Create decks for 2 players with a one core set

By iAntiz, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend really enjoy this game and we played 10/15 games with the basic clans (Leon and Crane).

We have only one core set and now we want to try other clans (Dragon and Unicorns) and we are having questions regarding the deck building.

On page 18 of the rulesbook there is written (section "Out-of-box Play") that with a Single Core set, dynasty and conflict deck needs minimum 30 cars each and that if we want to build decks for other clans we should use all the clan cards and divide the neutral cards (like in the tutorial) and to use influence points available for the desidered pairings.

What does that mean exactly?

If we use all the card clans and divide the neutral cards we never reach 30 and 30.

Are we allowed to put in the dynasty deck cards from other clans? Or just in the conflict deck?

Edited by iAntiz

The intention is that you do not use the other clan's dynasty cards in your deck.

BUT I'm of the mind that it's your game, so you should use the cards anyway you want in a casual environment when it's just you and your significant other.

Strangely, I have not played this way yet and I only play casually.

Basically, the intent is for you to take one of the lion or crane lists, remove the clan cards from them, and replace them with the clan cards from whatever other clan you want to play. It should be the same number of cards exchanged in every case.

There's definitely not enough cards to build more than two 30/30-card decks, so to play a third clan, you'll have to take apart one of the original two.

You are only able to include cards from another clan in your conflict deck. Each clan's base stronghold gives you 10 influence points to spend on off-clan cards for conflict deck. There are bamboo tick marks in the bottom-right of most conflict cards, which indicate how many influence points it costs to put them in your deck. Usually decks can afford to run 5-8 off-clan conflict cards, so this can help round out your conflict decks and provide some actual deck-building choices. Unfortunately with one core, you won't have really any choice-making for your dynasty decks.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, twinstarbmc said:

On the support page, there's a link to suggested 1-core deck lists. This came out last year for the release tournament. They'll give you a good starting point for single core play.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c0/99/c0995a8d-f56b-45e3-801a-054ec7623494/l5r_suggesteddecklists_b.pdf

The Mix-and-Match of factions using that list are:

Crab Crane Dragon Lion Phoenix Scorpion Unicorn
Crab X X X
Crane X X X
Dragon X X X
Lion X X X
Phoenix X X X
Scorpion X X X
Unicorn X X X

Which is to say: Crab cannot play against Crab (since you only have 1 copy), Crab cannot play against Scorpion (b/c they are splashing Scorpion), and Crab cannot play against Unicorn (b/c Unicorn is splashing Crab). So, each of the following rows can be played together:

Crab Crane Dragon Lion Phoenix
Crane Crab Lion Scorpion Unicorn
Dragon Crab Lion Scorpion Unicorn
Lion Crab Crane Dragon Phoenix
Phoenix Crab Lion Scorpion Unicorn
Scorpion Crane Dragon Phoenix Unicorn
Unicorn Crane Dragon Phoenix Scorpion

Of course, that's just using the provided list and 1 core set. With that list and 2 core sets, you can play any faction against any other. Or, with 1 core set, you can play any faction against any different faction, if you deck-build a little.

Edited by Duciris