Tainted Lands story insert

By shineyorkboy, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

What the Empire needs is a Jade Champion like Kuni Yori!

"Lord Kisada has made it clear that every resource, every opportunity to assist the clan, must be exploited."

You have damned us all Yori, with your foolish pride- truly!

Great fiction, btw!

I took his final "But I know you" to mean that he didn't know their plan wouldn't work per session, but he assumed it wouldn't because he knows the Taint, and knows it won't willing give up whatever it has taken a hold of.

Hopefully his fascination with it is matched by a hatred as well. Would be an interesting twist if our damned Kuni also becomes a thorn in the side of the Shadow lands. His fate in the old story never really had an end did it?

19 minutes ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Hopefully his fascination with it is matched by a hatred as well. Would be an interesting twist if our damned Kuni also becomes a thorn in the side of the Shadow lands. His fate in the old story never really had an end did it?

He ended up serving Iuchiban in the afterlife trying to take control of the Realm of Thwarted Destiny.

I agree this story was fantastic. I feel like the Crab have been blessed with some of the best fictions in the new canon. I really like delving into Yori before he gets corrupted. If he does get corrupted this go around. Though feels like this fiction is heavily hinting that he's on that path. I think the Kuni are my favorite Crab family. I love that they are walking a very dangerous line, but the benefit they bring to the Crab is invaluable. Also "We waste nothing" speaks to the heart of the Crab philosophy :)

This one is pretty unusual for the stories we've seen so far in that a a single character is moving around a lot to progress the narrative:

Scene 1: Capenter Wall Scene 2: Castle Kuni → Scene 3: Ayame's Lab → Scene 4: Ayame's Lab, Weeks Later → Scene 5: Castle Kuni

This really gives the impression that Kuni Yori is an extremely busy but also very organized and driven person, which is of course supplemented by his characterization in dialogue.

I'm really impressed by how much happens in this rather tiny amount of text.

Yori was a fun character to write. He's very different than the usual Rokugani; when I write about Hotaru or her brother, or even Kachiko and Shoju, I need to keep Bushido and the other political/social/cultural aspects of the Empire in the back of my mind--to what extent is this character either adhering to, ignoring, or flouting the predominant social code of Rokugan? But with Yori, Bushido and the niceties, scheming and other aspects of life away from the Wall just didn't seem to matter much. What matters to Yori is "the enemy". He's all about his Clan, their sacred duty and..."the enemy". Getting into Yori's head really made me think we weren't in the Empire anymore, or at least the Empire as most Rokugani know it.

I've really come to enjoy writing about the Crab, because not only are they a cool thing to write about in themselves, but they offer both a break from, and (I think) a opportunity to write better about the rest of the Empire.

Edited by DGLaderoute
6 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

I've really come to enjoy writing about the Crab, because not only are they a cool thing to write about in themselves, but they offer both a break from, and (I think) a opportunity to write better about the rest of the Empire.

I think what you're trying to say is that the closer the story is to the Shadowlands, the more interesting it is and you hope FFG let's you do a bunch of Shadowlands fictions.

I totally agree ;)

Edited by Ishi Tonu

I’m the only one who thinks that, when Yori says “I expect to soon have another subject for you”, is referring to himself?

Like, he recently found out that he has the Taint, he’s keeping it at bay as best as he can, and that’s why he has “a renewed interest” in Ayame’s work, and was so eager to try it on humans.

On 8 luglio 2018 at 1:11 AM, DGLaderoute said:

Yori was a fun character to write. He's very different than the usual Rokugani

Looks like another one was charmed by his charismatic persona.

he is very popular, must be due to his fair skin and those sensual mustaches

b6cfe0134eeeb7f55339a7dfbb85e4a2_400x400