Fan Creations League Stories and Comments

By Avi_dreader, in Fan Creations

Oh hey I may actually be able to try these soon as I'm pretty sure there is a Dunwitch under the tree with my name on it.

Veet said:

Oh hey I may actually be able to try these soon as I'm pretty sure there is a Dunwitch under the tree with my name on it.

Yeah! come'on, friend, join the party! It's really a *great* experience! And besides Scenario 2 (the Glaaki's one), which I still think it's too unbalanced, all other Scenarios I've been through were really a big fun!

Veet said:

I have the stories written up to scenario 13 (and the game mechanics written up to the end). So, if you start playing them faster, I'll start writing and posting them faster :') I'm looking forward to hearing your war stories.

Julia said:

Veet said:

Yeah! come'on, friend, join the party! It's really a *great* experience! And besides Scenario 2 (the Glaaki's one), which I still think it's too unbalanced, all other Scenarios I've been through were really a big fun!

::Laughter:: Scenario 2 is pretty horrid. But you have to admit it's interesting (and makes you sweat). And let's face it, grueling horror should also be part of the Arkham experience. ::Laughter:: and if you think it's unbalanced as is, you should have tried it before I playtested it three times. It was a disaster. That was the one that made me decide I had to playtest all the scenarios (although I haven't had any design problems since then).

Yeah, infected investigators will always move like werewolves on crescents, only the cultists are part time werewolves for crescent movement. You read the card correctly :')

Also, you said "we'll" play it again. Are you playing this with a group or solitaire?

Oh. And it's called a fan. I think.

Uh... I suspect you're right about the movement, but at this point I'd say just leave it as it is. It won't make a huge difference regardless. The exiting space effect might have been primarily to force investigators to shun infected investigators (for joint shopping and trading). The stalking effect is basically just to increase the odds of attacking and infecting someone with fast movement.

Maybe.

I honestly can't remember my intention. It's been a year nearly. Just play as written ;'D it works.

I'm glad you enjoyed the scenario. I told you it was fun ;') Unfortunately, scenario five's more of a drag.

Avi_dreader said:

::Laughter:: Scenario 2 is pretty horrid. But you have to admit it's interesting (and makes you sweat). And let's face it, grueling horror should also be part of the Arkham experience. ::Laughter:: and if you think it's unbalanced as is, you should have tried it before I playtested it three times. It was a disaster. That was the one that made me decide I had to playtest all the scenarios (although I haven't had any design problems since then).

Yeah, it was interesting. And challenging. The only thing I didn't like of that scenario was the way you lose all your skills at the start of the game (no probs with the other two servants in play, but the skill servant... ::shrudding: :) . I like difficult games, forcing you to use wisely your resources, not games stealing your resources since the very beginning. But yeah, you know my thoughts, we already had a long debate on this ::smiling:: and that scenario has also lots of pros, so I'm glad I played it. And beated it :-)

Anyway, maybe you do have a first draft of this nefarious scenario? I was wondering what it looked like originally (yep, Arkhamasochism rulez forever)

Avi_dreader said:

Yeah, infected investigators will always move like werewolves on crescents, only the cultists are part time werewolves for crescent movement. You read the card correctly :')

Also, you said "we'll" play it again. Are you playing this with a group or solitaire?

Oh. And it's called a fan. I think.

I'm glad I moved them correctly :-)

Group or solitaire? Depends on the Scenario :-) Sometimes all alone, sometimes not.

And thank you. A fan, right. Everything should be fixed for wednesday, hopefully :-)

Anyway, for further scenarios... Do you think I may mi-go brain case directly to Devil's reef? Can't remember right now the correct way for playing it

Avi_dreader said:

Uh... I suspect you're right about the movement, but at this point I'd say just leave it as it is. It won't make a huge difference regardless. The exiting space effect might have been primarily to force investigators to shun infected investigators (for joint shopping and trading). The stalking effect is basically just to increase the odds of attacking and infecting someone with fast movement.

Maybe.

I honestly can't remember my intention. It's been a year nearly. Just play as written ;'D it works.

I'm glad you enjoyed the scenario. I told you it was fun ;') Unfortunately, scenario five's more of a drag.

