Kurosunai Village

By Coyote Walks, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/11/kurosunai-village/

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to present "Kurosunai Village" by Chris Longhurst, a new piece of fiction set in the world of Legend of the Five Rings !

l5c10_a3_art1.png

"Kurosunai Village" focuses on a group of peasants located in Crab lands and their daily struggle in the world of Rokugan. This is a stand-alone story that can be downloaded here (1.8 MB).

Edited by Coyote Walks

So reading this I'm thinking Crab are having bigger issues then they have been letting on.

This is probably one of my favorite stories from the new lore so far. The peasants were so much more relatable than the samurai have been in general so far.

1 minute ago, Spawnod said:

This is probably one of my favorite stories from the new lore so far. The peasants were so much more relatable than the samurai have been in general so far.

Which isn't surprising. The Rokugani peasants are just folks trying to get by, day to day (like most of us in the real world). The samurai, OTOH, view and interact with the world in a way that VERY few of us in RL do (or even likely would!)

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

So reading this I'm thinking Crab are having bigger issues then they have been letting on.

The Lost going after the Hidden Storehouse of Hooch ? Or the lack of fuel for a Bar Brawl ?

48 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Which isn't surprising. The Rokugani peasants are just folks trying to get by, day to day (like most of us in the real world). The samurai, OTOH, view and interact with the world in a way that VERY few of us in RL do (or even likely would!)

Yes. -_-

Story description is wrong.

Should have read:

"A corrupt Altansarnai doppelganger and her faceless samurai henchmen discuss barley storage methods with a Crab Clan Magistrate and hijinx ensues."

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Nice story!

Though I'm tempted to bring that peasant guy in as a faux ronin with unknown taint in a future RPG game :P

"I can see perfectly"

Now THAT'S a proper badass boast.

13 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

"I can see perfectly"

Now THAT'S a proper badass boast.

I could actually imagine that scene playing out in a film, with the massive "Oh crap" look that follows.

I'd be okay with more fictions from peasant pov. This was great! I love the way the peasants thought about samurai in this one.

"He crossed the path and kissed her hello."

= normal people

It's strange to be reading a story, read about a guy greeting his girlfriend with a kiss, and my reaction is, shameful! Just goes to the frame of mind I am in when I read fiction set in Rokugan.

"Samurai are human. But Bushido comes from the Kami."

This makes it seem like a world where aliens rule and their human accomplices struggle against their own humanity to better serve the aliens. FWIW I don't think Bushido is really about being less human. From a samurai's POV, peasants are the ones who are less human.

10 minutes ago, Manchu said:

"He crossed the path and kissed her hello."

= normal people

It's strange to be reading a story, read about a guy greeting his girlfriend with a kiss, and my reaction is, shameful! Just goes to the frame of mind I am in when I read fiction set in Rokugan.

"Samurai are human. But Bushido comes from the Kami."

This makes it seem like a world where aliens rule and their human accomplices struggle against their own humanity to better serve the aliens. FWIW I don't think Bushido is really about being less human. From a samurai's POV, peasants are the ones who are less human.

I think that's a good way to look at it honestly. Samurai are trying to be more like their gods. They're also supposed to guide peasants to being better.

30 minutes ago, Manchu said:

This makes it seem like a world where aliens rule and their human accomplices struggle against their own humanity to better serve the aliens.

Sounds about like Kolat thinking...

2 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Sounds about like Kolat thinking...

What are you talking about there is no such thing as the Kolat they're just a myth. Here have an oreo

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

What are you talking about there is no such thing as the Kolat they're just a myth. Here have an oreo

Ooh I like cookies! Wait, did I just join something? ?

Excellent story.

Makes Taka's conversation with Yoshi all the more galling, of course, but hey, them's the breaks!

Without jade, the Crab are going to starve as they purge their agricultural base. Oof.

AND a promise of Phoenix goodness next week!

Keep it coming, FFG, I needz my fix...

Also of note- the Lost in this story may have been bloodthirsty butchers with odd quirks, but they weren't too insane to engage in conversation, lucky them. No Shadowlands Madmen (clearly refugees from White Wolf's World of Darkness property!) this time.

#KakitaYoshisiafool

Well, this bunch are in theory less madmen. That's not to say there aren't madmen as well, they just probably weren't as successful getting past Crab defenses.

7 hours ago, Manchu said:

I think it's more that samurai see peasants as young children. They haven't been through enough kharmic cycles to have a proper understanding of the world.

That's a very good point.

Plus it's an issue of duty and responsibilities - from their perspective, the peasants have it easy; grow enough food and show respect to your betters and that's duty done.

You don't have a clan whose political needs you have to think about, so you can actually have a relationship with someone you have feelings for, and when an unstoppable enemy army rolls over the hill, you can do the sensible thing and run the heck away instead of being the one who has to buy time for everyone else to escape.

19 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Makes Taka's conversation with Yoshi all the more galling, of course, but hey, them's the breaks!

I was thinking the same. You know, if only Yasuki Taka was as interested in communicating his clan's problems as he is in chewing on hayseed and wallowing in koku conned from ignorant peasants.

#ItIsBeneathMeToScoldAnInferiorPersonWithHashtags

Edited by Manchu
10 minutes ago, Manchu said:

I was thinking the same. You know, if only Yasuki Taka was as interested in communicating his clan's problems as he is in chewing on hayseed and wallowing in koku conned from ignorant peasants.

#ItIsBeneathMeToScoldAnInferiorPersonWithHashtags

Yeah you keep pulling for your favorite conceited fool there

#KakitaYoshiIsAFool

shhh, this is Great Clan business

3 minutes ago, Manchu said:

shhh, this is Great Clan business

Thus why we members of the greatest clan are getting involved.

Oh it's just that your user avatar is a pirate flag.