Expansion rumors?

By pella91, in Twilight Imperium

Goodmorning everybody,

do anyone know if theres some rumors, information or hint that an expansion is actually on development? What if TI4 was designed as a standalone game?

Seems to me quite strange that we didn see any news about ti4 in almost an year.. maybe it did not sell well?

Also, I expect at least some news about Expansion!

Well, TI3 was designed as a stand alone game and we still got 2 expansions for that.

It was 2 years from the release of TI3 to the first expansion, and 5 years after that till the 2nd.

TI isn’t a wargame that sustains itself on continuous releases, it’s a board game and meant to be self contained. If we get expansions for it it will be when they think they have something good to add to the game, not because “it’s time for another expansion”...

now, a line of TI setting books for their new Genesys RPG is very likely sometime in the next year.

2 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Well, TI3 was designed as a stand alone game and we still got 2 expansions for that.

It was 2 years from the release of TI3 to the first expansion, and 5 years after that till the 2nd.

TI isn’t a wargame that sustains itself on continuous releases, it’s a board game and meant to be self contained. If we get expansions for it it will be when they think they have something good to add to the game, not because “it’s time for another expansion”...

now, a line of TI setting books for their new Genesys RPG is very likely sometime in the next year.

I agree with that.

After years of TI 3.2 always played with all options activated I found TI4 almost perfect. The only things I really need are a "less farmville" objective deck and an improvement of choices in the tecnology tree wich is quite streamlined as it is.

Obviusly I would like to see new races too but i rather have a balaced eight hours supergame than a "runewars: banners of war" with sci-fi falvour

It's possible this has already been commented on, but I believe it is likely there will be an expansion in the future. The Ghosts' wormhole is still showing as "D", yet there is no "C" wormhole. Maybe the creators didn't feel the need to change the design enough to make them have the "C" wormhole, or they were leaving open the option for an expansion. If that is the case, following that train of thought, it is highly likely that an expansion will also involve either a 4th ring, or some other galaxy design to make additional wormholes useful. 6 hexes with wormholes, even if there are planets beside them, would be too crowded in a 3-ring galaxy. Just my two cents.

I'm pretty sure they'll be an expansion to expand to 8 players again.

WHy there will be?
If feels like planet traits mechanics "asks for more". I guess thiss will be combined somehow with distant suns.
for example there will be 3 types of distant suns based on planet trait. So you can control the risk what will happen or not on the planet.

ALso ground invasion in manual says "land ground forces".
As we know, there are no ground forces in the game as unit:)

And also take a look on races sheets. There is special place to insert tanks upgrade.

I guess it's possible. Just seems unlikely, given Christian T. Petersen's exit from the company. It's always been his baby.

I doubt the game had that much volume. But at least they know there's a dedicated set of fans who are sure to pick it up, especially if it's in the much more affordable price range than the base game :)

FFG always admitted that TI is not their bestseller game, but its most important product for them.
Even FFG logo uses same font as TI :D

Wasn't TI their first game released?

AFAIK it was. Christian was cutting paper elements and packaking them into the boxes by himself:D

Even tough this kind of games are designed as a standalone, TI 4 offers a lot of possibilities for expansion. I. E. new races, new technologies, more players (8 players as 3rd edition), new planets and/or anomalities. Maybe the options are not for an expansion per se but there lots of things that can be added to improve the game experience. I am looking forward for expansions!!

We're missing eXploration X here, hello! :)

Also planet traits are underused, lots of design space here.

I just hate that I have been playing TI3 with 8 players for years and now TI4 has only 6 players.
Could really use components for 8 and more exploration tiles for larger set up.

I really do hope they will have an expansion or two, I love playing TI4

On 6/10/2019 at 6:09 PM, theRevBob said:

I just hate that I have been playing TI3 with 8 players for years and now TI4 has only 6 players.
Could really use components for 8 and more exploration tiles for larger set up.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to add hoc something until an 8 player expansion comes out. It’s not like they introduced a bunch of new units, you can just use the old units for 2 players. The old hexes will leave a bit of a gap on the board, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Hardest thing would be creating 2 new tech decks, but since they don’t need to be randomized or hidden or anything, a scanner and printer should sort that.

Anyone up on the rumor that they will announce and expansion at the inflight report Wednesday and it will be on sale at GenCon on Thursday?

On 7/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, flightmaster101 said:

Anyone up on the rumor that they will announce and expansion at the inflight report Wednesday and it will be on sale at GenCon on Thursday?

That report already happened or will happen?
I really want that expansion asap!

5 hours ago, Dreathan said:

That report already happened or will happen?
I really want that expansion asap!

The inflight report is the day before GenCon starts so that puts it at next Wednesday (7/31). The rumors started b/c that’s how the TI4 got released, an announcement before Essen (I think) then it went right on sale at the convention. Could they do the same for the expansion at GenCon? Keep your fingers crossed.

Seems a bit early for an expansion in my oppinion. That said, IF they release one now, I'd be all over it.

The good news is we won't have to wait long to find out if anything will be announced, the bad news is that Christian T. Petersen left the company and its always been rumored that TI has been a losing franchise by comparison to most of the games FFG has made and that Christian effectively developed and released his game as a privilege of his position rather than a wise investment. If its a "money call", without him at the helm, I'm not sure anyone is going to be in a position to push a TI product if the rumors are true. The future of TI is very uncertain, it really depends if FFG and Asmodee consider the TI franchise relevant.

Well that was a bust... 😩

3 hours ago, No1Sciguy said:

Well that was a bust... 😩

They are focusing on franchises that make money and of course on creating franchises. I figured we would see some new board or card games, but if a TI4 expansion was announced I would have been really surprised.

I'd definitely buy it. TI is something so unique to FFG that I hope they continue to support it.

How many people would buy just a tile pack to expand the game out to 8 players $20 - $30? I would!
Who would buy individual faction packs for $10 - $15 each? I would!
Who would buy a full expansion for $50 - $60? I would!
There are so many options for FFG to squeeze us for money, and I encourage all of them! Alas - I have to keep my money for now.