A Crane Takes Flight

By Coyote Walks, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

She just needs to hire a Kitsuki. Scorpion plots are notoriously vulnerable to their empirical methods. Of course, maybe that is exactly why she wouldn't.....

2 hours ago, HamHamJ2 said:

Or it could blow up the Magistrate's investigation. There's a reason the highest authority in an investigation usually take control over the whole thing.

Of course, though they have good reason to believe they are being manipulated by the very forces that would control those investigators. They could be wrong and it could become a spectacular mess. I'd be down for that as well :)

Edited by phillos

There's also the fact that the Crane doubting that the Emerald magistrates are not doing a proper job of investigating the death of the Emerald Champion (their boss) might look... insulting. Now, Toturi personally might not care as EC, but the optics matter a whole lot, especially with the the Lion on the rise and the Scorpion ruling the courts.

Frankly, Crane need allies before they step up and make any public proclamations.

Also, Kuwanan is short sighted, because Hotaru is trying to make sure their clan doesn't die of starvation or is wiped out, which is of higher importance than boo hoo daddy died.

Do we know how long Hotaru has been Champ exactly?

Just now, Horvagab said:

Hotaru assumed the role as Clan Champion of the Crane about a year-and-a-half ago, when Satsume finally stepped down (at the urging of Kakita Yoshi and Kakita Toshimoko) to focus on a being a full-time EC.

1 hour ago, Horvagab said:

Too long.

10 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Too long.

Or not long enough depending on your stance on how far you want the Crane to fall. That's a nice statue you are shipping out little miss, sure would be a shame if some mercenaries you hired were to mention to some pirates where they could ambush you and steal it.

2 hours ago, Horvagab said:

Also, Kuwanan is short sighted, because Hotaru is trying to make sure their clan doesn't die of starvation or is wiped out, which is of higher importance than boo hoo daddy  died  .

Maybe, though if I was Kuwanan and I thought most of the Crane clan's current woes were caused by external manipulation I'd argue that I'm attacking the source rather than treating the symptoms.

The only one of Satsume's children who's right is Shizue. The other two dealing with their daddy issues in their own way to the detriment of the clan. Which is fine, cuz hopefully everyone's starting off at a low point to rise above.

16 hours ago, Horvagab said:

Frankly, Crane need allies before they step up and make any public proclamations.

Well let's see, Lion hate them because they want Toshi Ranbo back.

Phoenix just married one of their elite to the Lion Champion/Emerald Champion, and clearly are paranoid of Lion invasion while they're vulnerable...they're not going to provoke the Lion or give them any excuse to attack.

Crab were snubbed by Yoshi on their requests for aid, plus the ongoing spat over the Yasuki means no love lost there.

Scorpion might be Hotaru's ally of choice, but Yoshi is less likely to agree because of court power struggles, and they're a leading suspect in Kuwanan's investigation, so they're out.

Dragon are...missing? Going somewhere? Went on spiritual retreat?

So really Crane's *only* option for an ally is Unicorn. Lucky for them, Lion just decided to make a critical mistake and open a second front by attacking Unicorn lands...

Crane allying with Unicorn also makes a Phoenix/Crane military alliance less likely considering Phoenix's stance on meishodo. Dragon also seemed to lean toward a Unicorn alliance rather than a Phoenix alliance so if lines were drawn I guess Dragon would fall inside Crane's pool of allies, but not sure how much a Dragon alliance matters considering the Dragon's tendencies.

Edited by phillos
2 hours ago, phillos said:

Crane allying with Unicorn also makes a Phoenix/Crane military alliance less likely considering Phoenix's stance on meishodo. Dragon also seemed to lean toward a Unicorn alliance rather than a Phoenix alliance so if lines were drawn I guess Dragon would fall inside Crane's pool of allies, but not sure how much a Dragon alliance matters considering the Dragon's tendencies.

It's a possibility, but Dragon seem to be suddenly occupied with...something. Also they seemed to still be debating between Unicorn and Phoenix alliances in their release fiction. If Perfect Land Sect proves to be the trouble they're foreshadowed to be, that might be enough to tip them in favor of Phoenix. Not to mention if Unicorn's fight with Lion goes against...whatever Dragon's going to do, that may distance them from the whole conflict as well.

TL;DR Dragon, what the heck you doing?? Need more Dragon fiction!

27 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

It's a possibility, but Dragon seem to be suddenly occupied with...something. Also they seemed to still be debating between Unicorn and Phoenix alliances in their release fiction. If Perfect Land Sect proves to be the trouble they're foreshadowed to be, that might be enough to tip them in favor of Phoenix. Not to mention if Unicorn's fight with Lion goes against...whatever Dragon's going to do, that may distance them from the whole conflict as well.

TL;DR Dragon, what the heck you doing?? Need more Dragon fiction!

We are doing whatever we need to do, exactly when it is needed. Dragons are like wizards in that respect.

Can I second interest in more Dragon fictions? Also more fictions in general. And then if you wanted to add some additional fictions to those.... I swear I'm not a fiction addict... When's that Scorpion book come out?

The only good thing I can say about the lack of fiction- it sure has been easy to keep up to date and not fall behind. With AEG I was up to date and years behind at the same time! :P

I think the practice of grouped pack releases has led to fiction largely hitting us in spurts, rather than at a steady, sustained progression...