Well, this was....sort of unexpected.

By Otakuon, in Arkham Horror

Look, we all knew that Erdrich Horror was finished. Many of us thought that the LCG was meant to be the successor to AH 2e. So the announcement of a 3e is a little surprising (but not entirely, this is FFG after all). Still not sure what I think about this. I thought that 2e was a masterpiece. I was hoping that if they did a 3e it would just be a little more streamlined with updated art. This is so...different. ANd seems like it incorpates ideas from a lot of other games (like Fallout) and yet, does seem to be unique in it’s own way. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by Otakuon

So, this is my first post outside of the LotR LCG forum, but can someone explain FFG's logic behind re-releasing a game they themselves killed (with Eldritch Horror)?

6 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

Lookl, we all knew that Erdrich Horror was finished.

Is it official, or is this just understood through lack of content, etc. Sorry for my cluelessness, but I'm a fish out of water discussing anything not LotR LCG! ^_^

10 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

So, this is my first post outside of the LotR LCG forum, but can someone explain FFG's logic behind re-releasing a game they themselves killed (with Eldritch Horror)?

Is it official, or is this just understood through lack of content, etc. Sorry for my cluelessness, but I'm a fish out of water discussing anything not LotR LCG! ^_^

They were pretty much out of stuff. They had hit most of the major great ones, they had all of the Investigators from their stable, and the mechanics were pretty much done.

Plus Masks of Nylerhotep added a campagin and personal quests for each investigator. It was all wrapped up neat and tidy. Besides they have like 8 or 9 expansions, enough for a mature game.

I expect they'll release smaller expansions for EH yet. Maybe get campaign to work the way the community wants.

I've felt that AH2 was clunky and outdated. It's fairly solid by itself, but add boards and it's more than I want to keep track of. This isn't how I envisioned it, but I'm along for the ride!

I truly can't get enough of the LCG, so here's hoping this fulfills more and different places in my dark soul.

Well I for one certainly hope that this other the other weird card game is not their big reveal for this year cuz that would be a huge disappointment. I m quite happy with my AH2nd and with the lcg version and the "unique" card game doesn't interest me in the slightest. I m hoping they do a world of Warcraft type game with elder scroll since they have the license with Bethesda

"Fourth Quarter" Is that Arkham Nights?

2 hours ago, LudVanB said:

Well I for one certainly hope that this other the other weird card game is not their big reveal for this year cuz that would be a huge disappointment. I m quite happy with my AH2nd and with the lcg version and the "unique" card game doesn't interest me in the slightest. I m hoping they do a world of Warcraft type game with elder scroll since they have the license with Bethesda

There will probably be plenty of more Star Wars stuff to announce. And maybe Runebound/Terrinoth stuff. They usually save the “big reveal” for their inflight report.

5 hours ago, Duciris said:

"Fourth Quarter" Is that Arkham Nights?

Probably for the demo. I'd not actually surprised if the game were demoable at GenCon right now

10 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

can  someone explain FFG's logic behind re-releasing a game they themselves killed (with Eldritch Horror)?   

Oh, simple. They make it just new enough that people will buy it again.

I mean, I would have bought Arkham Horror 3E that was almost identical with 2E, but with some of the better mechanics of EH pilfered (GOO specific encounters, setup and win conditions, reckonings).

But why would they think people would buy it instead of continuing to play Eldritch Horror? It would be like reprinting AH second edition after releasing third.

Because this is different from Eldritch Horror.

Essentially, what about AH3 makes itself a different play experience than Eldritch? I'm not trying to be facetious, but I don't see the difference (other than the rules of course).

24 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Essentially, what about AH3 makes itself a different play experience than Eldritch? I'm not trying to be facetious, but I don't see the difference (other than the rules of course).

AH and EH have always been different spheres - Arkham is small & local, while Eldritch is global.

Thematically, I view Mansions closer to Arkham than Eldritch is - small local events & maneuvering around streets & buildings.

The thing that they improved the most when creating Eldritch Horror was narrowing the story focus. They changed the monster pool (via elite enemies) to be more thematic with the Ancient One, as well as the random monsters spawning in locations that were thematic with them. They also changed the random events to be tied to the AO so that each event felt appropriate. The location decks still had their own event happenings so not everything was tied to the main story, but largely, taking on Hastur feels different than being obliterated by Azathoth. That isn't as uniform in AH2. The more recent expansions for AH2 did add these elements, but there were so many different components going on by then.

To me, adding a board or expansion mechanic to AH2 is a serious undertaking. In EH, it is fairly seamless.

AH3 doesn't look like it will take the place of the AH:LCG, but it looks to be lifting a few mechanics - mythos cup = chaos bag, the codex looks like the agenda & act decks in one.

All of this should bring AH into the modern era of gaming. I got AH in '05 or '06 and it was my first big game. It was too much for me. I've gone back and played it again with a decade's worth of gaming, and it's not more difficult or random than my normal endeavors.

When it was released, AH2 was one of the few cooperative board games. Now, there are hundreds. It always felt a bit clunky to me, and its mechanics haven't kept pace with those newer ideas in cooperative gaming. I think that the core feel of the game can and will survive, and that updated mechanics will allow for more streamlined play, less clutter, and a more dynamic game.

