. Presumably those territories will be the one you need to conquer.

\USAK

Any news if that Demo map will be available for purchase? Even separately? It's much more interesting than the sideboard previewed in article announcement. I would definitely pay extra for a nice board.

6 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Looks like an interesting expansion. I kind of wished the new Vassal system would allow for a 2 player game, but it still looks like 3 players is the minimum.

House Targaryen is interesting in the fact that they only need to hold 7 territories to get a win condition. If you look at the map, they can just solely conquer Essos and win. They will force the Westeros houses to team up against them and commit forces to the east. I would imagine that House Targaryen starts with a very small army and there will probably be a lot of neutral forces in Essos they have to conquer.

I watched an interview about this and it seems there is a deck of cards for the territories that will randomly select which ones are secret loyalists to House Targaryen. There are tokens to mark these territories and the House Targaryen player will have to conquer 7 of them to win.

Any new content is good in my opinion

Hope they translate the new stuff to Dutch

How do you guys think the Targaryens will be on the Influence Tracks?

On 8/16/2018 at 9:49 PM, hansnery said:

According to someone (look geek forum) who was at the gen con demo, Targ. are at the bottom of all 3 tracks. They can still bid though (on other houses). In other words, teaming up with them will be quite the advantage.

Edited by Frode789

Please make a unified gameboard or -mat, I am willing to pay the price for it if that is the issue.
Don't joke with the freaking track in the middle of a board...seriously...
Sell the map separately if you don't want to place it in the original box.

If you fail to do these things above, please make a high resolution unified map downloadable so the real fans can print it themselves at a local print-shop.
If you fail to make a downloadable map available, you know fans will create the map by themselves and place the file at Boardgamegeek.
So do your fans/customers a favour and make a downloadable high resolution unified map available.

a). Would it be possible to buy a complete board for this expansion? It's little bit confusing to have tracks in middle of the boardgame.

b). Is it tested because it's seems to be not ballanced well? In my opionion, Starks and Arryns will be very vonurable to sea attack. As Starks it will be extreamly hard to defend east coast while they don't have port in Shivering Sea to support and there are Greyjoys on the West still. Arryns Narrow Sea have border with 4 other Seas. Hard to defend as well.

c). Do you plan to make online version of game? I asume it will be hard to me to convince my friends to play the game in 8 player version more than once.

They just announced a play at that can act as a unified board.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:59 PM, Visara82 said:

Please make a unified gameboard or -mat, I am willing to pay the price for it if that is the issue.
Don't joke with the freaking track in the middle of a board...seriously...
Sell the map separately if you don't want to place it in the original box.

If you fail to do these things above, please make a high resolution unified map downloadable so the real fans can print it themselves at a local print-shop.
If you fail to make a downloadable map available, you know fans will create the map by themselves and place the file at Boardgamegeek.
So do your fans/customers a favour and make a downloadable high resolution unified map available.

For real though. That would be much better. Also how do to Influence tracks get makeovers? Where do we place House Arryn and House Targaryen?

Right after I saw this expansion I was thinking that it would be better to just release a 3rd edition with a new board that was made for these new additions.

Maybe in 40 years after GRR Martin has released the 7th book they will make a 3rd edition that is truly complete.

Unified board is great!

Anyway I wonder about balance with House Arryn in the middle of war...

On 8/31/2018 at 11:49 AM, glxx said:

Unified board is great!

Yes! Very nice, I like it :)
Pre-ordered it at the local boardgame store.

I am curious about the size, Fantasy Flight mentioned the size 3' by 3'. Is that a feet? United States, Liberia and Myanmar are the only countries in the world that use that system.
I assume Fantasy Flight Games is aiming at the world as their clientèle, not just the United Sates, Liberia and Myanmar? So.... it makes sense to also mention the size in the metric-system measurement.
If 3' is indeed 3 feet and 100 cm equals 3,28 feet than 3 feet means 91 cm

The playmat costs as much as the expansion does. I love the game but, really?

5 hours ago, Gandalf_ said:

The playmat costs as much as the expansion does. I love the game but, really?

Yes, that seems quite expansive.
FFG doesn't want to hurt the local gameshops.
Shipping cost are very high, so individual orders to Europe for example will be very pricy. So if FFG would offer the mat in their webshops at costprice, local gameshops may not start selling them and the shipping costs are huge for individuals in for example Europe.
But still, I would have guessed the price would be something like $20.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:21 PM, Rogue3 said:

I watched an interview about this and it seems there is a deck of cards for the territories that will randomly select which ones are secret loyalists to House Targaryen. There are tokens to mark these territories and the House Targaryen player will have to conquer 7 of them to win.

At the Home area of Targaryan, you can see 2 printed icons. One is the normal house icon that every house has on it's starting area, and there is one other. Probably a printed loyalist icon.

Great to see they're offering a unified board! Already pre-ordered!

Anyone have a guess when this will be released in Q4? I would think early November to bring in those holiday sales.

What about the Aryn's position on the influence track? Does the expansion comes with a set up of its own? Would like to know the exact content of the expansion and what else Wilma be needed (like the new game mat) before pre-order. Still this new expansion sounds awsome... i mean come on: Dragons!!!

Edited by LucasAgGG
On 9/19/2018 at 11:20 PM, LucasAgGG said:

What about the Aryn's position on the influence track? Does the expansion comes with a set up of its own? Would like to know the exact content of the expansion and what else Wilma be needed (like the new game mat) before pre-order. Still this new expansion sounds awsome... i mean come on: Dragons!!!

All positions will be re-done. FFG said we get new influence track positions, to accommodate the new houses. The only positions we KNOW right now, is Targ being last on all tracks. The other positions are in the open right now..

On 10/2/2018 at 10:59 PM, blanca12 said:

CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC

? We know this already:

ffs80_gamemat_700x.png

They are at the bottom (permanently), on all tracks.

What we don't know, is how the OTHER houses are placed. They will receive new positions, so it won't follow the order of the base game.

I like the way developers try to adjust the game based on the series, so it really does make sense Targaryens are at the bottom of every track, since they are basically banished from westeros at the very beginning, making sense that the objective of this house is to recover that influence thoughout the game.

On 10/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, LucasAgGG said:

I like the way developers try to adjust the game based on the series, so it really does make sense Targaryens are at the bottom of every track, since they are basically banished from westeros at the very beginning, making sense that the objective of this house is to recover that influence thoughout the game.

Yea. Like how they incorporated the white walkers into the expansio- wait...

On 10/9/2018 at 6:13 AM, DrBasseri said:

Yea. Like how they incorporated the white walkers into the expansio- wait...

To be fair, how would you even add walkers in any meaningful way, without drastically altering the game mechanics to make it a completely different game?.... Suddenly it isn't a game of fighting over the throne, but more of a "team-game" vs the walkers. To me, it sounds more like a stand-alone expansion idea.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, Frode789 said:

To be fair, how would you even add walkers in any meaningful way, without drastically altering the game mechanics to make it a completely different game?.... Suddenly it isn't a game of fighting over the throne, but more of a "team-game" vs the walkers. To me, it sounds more like a stand-alone expansion idea.

Could they do something about sending men to the nights watch...like loosing armies to a different war with them... Or making them an army that grows with everyone they kill.