Can't wait to beat it! ::smiling:: as I told you, the idea is to spend the new years eve feasting over the body of the dead lich king ::laughing:: or, at least, seraching for some consolation in a bottle of beer after being slaughtered by him ::laughing louder::

I had an odd idea about this league. Since this is, at the moment, the most amazing experience I ever had in my Arkham-life. Would you mind me to create some SE files hosting the rules for each Scenario? And share them with the community. In case it's ok for you, let me know (and this is another reason for my questions regarding movement. After playing some of the Scenarios, there is a couple of points probably to be clarified)

Ok, I couldn't resist any longer and I started studying Scenario 5. Some points, just to check I got everything:

- basically, Darkness boosts undead monsters, and all monsters turn into undead thanks to the lich king. We should have "normal monsters" with +4 toughness, and "undead monsters" with a +7 toughness (unspendable). For Zoey, this means +1 / +4

- Wendy Adams' Necronomicon substitutes her starting Elder Sign? The sentence "Elder Signs are discarded if drawn (including Wendy’s). Do not redraw" seems to imply she has no starting unique item, while "Wendy Adams begins with The Necronomicon and each upkeep rolls a die, drawing a madness on a 1-2" seems to impky she subtitute it. Not that it's so important, I mean, whether she substitutes it or not, she doesn't have the ES but the book, but... just to know. Another question: when Wendy is the first player, should I roll twice, right? One as per Darkness ability, the other one as per Wendy's penalty

- When day becomes night: draw and resolve the "normal" Mythos card. If it's not a "night" enviroment, keep on drawing until you find a night enviroment. And then? Shuffle again the deck?

- When all servants of Glaaki are in play and a new one should be summoned... it's game over or not? technically, they should awaken Glaaki. And they're faithful vassals, shouldn't sell their skill to a different AO! ::lawyering recklessly::

Anyway, without the Servants of Glaaki, it shouldn't be that impossible to beat. Uhm. A dirty job, indeed ::laughing::

Last point: the quality of the images on your photobucket seems to be a little low. Do you think it's possible to have them in a higher resolution? No hurry, just to know!

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

Yeah, it was interesting. And challenging. The only thing I didn't like of that scenario was the way you lose all your skills at the start of the game (no probs with the other two servants in play, but the skill servant... ::shrudding: :) . I like difficult games, forcing you to use wisely your resources, not games stealing your resources since the very beginning. But yeah, you know my thoughts, we already had a long debate on this ::smiling:: and that scenario has also lots of pros, so I'm glad I played it. And beated it :-)

Anyway, maybe you do have a first draft of this nefarious scenario? I was wondering what it looked like originally (yep, Arkhamasochism rulez forever)

Oh... Well basically I didn't quite think through what happens when a gate opens on Devil's Reef or Y'ha Nethlei. I think one of the servants was also different (making the starting equipment worse). And... The servants were placed randomly... See the problem?

Also, beat, not beated, it's one of those irregular verbs that makes English so charmingly obnoxious.

Need to do inventory. More later.

Julia said:

Anyway, for further scenarios... Do you think I may mi-go brain case directly to Devil's reef? Can't remember right now the correct way for playing it

Yeah, I think you can ;') for no particular reason.

Julia said:

Ok, I couldn't resist any longer and I started studying Scenario 5. Some points, just to check I got everything:

- basically, Darkness boosts undead monsters, and all monsters turn into undead thanks to the lich king. We should have "normal monsters" with +4 toughness, and "undead monsters" with a +7 toughness (unspendable). For Zoey, this means +1 / +4

- Wendy Adams' Necronomicon substitutes her starting Elder Sign? The sentence "Elder Signs are discarded if drawn (including Wendy’s). Do not redraw" seems to imply she has no starting unique item, while "Wendy Adams begins with The Necronomicon and each upkeep rolls a die, drawing a madness on a 1-2" seems to impky she subtitute it. Not that it's so important, I mean, whether she substitutes it or not, she doesn't have the ES but the book, but... just to know. Another question: when Wendy is the first player, should I roll twice, right? One as per Darkness ability, the other one as per Wendy's penalty

- When day becomes night: draw and resolve the "normal" Mythos card. If it's not a "night" enviroment, keep on drawing until you find a night enviroment. And then? Shuffle again the deck?