2 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

re-releasing a game they themselves killed  (with Eldritch Horror)?   

I have to admit that even as a huge fan of EH, the last big box expansion was a bit... underwhelming?

Okay, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Shirys said:

I have to admit that even as a huge fan of EH, the last big box expansion was a bit... underwhelming?

I think that was the overall consensus.

I think this could actually be a really good, polished game. Looks fun and solid.

What i really like based on what i see in the article is, of course the scenario/mystery based objectives, but also the reduced amount of decks swarming on the table. You just setup the district decks you need for a specific scenarios instead of all district decks (was it 9 or 10?) which half of it ended up being drawn from only once or twice during a normal AH 2nd ED session.

Thing is, with all the EH horror similarities found in that game (investigator sheets, mysteries, objectives, etc...), would this mean the end of the line for EH products?

Edited by Shirys
36 minutes ago, Shirys said:

Thing is, with all the EH horror similarities found in that game (investigator sheets, mysteries, objectives, etc...), would this mean the end of the line for EH products?

There doesn't really seem to be any reason to continue releasing EH products with this coming. Even with all the differences between the two, they both occupy the same 'sphere' of long, moderately heavy, thematic co-ops. EH (my favorite game) had a great run, but it makes sense to bring back AH with a fresh coat of paint, especially with the departure of Nikki Valens from FFG.

It seems likely that after 3-4 years and 7-8 expansions, FFG will circle back around with EH 2nd Edition. Then, a few years and EH 2E expansions later, we'll be back to AH 4th edition, etc...

Edited by KBlumhardt
37 minutes ago, Shirys said:

I think this could actually be a really good, polished game. Looks fun and solid.

What i really like based on what i see in the article is, of course the scenario/mystery based objectives, but also the reduced amount of decks swarming on the table. You just setup the district decks you need for a specific scenarios instead of all district decks (was it 9 or 10?) which half of it ended up being drawn from only once or twice during a normal AH 2nd ED session.

9 for the base game, plus 3 for each of the 3 board expansions.

It's the clutter and chunkiness of the 2e mechanics that causes my eschewing of the game. And setup.

ahb01_cardfan_dt-encounter1-2.png

Just noticed, La Bella Luna is going to be in the new version! It was one of the locations from the LCG's Dunwich deluxe expansion.

The Dunwich expansion has me wondering, we were hoping (and pleasantly surprised when it materialized) that FFG wouldn't go down the Dunwich, Kingsport, Innsmouth checklist for the LCG. For this, I'm curious if those locations won't just add new districts that can be added via a railroad connection from one point in the Arkham locations. It'd beat the heck out of having 18 location-event decks, but it may not scratch the hugeness itch for those into that sort of thing. (Amazing how quickly this community jumps to expansion speculation after a game's initial announcement.)

The real question is... Is my willpower high enough to say no?

Edit: About the special edition book that comes with pre-orders...

The book delves into the rich history of each of Arkham’s neighborhoods, providing a rich backdrop to every game. It also introduces you to two of the game's newest investigators with two full-length short stories that invite you to confront the madness of Arkham through their eyes!

I want to know who these stories are about! One is inevitably Daniella Reyes, but is the other one Calvin or Sefina! I see Calvin has a standee, but I want my Sefina story!

Edited by Soakman

Just noticed they are using 'roles' that seem to be a carry over from the LCG. This was snipped from the video and is on Agnes's investigator card. 2nd is from Daniella. Looks like mystics will be aiming at eliminating doom, guardians will be protecting others and taking out monsters, rogues seem ambiguous and look to be about efficiency, and survivors look to be simply good at, well, surviving. I'm assuming seeker is in this too and will be adept at snatching clues.

In a way, this looks a LOT like the card game only with more 'replayability/randomness' and no deck building. And bringing back more of the locations and NPC's we loved from AH 2nd E.

Capture.GIF

oo.GIF

Edited by Soakman
2 hours ago, Soakman said:

The real question is... Is my willpower high enough to say no?

Edit: About the special edition book that comes with pre-orders...

I want to know who these stories are about! One is inevitably Daniella Reyes, but is the other one Calvin or Sefina! I see Calvin has a standee, but I want my Sefina story!

I'm betting it's the 2 non-Sefina. I knew we were missing those three, as well as which 1 you'd be pulling for!

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

Just noticed, La Bella Luna is going to be in the new version!

Wow! That is an amazing idea. Didn't even realize ?

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

The Dunwich expansion has me wondering, we were hoping (and pleasantly surprised when it materialized) that FFG wouldn't go down the Dunwich, Kingsport, Innsmouth checklist for the LCG. For this, I'm curious if those locations won't just add new districts that can be adde  d via a railroad connection from one point in the Arkham locations. It'd beat the heck out of having 18 location-event decks, but it may not scratch the hugeness itch for those into that sort of thing. (Amazing how quickly this community jumps to expansion speculation after a game's initial announcement.)

If what you say becomes true, i have huge expectations for that game and i'm really excited for this.

New amazing AH LCG expansion cycle currently running, excellent reskin of WHQ:TACG with the incoming Heroes of Terrinoth and now this, Q3 and 4 2018 will be an amazing time for FFG fans!