Expansion rumors?

By pella91, in Twilight Imperium

On 2/13/2020 at 9:00 PM, Draice said:

How many people would buy just a tile pack to expand the game out to 8 players $20 - $30? I would!
Who would buy individual faction packs for $10 - $15 each? I would!
Who would buy a full expansion for $50 - $60? I would!
There are so many options for FFG to squeeze us for money, and I encourage all of them! Alas - I have to keep my money for now.

To be honest with you, not that I would pass on anything ever made for TI, but frankly its kind of bloated already in particular if you own both TI3 and TI4 which at this point I would imagine most current TI players probably do.

To me TI4 was a really good compromise that took all of the best parts of TI3 and infused them into a single experience with an appropriate heavy hand of streamlining. In a lot of ways its the perfect version of the game. Many of the expansion concept that have been explored in past edition and ultimately eliminated from the current version were cut for pretty good reason.

For example the 7-8 player game. Complete and utter nightmare. I did it once and frankly given a choice between a swift kick in the nuts and a 8 player game, I would take the swift kick. Just an awful experience which effectively took what is already one of the longest games imaginable and extends it by 3 hours with downtimes that could last in excess of an hour towards end game play.

More systems really wouldn't change much in the game, there is already a metric ton of dynamics in the galaxy creation, I mean sure it might be interesting to have some new red tiles for example or perhaps some alternative planet systems but I don't really see that as something missing from the game.

The game already has 17 factions. I have been playing this game for a bloody decade and there are still factions I have never played. Plus the interaction of the factions is already so immensely complex I don't see how adding more would really improve the game in anyway. It's already a bit much.

Distant Suns to, I mean I have added them from Ti3 into Ti4 and frankly it really doesn't do much to improve the game in anyway, what the effect really boils down to is that the game is slower which with TI, anything that makes the game slower is bad. Notably most of the expansion content that was cut from TI4 where very specifically things that made the game slower.

I mean I'm not opposing an expansion, I would certainly buy it, but I don't really see anything that is missing in the game, quite to the contrary, there is too much of it as it is.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:07 AM, BigKahuna said:

To be honest with you, not that I would pass on anything ever made for TI, but frankly its kind of bloated already in particular if you own both TI3 and TI4 which at this point I would imagine most current TI players probably do.

To me TI4 was a really good compromise that took all of the best parts of TI3 and infused them into a single experience with an appropriate heavy hand of streamlining. In a lot of ways its the perfect version of the game. Many of the expansion concept that have been explored in past edition and ultimately eliminated from the current version were cut for pretty good reason.

For example the 7-8 player game. Complete and utter nightmare. I did it once and frankly given a choice between a swift kick in the nuts and a 8 player game, I would take the swift kick. Just an awful experience which effectively took what is already one of the longest games imaginable and extends it by 3 hours with downtimes that could last in excess of an hour towards end game play.

More systems really wouldn't change much in the game, there is already a metric ton of dynamics in the galaxy creation, I mean sure it might be interesting to have some new red tiles for example or perhaps some alternative planet systems but I don't really see that as something missing from the game.

The game already has 17 factions. I have been playing this game for a bloody decade and there are still factions I have never played. Plus the interaction of the factions is already so immensely complex I don't see how adding more would really improve the game in anyway. It's already a bit much.

Distant Suns to, I mean I have added them from Ti3 into Ti4 and frankly it really doesn't do much to improve the game in anyway, what the effect really boils down to is that the game is slower which with TI, anything that makes the game slower is bad. Notably most of the expansion content that was cut from TI4 where very specifically things that made the game slower.

I mean I'm not opposing an expansion, I would certainly buy it, but I don't really see anything that is missing in the game, quite to the contrary, there is too much of it as it is.

Makes sense, but I for one hope that they do make an expansion because there are a lot of things they could do which would make it an instant purchase for almost any TI player, including those who are in the same boat as you. We'll see.

12 hours ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

Makes sense, but I for one hope that they do make an expansion because there are a lot of things they could do which would make it an instant purchase for almost any TI player, including those who are in the same boat as you. We'll see.

Yeah don't doubt it, if they made an expansion, I would be first in line for it no matter what it is.

For me personally if Fantasy Flight Games wants to do something for the fans, the loyalist that have been playing this game for decades. I vote for a collectors edition like they did for War of the Ring. I would hand over my first born guilt free for that, he's 15, he's had a good run, I'll miss him, but definitely worth it.

Edited by BigKahuna