Tainted Lands story insert

By shineyorkboy, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

http://kolatinformant.com/wp-content/uploads/Gaze_Into_Darkness_by_DG_Laderoute.pdf

I don't recall the old story ever delving into Yori prior to his being completely consumed with corruption, so this is rather unique in that regard. Wondering if the the voices in his head are regular madness, the Taint, or Iuchiban.

Always nice to see a future Jade Champion. Although I'm petty sure Daigo's been born earlier than in the old story, unless he was, like, in his eighties during the Destroyer War.

Porcelain Mask of Fu Leng confirmed!?

Gotta be right?

Ah, the Crab- so reliably stone-faced.

Can't wait for Tadaka to compare notes with the Kuni. Surely, nothing untoward will result. At all.

Yori seems to be on a broadly familiar path, but we'll see where things go.

Yet another shugenja who doesn't seem to have any elemental imbalance difficulties, at least not with the Earth kami.

I have a suspicion we'll see Ayame again...

50 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Can't wait for Tadaka to compare notes with the Kuni. Surely, nothing untoward will result. At all.

Of course not. After all, both are closely studying the notes and journals left behind by their highly reviled predecessors...to learn from the past, certainly. Not repeat it.

7 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Of course not. After all, both are closely studying the notes and journals left behind by their highly reviled predecessors...to learn from the past, certainly. Not repeat it.

In another thread I just talked about bait-and-switch potential and I feel that is where the Yori/Tadaka story is going to go. Yori is too far gone, but Tadaka may yet still be saved and I think Yori will do so in a twisted way. At first they will hit it off great, but the more Tadaka realises how far gone Yori already is, the more he will be scared straight.

4 minutes ago, Saibot said:

In another thread I just talked about bait-and-switch potential and I feel that is where the Yori/Tadaka story is going to go. Yori is too far gone, but Tadaka may yet still be saved and I think Yori will do so in a twisted way. At first they will hit it off great, but the more Tadaka realises how far gone Yori already is, the more he will be scared straight.

Or if they really want to flip things, Tadaka jumps whole hog into Yori's research and seeing the effect it is having on him Yori has his come to the Kami moment and is the one scared straight.

I can't help but think of the Scared Straight sketch from SNL.

Really liked that one. Been some really good Crab fictions and I need more! :D And if Daigo's around can we have Kuon plz?!

5 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

Really liked that one. Been some really good Crab fictions and I need more! :D And if Daigo's around can we have Kuon plz?!

Sure but first you need to pry his father away form the Unicorn.

O-Ushi and Yasamura have been confirmed so far! But I don't think Kuon's father was an essential part of his character. I can wait and all... just the hardest part of a Clan Wars reboot is being a Gold Edition player >.>

10 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

Always nice to see a future Jade Champion. Although I'm petty sure Daigo's been born earlier than in the old story, unless he was, like, in his eighties during the Destroyer War.

When I went back to check Daigo's age/birth date/death date, it turns out that it was never specified. In the old lore, he became Jade Champion in 1169, which is 46 years from now in the new setting. I reasoned that, if he was, say, 15 or 16 in this story, then he'd be 61 or 62 in 1169, which really isn't an unreasonable age in Rokugan for a relatively senior-ranking samurai who isn't actually killed by someone or something along the way. I hasten to add this doesn't mean he is (or isn't) going to end up as Jade Champion or anything else...I just thought the fans familiar with the old story would like to see some young versions of characters they came to know and love (or hate!)

4 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

O-Ushi and Yasamura have been confirmed so far! But I don't think Kuon's father was an essential part of his character. I can wait and all... just the hardest part of a Clan Wars reboot is being a Gold Edition player >.>

At this point I wouldn't count on seeing any non-clan war era characters in any sort of recognizable state just because the odds of the story getting you to the same place where them appearing as they did the first time makes less sense.

I'd love a return of Bayushi/Yoritomo Aramasu and for them to actually explore his story potential in the story rather than have him die off-screen to establish a pointless one sided internal power squabble for the Mantis. Sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon

For sure I don't expect it soon, I'm happy to get my chance to see Clan Wars legends in a medium other than Open tournaments and the Clan Wars books. Don't get me wrong. But I do really hope that if the story does progress to the next generation that we get those fan favorites back as well. There were a lot of really neat characters after the old guard died off, and some of the old guard were cooler as old men.

That was one of my favorite fictions so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Yori.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:34 AM, Ishi Tonu said:

Porcelain Mask of Fu Leng confirmed!?

Gotta be right?

If it's keeping with the old timeline at all, it's one of the Four Masks of Iuchiban, part of the seals on his tomb. In the AEG timeline, Yori's dad tried to use the mask he had to find the other three and it took Yori and his older brother to kill him (the older brother died in the process). I would presume that didn't happen here as Yori doesn't seem to know what the mask is.

Edited by kTravio

Yeah that's why I was thinking it might be something different. Or it could be one of the 4 Iuchiban masks and they just aren't going into the backstory about it. At least not for now.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Yeah that's why I was thinking it might be something different. Or it could be one of the 4 Iuchiban masks and they just aren't going into the backstory about it. At least not for now.

Honestly think that's sort of what they're doing - lots of "wink wink, nudge nudge, eh eh?" moments for people familiar with the old game (such as, randomly for example, Hotaru's husband being Fox and Daisetsu's name and this mask) that may never actually be visited at all again or in any real detail. They never have to come back to that mask necessarily but there's that little moment of giddy glee for those recognizing the reference.

Well there is only one way to find out. I dare FFG to have Yori put the mask on!

Triple dog dare!

Edited by Ishi Tonu
7 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Well there is only one way to find out. I dare FFG to have Yori put the mask on!

Triple dog dare!

No Tadaka needs to try the mask on when he comes to visit. After all the mask would be much better for hiding his new face mutilation than the current scarf method he is going with.

My vote is for Kakita Yoshi.

10 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

My vote is for Kakita Yoshi.

Like Yoshi would be caught undead wearing something so hideous. It doesn't match any of his Kimonos.

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

No Tadaka needs to try the mask on when he comes to visit. After all the mask would be much better for hiding his new face mutilation than the current scarf method he is going with.

How about it is one of the 4 Iuchiban masks......Yori gets Tadaka, Junzo, and Shahai to help find the other three.

They do some sort of riff on the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse heralding Fu Leng's return.....

Shahai being close to Daisetsu says she needs a vessel for Fu Leng and he willingly accepts so he can have the power to take over the throne......

Diagotsu is reborn, gets the PMoFL.......yadda yadda yadda, bad guys win.

But the thing about the 4 masks of Iuchiban is that they were unusually large and not suitable to wear.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

But the thing about the 4 masks of Iuchiban is that they were unusually large and not suitable to wear.

........Well that's why these 4 people need to hurry out to the Shadowlands so that can make a deal with Fu Leng to help them get swoll so they can fit those masks.

I mean we already have a Maho STD..... There is probably some tainted HGH laying around somewhere that will do the trick.

Bind them to an Oni

Grow big

Wear mask

Profit

Edited by Ishi Tonu
5 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Like Yoshi would be caught undead wearing something so hideous. It doesn't match any of his Kimonos.

Indeed!

Kakita Yoshi may be a fool, but he's also a Crane. Appearances matter!