Well, this was....sort of unexpected.

By Otakuon, in Arkham Horror

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

It's the clutter and chunkiness of the 2e mechanics that causes my eschewing of the game. And setup.

Couldn't agree more with you.

I ended up thinking twice about cracking the game open and the last few times, i found out that EH corrected a LOT (a lot!) of errors and over complications found in AH 2nd ed. Game played a lot faster and was more a compelling story than just totally random stuff.

I noticed there are no dice in the pictures or video.

i do like to roll a dice, and not one with weird symbols on either

3 minutes ago, Cidervampire said:

I noticed there are no dice in the pictures or video.

Now that you mention it, i just noticed it as well.

Guess is that they borrowed the token draw mechanic of AH LCG but with different symbols and modifiers (if any). They can adjust the token pool differently with each scenario (or difficulty), making things more thematic. At first, i wasn't convinced with AH LCG use of tokens instead of dice, but i ended up liking it.

This is really adaptable as a system and i think it's a good decision. For dice, there's always EH which is still (and will remain) an excellent mythos game. I can live with tokens since i know i like both.

There is definitely dice the last Building on the encounter card tells you to roll 2 dice

4 minutes ago, Rufus22234 said:

There is definitely dice the last Building on the encounter card tells you to roll 2 dice

Cool! Best of both worlds

The dice are definitely still a part of the game, and I would bet money that the blessed and cursed system is also here to stay.

ahb01_diagram_skill-check.png

Jenny Barnes has ended her turn at Arkham Asylum, where she befriends a fellow patient and decides to sneak him out using an observation test. With an observation skill of two, Jenny Barnes rolls two dice in search of a five or six. The odds aren’t great, but every ally helps in your lonely struggle for survival.

Edited by DerDelphi
10 minutes ago, DerDelphi said:

The dice are definitely still a part of the game, and I would bet money that the blessed and cursed system is also here to stay.

ahb01_diagram_skill-check.png

Where'd you pull that from?

I'm definitely looking forward to the new edition. It looks like it is different enough of a play experience from 2nd edition that I can justify owning this one and the original. I've played the original more than almost any other board game.

Some thoughts:

My group has been playing a lot of the LCG lately and this looks like it borrows a lot from that for the characters which will be interesting. Hopefully the two games aren't too similar though.

The Codex and archive cards sounds interesting. It looks like this will allow for a more narrative driven play experience than the first edition. It also suggests some interesting possibilities regarding campaign play if they decide to go in that direction for this game. I'm a little on the fence about not really knowing the ultimate objective of each scenario until you find the right cards for the codex. Hopefully it won't turn into another Mansions of Madness first edition situation.

The modular game board is interesting. I guess that means each scenario will only take place in certain parts of the city? Or perhaps you will set up different neighborhoods as the codex/archive cards dictate, with the board starting very small and growing as you play. I didn't see anything regarding otherworldly locations but hopefully they are still in there in some capacity. The otherworldly encounters were fun in AH2 and I would hate to see them gone in favor of only exploring in New England.

I hope they keep some variation of the trophy system from AH2. Being able to turn in monster or gate trophies for upgrades and gear was a great way to reward players for their accomplishments in AH2 and despite being a little janky in its implementation it added a lot of flavor to the game. I loved being able to turn in a bunch of gate trophies to become Sheriff in AH2 and zooming around the board in the car for the rest of the game.

The mythos phase being handled by token draws actually sounds like a fun idea. It lets them take all the elements usually found on the cards and randomizes it. It also lets them have a bit more freedom with difficulty setting. After playing the AH LCG a lot and using the chaos bag I like the idea of that implementation as opposed to something like Eldritch Horror where you put together a deck based on the scenario. The bag seems a little less fiddly to me but I'm sure this will be one of the more divisive elements. I know a lot of people hate the chaos bag in AH LCG. It looks like task resolution is still being handled by dice so hopefully a lot of the complaints typically associated with the chaos bag aren't repeated here.

Other than that I guess we will have to just wait and see. I hope they have a demo at Gencon and someone can comment having played the actual game.

21 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

So, this is my first post outside of the LotR LCG forum, but can someone explain FFG's logic behind re-releasing a game they themselves killed (with Eldritch Horror)?

Is it official, or is this just understood through lack of content, etc. Sorry for my cluelessness, but I'm a fish out of water discussing anything not LotR LCG! ^_^

They killed it, now they brought it back.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor herbert west card

It fits the theme. :)

Edited by Robin Graves
On 8/1/2018 at 8:24 PM, Duciris said:

"Fourth Quarter" Is that Arkham Nights?