- When all servants of Glaaki are in play and a new one should be summoned... it's game over or not? technically, they should awaken Glaaki. And they're faithful vassals, shouldn't sell their skill to a different AO! ::lawyering recklessly::

Anyway, without the Servants of Glaaki, it shouldn't be that impossible to beat. Uhm. A dirty job, indeed ::laughing::

Last point: the quality of the images on your photobucket seems to be a little low. Do you think it's possible to have them in a higher resolution? No hurry, just to know!

You can shuffle the deck or not. It's unlikely it'll happen more than once or twice per game. It wasn't my intention that you'd shuffle. It'd probably be good if you did ;') otherwise you know what not to expect in the mythos deck. Then again. It does add a bit of a perk to the day effect.

Also, Zoey's trophies have increased toughness for the purposes of spending.

Yes, Wendy gets Necronomicon instead of her Elder Sign (basically). Wendy's madness effect is separate from The Darkness' effect. So she could get two in a turn, theoretically.

Having the five servants in play has no effect (since Glaaki isn't being used).

Image quality... Sigh... I'll get it fixed, but I'm not in a huge rush... It'll take me a few hours probably. Bleh :'/ tell me which ones you want fixed first and I'll fix them first. The ones for the league?

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

Maybe.

Can't wait to beat it! ::smiling:: as I told you, the idea is to spend the new years eve feasting over the body of the dead lich king ::laughing:: or, at least, seraching for some consolation in a bottle of beer after being slaughtered by him ::laughing louder::

I had an odd idea about this league. Since this is, at the moment, the most amazing experience I ever had in my Arkham-life. Would you mind me to create some SE files hosting the rules for each Scenario? And share them with the community. In case it's ok for you, let me know (and this is another reason for my questions regarding movement. After playing some of the Scenarios, there is a couple of points probably to be clarified)

The answer is probably yes. A few questions though. What will you do for the pictures to go with the scenarios (since I'm somewhat particular about that)? And does this mean I'm going to have to do more work? ;')

I think you'll win. I don't think scenario 5 is that difficult if you play it right. It can drag a bit though (I felt it did anyway). I probably should have started the doom track at two. I felt it was way too easy and anti-climactic, even though it was also really annoying to play. Okay. I just made the change.

Also, I'm really glad you're enjoying the scenarios so far ;') Now I'm worried that the rest of them will disappoint (I was very proud of scenarios 3&4, they're not all like that).

It'll be interesting to see your take on part three of the league :') all this talk has gotten me eager to start working on writing its story.

Avi_dreader said:

Oh... Well basically I didn't quite think through what happens when a gate opens on Devil's Reef or Y'ha Nethlei. I think one of the servants was also different (making the starting equipment worse). And... The servants were placed randomly... See the problem?

Yeah, definitely. It could have been a *real* mess. I certainly prefer the latest version :-) But maybe with the "common item" servant instead of the "skill" servant in play it'd be more enjoyable (a skill is an 8 buck loss, and during game it's very unlikely to have time or money to go skill shopping). But obviously, this is just my opinion

Avi_dreader said:

Also, beat, not beated, it's one of those irregular verbs that makes English so charmingly obnoxious.

Yep, ok. Beat - beat - beaten. Checked & learned. Anyway, thx. Every improvement in my linguistic skills is very welcome

Avi_dreader said:

You can shuffle the deck or not. It's unlikely it'll happen more than once or twice per game. It wasn't my intention that you'd shuffle. It'd probably be good if you did ;') otherwise you know what not to expect in the mythos deck. Then again. It does add a bit of a perk to the day effect.

Also, Zoey's trophies have increased toughness for the purposes of spending.

Yes, Wendy gets Necronomicon instead of her Elder Sign (basically). Wendy's madness effect is separate from The Darkness' effect. So she could get two in a turn, theoretically.

Having the five servants in play has no effect (since Glaaki isn't being used).

Image quality... Sigh... I'll get it fixed, but I'm not in a huge rush... It'll take me a few hours probably. Bleh :'/ tell me which ones you want fixed first and I'll fix them first. The ones for the league?

- shuffling: ok, I'll try. the main point is that my lovely hands are unable to shuffle the complete bloody Mythos deck (consider I have all the cards sleeved), but nonetheless, I'll certainly find a chivalrous volunteer to do this for me ::laughing::

- Zoey: yeah, I got the point. I was doing some maths on combat in my previous post. I know Zoey will be really helpful, going blessing and allies shopping quite often (and I got the point I may not spend "normal undead" trophies)

- ok for Wendy and Servants.

and thanks for the clarification on the mi-go brain case to Devil reef. Lovable.

