Adventures in Azeroth: Warcraft Genesys 1.4

By Johan Marek Phoenix Knight, in Your Settings

I did it! I finally did it!!! I finished my Warcraft conversion for Genesys! Remember when I said that my Lord of the Rings conversion was my biggest one yet? Well, this one blows that out of the water. These 108 pages of content provide pretty much everything you need to play or run a game in the Warcraft universe. As much time and energy as it took to make this, I loved it with my whole heart. This was truly a labor of love, as Warcraft is one of my favorite fantasy universes. I am glad to be able to be the first to bring this wonderful world into Genesys!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eRlO1f_GwG3Il9_o4Stu99BAtEJYjr5y

Please give me as much feedback as you can and let me know any ways you think it could be improved. All feedback is welcome. Also, I want to thank you all for all your wonderful feedback with my prior conversions and for your continued support.

Edit: With version 1.4, I've made some more changes to the document, fixing some mistakes I found and adding yet more talents. I also finished the appendix, which adds options associated with WoW and its expansions such as various new races, rules for Azerite, and examples of the different Legion artifact weapons.

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

Lovely! Now to try it out!

2 hours ago, gurpsgm said:

Lovely! Now to try it out!

I’m running a game in the setting over the summer. I’m really excited to get started!

Looks good, but I'm not sure I would have included all of that data from ROT.

Looks awesome might try to get some players to run though it thanks.

Edited by MirageNinja

Looks really nice. I'll try to give a spin at some point. A few thoughts:

I don't recall Oaths and Corruption being part of Warcraft much.

I think the Genesys gear, equipment and attachment system lends itself well to item enchantments and gem socketting.

Long duration buff/debuffs are a core gameplay feature- perhaps those are something the system could be adapted for in a simple way.

Faction/reputation benefits are quiet a big thing in WoW, perhaps those could be brought in somehow? Maybe access to certain skills or talents only if reputation if high enough.

It would be nice to see a few of short, one-session scenarios that showcase the setting and the system.

4 hours ago, Chimpy said:

Looks really nice. I'll try to give a spin at some point. A few thoughts:

I don't recall Oaths and Corruption being part of Warcraft much.

I think the Genesys gear, equipment and attachment system lends itself well to item enchantments and gem socketting.

Long duration buff/debuffs are a core gameplay feature- perhaps those are something the system could be adapted for in a simple way.

Faction/reputation benefits are quiet a big thing in WoW, perhaps those could be brought in somehow? Maybe access to certain skills or talents only if reputation if high enough.

It would be nice to see a few of short, one-session scenarios that showcase the setting and the system.

Oaths and corruption definitely don’t play a role in WoW, but they do play a big role in the lore of the Warcraft universe. Illidan, Arthas, and Deathwing are all good examples.

I wonder if you could get Oggdude's character creator to work with this Genesys conversion.

1 hour ago, HessianAz said:

I wonder if you could get Oggdude's character creator to work with this Genesys conversion.

Who?

12 hours ago, Chimpy said:

It is important to remember that this is a conversion for the Warcraft universe, not so much the MMO itself. When making this, I didn’t think about the mechanics of WoW, I thought about it’s lore.

As for reputation, while there are not specific rules about it, I do intend to use the idea of it while in gameplay. The game I am going to be running in August will take place in the northern Eastern Kingdoms, and so there will be a lot of groups they can interact with that cancel each other out in a way. For example, while you can try to make allies with the Scarlet Crusade, if the crusaders discover you’ve also been friendly with the Forsaken they will likely decide your head would look better on a spike.

I would love to GM these proposed scenarios if players are interested.

6 hours ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

Who?

Oggdude created a truly excellent character creator for FFGs Star Wars rpgs. It can be found here .