I imagine they will at least have it available for early purchases and/or demo

Looks like Nikki Valens designed one more game before leaving FFG.

Since she was the mastermind behind Eldritch Horror I have high hopes for this too.

Valens is leaving the design team? That’s a blow to the company as a whole.

7 hours ago, Runko said:

Looks like Nikki Valens designed one more game before leaving FFG.

Since she was the mastermind behind Eldritch Horror I have high hopes for this too.

Very excellent point Runko. It's a shame she is not there to push the game forward though.

3 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Valens is leaving the design team? That’s a blow to the company as a whole.

Nikki left three months ago

9 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

I imagine they will at least have it available for early purchases and/or demo

It's demoable at GenCon as we speak, so, I imagine it'll be for sale at Arkham Nights

Excellent, so the mythos cup is actually just a randomizer for events.

The Mythos Cup is an integral part of the game, changing the face of Arkham by summoning doom and monsters to hunt your investigators, but also spawning new clues, beacons of hope for your investigators to find and advance the narrative. Various tokens are placed in the Mythos Cup at the start of a scenario, as dictated by that scenario's specific rules. At the end of each round, each player will pull two tokens from the cup and follow their directions, changing your fortunes and unleashing terrible new blights on the city of Arkham.

Once the shadow of the Mythos Phase has passed, the investigators are free to investigate during the Action Phase once again, if they are still standing.

3 hours ago, Julia said:

It's demoable at GenCon as we speak, so, I imagine it'll be for sale at Arkham Nights

I've never been to Arkham Nights, but may be trying to make it this year if space is open. Based on previous years, do you think they would have the pre-order special edition book available if the game were on sale?

3 hours ago, Mortalo said:

As each player pulls from the cup, it fixes any player number scaling problems with ease and without any added complexity.

Here is a nice overview - http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/03/arkham-horrors-3rd-edition-gives-the-game-a-dramatic-and-awesome-overhaul-gen-con-2018

This is nice, but I'm interested in the clue tokens because it appears that they will be in the bag. You do not add tokens back to the bag until it runs out of tokens (as I read), so that means clues will EVENTUALLY spawn no matter what as the bag empties (if tokens do, in fact, spawn clues).

I'm curious how the clues are used mechanically and if they advance the progression of the Codex or are simply re-roll tokens or something similar. Without mythos cards and gates (?) I'm not sure if the function of clues will remain the same. I'm curious how or if they are going to keep "Rumors" around and if they are perhaps included in the codex or essentially function like rumors in everything but name.

Or maybe there are mythos cars as well as the bag, and I'm just assuming the bag replaces the need for the card.

I'm excited for more info, and while I'm sure the game WILL be much shorter that AH 2e, a few rounds in 45 minutes as stated in that review makes me think the 1-2 hour gameplay estimate is going to be the case only once you've really gotten the game down and potentially leave out a lot of the flavor/reading. But who knows?

Edited by Soakman
1 hour ago, Soakman said:

I've never been to Arkham Nights, but may be trying to make it this year if space is open. Based on previous years, do you think they would have the pre-order special edition book available if the game were on sale?

My game plan is to try to do the same. I have a cousin in town, so I'll have him preorder at the FFG Center. Not sure if you can do that online, but if you find that you're headed that way, I'd contact Customer Service to try to set up a preorder & pick-up.

Just now, Duciris said:

My game plan is to try to do the same. I have a cousin in town, so I'll have him preorder at the FFG Center. Not sure if you can do that online, but if you find that you're headed that way, I'd contact Customer Service to try to set up a preorder & pick-up.

Not a bad plan. I'm from very far out of state, so depending on the availability of tickets, I may not make it out there. I have never been so I do not know if tickets are limited or how long to expect them to be available to purchase.

7 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Not a bad plan. I'm from very far out of state, so depending on the availability of tickets, I may not make it out there. I have never been so I do not know if tickets are limited or how long to expect them to be available to purchase.

They got pretty full this last time (I guess, it was my first), but they didn't cap the tickets. If they get that full, I'm sure they'll close the front area, like the do for Worlds, which will accommodate another 60% worth of people.

The tickets are available online, cost 40USD, and can be purchased upon arrival. Highly recommend coming over.

If maybe you wanted a little more info. :D

3 hours ago, Soakman said:

No idea, sorry. Possibly call customer service and ask, they might be of help