A Swift End

By HamHamJ2, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Ok, I lost something (I lost many things), lol

Now I need to search all the death playable characters

The Imperial Census thread lists all the characters that have appeared, if they have a card, and if they're dead.

Link.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, shineyorkboy said:

No, Hida Tomonatsu died in Dark Hands of Heaven .

Really? Bugger.

You spend most of the last act of the RPG adventure A Ronin's Path trying to keep the woman alive. What does she die of ?

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Really? Bugger.

You spend most of the last act of the RPG adventure A Ronin's Path trying to keep the woman alive. What does she die of ?

She fought an Oni; killed it by burying her hammer in its skull, then died of her injuries.

The tension was disrupted by the appearance of the samurai whom Kisada had spoken with earlier, striding in from the gate. Two brown-clad peasants trailed after him, carrying a covered body on a stretcher. “I beg my lord’s pardon,” he said with a deep bow. “But I searched the battlefield as you asked. The oni clad in obsidian is dead—found with a hammer buried in its skull.

“Unfortunately, as we moved the oni, we found this body in its grasp.” The samurai walked over and pulled the sheet back, revealing the still form of the bushi, splattered with the black blood of the oni. “It seems they gave their own life to kill the beast.”

Kisada walked slowly over, noting for the first time that the crest on the bushi’s helmet was Hida, that of his own family. The strap that held the mempō in place on the helmet was snapped, and the daimyō carefully lifted the mask aside. The retainer gasped, and Kisada was deeply grateful that the man’s exclamation covered his own shock.

“Ah, Hida Tomonatsu,” the samurai said. “She was a promising warrior. Fortune can be cruel. At least she died well.”

- Dark Hands of Heaven , by Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda.

Edited by Mangod
28 minutes ago, Mangod said:

She fought an Oni; killed it by burying her hammer in its skull, then died of her injuries.

- Dark Hands of Heaven , by Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda.

Thanks. That's the initial core set crab fiction, isn't it? Interesting; I didn't register the name at that point, and samurai-with-otsuchi isn't so distinctive for a Crab as it might be for another clan.

At the point of A Ronin's Path - the adventure in the Beta rulebook - she's the Third Watchtower's commander so is clearly a reasonably senior general, and bit higher up the crab hierarchy than the fiction implies. On the other hand it is the Clan Champion himself calling her 'promising'.

To be fair, that means she has two pretty powerful Oni kills to her name (the obsidian-armoured one and Kazanagan No Oni in A Ronin's Path). Which is pretty good going.

It also clearly sets A Ronin's Path rather a fair way back in the timeline. On the other hand, In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion isn't long after the Emerald Champion's death. Can anyone who played the Wedding Gencon Scenario say when (chronologically) that's set?

Edited by Magnus Grendel
1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It also clearly sets A Ronin's Path rather a fair way back in the timeline. On the other hand, In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion isn't long after the Emerald Champion's death. Can anyone who played the Wedding Gencon Scenario say when (chronologically) that's set?

I'm kicking myself for not asking for more specifics timing-wise, we didn't really get into the details of what exact time the events were taking place. I can say that it definitely takes place after the events of the Phoenix novella, since Asako Maezawa is Tsukune's representative at the wedding. It would also have to be sometime after the Crane started hiring ronin to help in the fight around Toshi Ranbo, since we encountered some ronin bandits impersonating the Crane help. Those are the only details though I can think of to pinpoint when it's occurring.