new Action "Sprint"

By limelight, in WFRP House Rules

This came up last night when the group battled greenskins on large property. Some were frustrated at becoming so fatigued that they could get to the other groups because they were so far away. Here is my proposed fix...any thoughts?

Sprint
Athletics Check
Difficulty: 1(d) challenge die. If Athletics is trained: 1 Misfortune die instead
Requirements: Disengaged from opponent, must move a minimum of 2 range maneuvers
Character runs at top speed and covers ground quickly

Results
For each success reduce the maneuver by one
2 Boons reduce the maneuver by one
2 Banes add one maneuver
Comet : Gain the Energized condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels sluggish, During your turn you may perform 1 additional maneuver without suffering fatigue)
Chaos Star : Suffer the sluggish condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels energized, During your turn suffer 1 additional fatigue for each maneuver you perform during your turn)
Special : Racial Modifiers: Elves +2 Fortune die, Humans +1 fortune die, Dwarves +1 Misfortune, Halflings +2 misfortune. Also adds misfortune if encumbered.
You may exchange fortune dice: 1 per maneuver

Example 1: Crixus, a dwarf Trollslayer is at extreme distance from saving a townsperson being attacked by a bunch of Snotlings. He is already suffering from 4 fatigue and 2 stress and is 4 into Reckless. He needs to get there quickly, so he uses the Sprint action. He is already disengaged from his foe and makes an Athletics check. He is trained so his pool looks like this: 4 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, 1 black (default), 1 Black (Dwarf--little legs!)...to get from extreme to engaged in one turn requires 7 maneuvers: 3 to go from extreme to long, 2 to go from long to medium, 1 medium to close, 1 close to engaged.
Result: 3 success, 5 boons, 2 banes, comet---also 1 fatigue from the reckless die. At the end of the turn he is engaged with the Snotlings and it cost him 2 maneuvers instead of 7! He suffers 2 fatigue (one from the reckless die, one from the second maneuver + he rolled the comet and thus gains the energized condition for the next 3 rounds.
Example 2: Rolf the human Agent in a 2 conservative and is in the same situation. his pool is: 2 green, 1 blue, 1 purple (not trained), and spends two fortune die.
Results: 2 success, 2 boons, chaos star, 1 delay. Rolf gets there late (moving the initiative or adding two recharges as normal), it takes him 4 maneuvers so he suffers 3 fatigue and because of the chaos star he is winded and suffers the sluggish condition for the next 3 rounds.

Personally, I'm just fine with the Rules-As-Written, and that running the entire length of a longbow's extreme range in a single action should be extremely tiring. That said, clearly you want to change the rules for your group, and it does neither of us any good to argue over whether or not it's needed, so I'll try to restrict my comments to those that are genuinely constructive.

limelight said:

Sprint
Athletics Check
Difficulty: 1(d) challenge die. If Athletics is trained: 1 Misfortune die instead
Requirements: Disengaged from opponent, must move a minimum of 2 range maneuvers

Results
For each success reduce the maneuver by one
2 Boons reduce the maneuver by one
2 Banes add one maneuver
Comet: Gain the Energized condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels sluggish, During your turn you may perform 1 additional maneuver without suffering fatigue)
Chaos Star: Suffer the sluggish condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels energized, During your turn suffer 1 additional fatigue for each maneuver you perform during your turn)
Special: Racial Modifiers: Elves +2 Fortune die, Humans +1 fortune die, Dwarves +1 Misfortune, Halflings +2 misfortune. Also adds misfortune if encumbered.
You may exchange fortune dice: 1 per maneuver

So, working from the assumption that we want/need something like this in the game instead of the current rules, here's what I would change from what you wrote. I would make it a basic action (which may be what you intended) and make a card for it. Then I would tweak it until it followed the normal rules of basic actions as much as possible. Specifically:

• I'd set a default difficulty (probably Easy / 1 Challenge), and not count Athletics twice. If you really want some other boost so skills matter more, you could put in "If Resilience is trained, add 1 Fortune die to this roll" instead of the variable difficulty. Or Coordination, if you think that's more appropriate than Resilience.
  • I'd also be tempted to gut the racial modifiers. I might use the GM's powers to sometimes give Elves and Humans an extra die when running on flat, open ground, but I don't think it's necessary to always give them a bonus. If I'm interpreting your "You may exchange fortune dice: 1 per manuever" line correctly, it seems like you're really giving elves and human a huge boost.
  • I'd give it the typical one hammer and three hammer success lines, instead of an open-ended success roll. Then again, as I said, I prefer a character who runs all the way to extreme in a single round to feel a little pain. So this may just be a YMMV situation.
  • I like the Energized and Sluggish idea a lot, so I'd probably move them to the 2 Boons and 2 Banes lines, so they'll happen more often. (If you really like the idea of having a Chaos Star effect, you could have a twist or sprain that does a single unsoakable wound.)

Should you choose to keep the variable difficulty, I would definitely encourage you to move Energized and Sluggish to the Boons and Banes lines. As proposed, if you've got Athletics, there's zero chance of it winding you, and if you're lacking athletics, there's zero chance of being energized. On the one hand, that seems pretty realistic when looking at it from the lens of modern obesity. But medieval adventurers are probably relatively fit even if they don't have Athletics "trained", and it may be a little harsh on the 23 basic careers that don't have access to Athletics at character creation.

I like your suggestions and I agree, my favorite change was with the sluggish and energized conditions. I simplified the action as follows:

Sprint

Athletics Check
Difficulty: 1(d) challenge die.

Results
One success: Reduce the maneuver by one for each success generated
Three Successes: As Above but recover 1 fatigue
2 Boons Gain the Energized condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels sluggish, During your turn you may perform 1 additional maneuver without suffering fatigue)
2 Banes Suffer the sluggish condition (reads: Brief effect (recharge 3), cancels energized, During your turn suffer 1 additional fatigue for each maneuver you perform during your turn)
Chaos Star : Sprain ankle; suffer 1 wound and add 1 misfortune to all AG checks involving movement.
Special : You may exchange fortune dice: 1/ maneuver

I think this addresses some of the issues

Also, it would be in keeping with the action - and would go a long way from preventing abuse in using it on other maneuvers - to specify that the additional maneuvers must be spent on movement.