As far as the image quality... yeah, if you could possibly fix the quality of Darkness and the Lich King, I'd love to play with a printed version of them. But no rush. I won't have time for scenario 5 very soon (I have Scenario 1 and 2 of the french league to play this week). So, if you manage to do this for... Christmas, it'd be great. Otherwise no probs, really.

Avi_dreader said:

The answer is probably yes. A few questions though. What will you do for the pictures to go with the scenarios (since I'm somewhat particular about that)? And does this mean I'm going to have to do more work? ;')

I think you'll win. I don't think scenario 5 is that difficult if you play it right. It can drag a bit though (I felt it did anyway). I probably should have started the doom track at two. I felt it was way too easy and anti-climactic, even though it was also really annoying to play. Okay. I just made the change.

Pictures: I'd love to use some of the art from the Call of Cthulhu LCG. I'm collecting some images right now, to be used with some Heralds, but I think we could find something good even for the Scenarios. In case we don't, I should be able to scan some images from the Art of Cthulhu Mythos artbook, as soon as it reaches me

Extra homework? probably some. Not very much. But we can fix everything with Skype, if you don't mind having another chat. With no rush. But, you know, the first five Scenarios were good (at least, the first 4, still haven't played the last one), and it'd be nice, once playtested and discussed and so on, fix everything and creating something easy for people to find / download / use.

But obviously only if you'd like. I mean, no stress, no rush, no nothing. Just the pleasure to give the proper form to something beautiful

And... "I think you'll win" / "I've just given Darkness two extra starting doomers, you know, I know you know about Australia and that's the point". The second sentence seems a direct consequence of the first one ::sgrunting:: Anyway, I'll try to do my best to win ::laughing::

Avi_dreader said:

Also, I'm really glad you're enjoying the scenarios so far ;') Now I'm worried that the rest of them will disappoint (I was very proud of scenarios 3&4, they're not all like that).

It'll be interesting to see your take on part three of the league :') all this talk has gotten me eager to start working on writing its story.

The first part story was good. I still hate Mary, but the story was good ::laughing:: Don't worry about other scenarios. I think everything will be great ::smiling:: Anyway, you're right, for now Scenario 3 and 4 were the best one. Let's see how everything evolves :-)

Julia said:

As far as the image quality... yeah, if you could possibly fix the quality of Darkness and the Lich King, I'd love to play with a printed version of them. But no rush. I won't have time for scenario 5 very soon (I have Scenario 1 and 2 of the french league to play this week). So, if you manage to do this for... Christmas, it'd be great. Otherwise no probs, really.

The Darkness isn't high enough quality either? ;.( Well... I'll see what I can do.

I'll try to write some more story tonight (maybe another scenario or two), and possibly upload some picture fixes, we'll see.

Julia said:

Yeah, definitely. It could have been a *real* mess. I certainly prefer the latest version :-) But maybe with the "common item" servant instead of the "skill" servant in play it'd be more enjoyable (a skill is an 8 buck loss, and during game it's very unlikely to have time or money to go skill shopping). But obviously, this is just my opinion

The problem with making it item loss instead of skill loss is that it makes it really unlikely for investigators to have starting weapons (I didn't want to just take away equipment they'd just saved up for in scenario one).

Uh... I don't think I'll be updating images tonight... I'll definitely update Darkness and the Lich King before Christmas though. And I finished another scenario plot, and did a lot of dialogue plotting for the next few scenarios, and, well... I can't tell you about the other thing, but I was quite pleased with it (it gave me goosebumps).

Heh... Okay... I just threw in one more scenario (I forgot I never finished one scenario out of the 24). It's nasty. It's winnable. In two ways... But it's going to be a *major* pain, I think. Heh... And I'm done for the night...

Oh... And I figured out something else I can use doom token trigger effects for... It's... Well... I haven't quite thought it through, or where I'll use it (probably near the end). But it's one of my better moments of sadistic inspiration, I think ;'D

Avi_dreader said:

The problem with making it item loss instead of skill loss is that it makes it really unlikely for investigators to have starting weapons (I didn't want to just take away equipment they'd just saved up for in scenario one).

Hum. A good point. Even if it's pretty rare keeping a common item instead of a unique one. But I see what you mean :-)