Outsiders - Phoenix Fiction

By Duciris, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Calling the Seppun responsible adults might be a bit of a stretch. Ish ikawa is acting kind of like a jilted teenager about Toturi going to the prom with his girlfriend....... And just when Ishikawa worked up the courage to tell Kadae that he like likes her.

How did he act like a teenager?

On 7/19/2018 at 5:24 PM, mirrorcat said:

I revisited the insert and aside from the champion's kids reluctance to make a dagger for her and (in another event story) her father mentioning that sharing the meishodo secrets would alienate her from the clan, i can't seem to find anything suggesti her friendship with the prince.

did i miss something?

Just for the record, this is the flavor text in Shahai’s card:

“I locked my heart away, my prince. I left it behind, that none could see it break.”

Given that we have seen that the flavor text for various uniques are excerpts from the fictions, and the “intimate” nature of the conversation, I’d say the friendship between Shahai and Daisetsu is a sure thing.

Of course, it can be that she’s talking to Sotorii. Maybe the heir of the Emperor has taken a romantic interest in Shahai? And Shahai takes advantage of this to advance her agenda (if she’s indeed a Bloodspeaker)...

Ohhh, or how about this end up being a love triangle between Shahai, Daisetsu and Sotorii. Sotorii feels that he, as the heir, is entitled to Shahai (we have seen how much of a prick he his), but Daisetsu and Shahai are secretly in love?

I feel the odds of Shahai being a bloodspeaker within months of her gempukku to be unlikely, but with that quote, maybe she's a khadi :D

As the ultimate twist on the old canon, Shahai is all that stands between Daisetsu and a fall to evil...

On 7/21/2018 at 8:13 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

Calling the Seppun responsible adults might be a bit of a stretch. Ish ikawa is acting kind of like a jilted teenager about Toturi going to the prom with his girlfriend....... And just when Ishikawa worked up the courage to tell Kadae that he like likes her.

I love when geo-political issues can be summed up as high school melodrama.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:50 AM, Shiba Gunichi said:

As the ultimate twist on the old canon, Shahai is all that stands between Daisetsu and a fall to evil...

Except for the art on her card would suggest otherwise.

Not to toot Ishi Tonu's horn, but I'm pretty hype for where that story goes. That flavor text gives you a lot.

2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Holding a spark of light in the darkness suggests someone heroic to me.

3 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

utzTCyo.png

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Holding a spark of light in the darkness suggests someone heroic to me.

What does sitting in a puddle of blood suggest?

51 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

That you've thoroughly ruined someone's day?

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I want to see the actual card to be sure (the watermark makes it difficult to tell) but I thought that was cherry blossom.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

That “those days of the month” came suddenly and she didn’t have time to prepare?

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I want to see the actual card to be sure (the watermark makes it difficult to tell) but I thought that was cherry blossom.

I have been looking in Le Vuong’s site the last couples of days to see if he uploads the image at a higher resolution, but no luck so far. He has already uploaded some of his work for this new cycle, so hopefully he’ll upload Shahai soon.

Edited by Tabris2k
56 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

i'm of a similiar opinion,
it does look like a purple garment of sort with several petals surrounding it.
that said i can not fathom what those white silhouettes behind her may represent

EDIT: maybe she is just harassing some OCD crane spy

L5C13_91.jpg

best quality/size i could find

Edited by mirrorcat

The new Unicorn fiction has a better quality picture

l5c12_a3_art2.png

It’s definitely not blood

Rose petals. The clouds in the back may be smoke and ashes.

The art makes a lot of sense after reading this week's story.

26 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Rose petals. The clouds in the back may be smoke and ashes.

Also, notice that her kimono is torn in various places, as if she just got out of a fight. The roses stripped of their petals and the smoke I think reinforce that idea.

59 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Also, notice that her kimono is torn in various places, as if she just got out of a fight. The roses stripped of their petals and the smoke I think reinforce that idea.

maybe she got into a catfight with Shizue for the Prince ;)

---

i wonder what purpose does that small red amulet on her left wrist serve

Edited by mirrorcat
1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

It’s definitely not blood

Not yet...

Could also be from her exploring the garden

She did think about setting fire to the palace and/or gardens...

Or it's symbolic of her mental and emotional state.