8 hours ago, HessianAz said:

I have tried to make oggudes work for Genesys. For skills, attributes, and equipment, it should work fine. It has quirks when used for Genesys but the biggest problem is that it uses a tree structure for talents instead of they way that Genesys does. Talents and there experience costs would have to be tracked externally to Oggdudes. Right after Genesys was released, Oggdude was asked if was going to make it Genesys compatible. Once he was told what Genesys was, he said that he had no plans to make it fully compatible but was 4+ months ago and he has been quiet on the forums. He visited today after months of absence so maybe things will change. Until then, consider Skyjedi's online character Genesys character generator .

Version 1.1 is up, with some corrections to the previous version, as well as a few new spellcasting-based talents, a new type of mechanical armor, and a new race: the half orc, half ogre Mok’nathal!

This is really nicely put together, and I was waiting to see some Warcraft in Genesys. I agree with a lot of your decisions being based on the Lore rather than WoW.

One curiosity I had was why Humans had distinction by City, but Orcs didn't have any distinction by Clan? For example, Frostwolves not having access to Battlerage, but having a better ability to bond with animals.

1 hour ago, Kaalamity said:

One curiosity I had was why Humans had distinction by City, but Orcs didn't have any distinction by Clan? For example, Frostwolves not having access to Battlerage, but having a better ability to bond with animals.

That is a really good idea! The only issue with that is figuring out some of the differences. Clans like Frostwolves and Dragonmaw are obvious candidates for having different bonuses/starting skills, but what makes the Warsong and Blackrock clans different, mechanically speaking? And then there is the issue of the fact that some of the most unique and interesting clans, like the Shattered Hand, don’t even have a presence on Azeroth. (I’m also fairly certain they are all Fel Orcs at this point.) I would love to make clan distinctions for orcs, but I think I would need a little help on that front.

Long time Horde Player/Roleplayer, so I can atleast help out a little ;) While there aren't many formal Orc Clans left in Azeroth, many of them have attributes derivative of their former clans, and would have different attributes.

I think, for simplicity-sake, 4 Major Orc Clans could be considered to be unique on Azeroth as of the current timeline, and here are some suggestions just off the top of my head:

• Warsong - Probably close to your baseline Orc, now. Free skill ranks in Coercion and maybe even some free weapon skills. Either could be further enhanced by some sort of special ability.
  • Frostwolf - Probably give them some bonuses to Survival/Discipline, and maybe some cold resistance. No access to Battlerage, since they culturally try to fight against it.
  • Blackrock - Bonuses to Smithing/Crafting/Mechanics (whatever skill you think is more prevalent). Resistances to Fire, and maybe even an extra point of Soak.
  • Dragonmaw - Bonuses to Riding/Animal Handling. Some sort of bonuses to breaking in beasts, and attacking from above.

You could additionally add the Mag'har, the uncorrupted Orcs from Draenor, since you also have Broken.

• Mag'har - Bonuses to Discipline/Lore. Some special bonuses to resisting corruption/charm/etc, to represent their resistance to the Legion, or something to represent them sticking to their roots.

Ofcourse, every Clan other than Frostwolf would have access to your original Battlerage ability.

Just a initial shot in the dark, but maybe a useful jumping-off point for you.

If anyone has been following WoW the next expansion War for Azeroth is coming out in about 52 days (post date). Was thinking of creating some of the races. I want your thoughts.

Lightforged Dr aenei
For untold millennia, the Army of the Light waged war against the Burning Legion throughout the Twisting Nether. The Draenei most committed to their long crusade would undergo a ritual to become Lightforged, infusing their bodies with the very essence of the Holy Light. After finally achieving victory on Argus, the Lightforged Draenei have undertaken a new mission: protecting Azeroth from rising threats and helping the Alliance push back against Horde aggression.

Brawn 3, Agility 1, Intellect 2, Cunning 1, Willpower 3, Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 11 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting Experience: 80 XP
Starting Skills: Lightforged Draenei begin with one rank in Light. You still cannot train their Light above rank 2 during character creation.
Light Infused: Once per turn, Lightforged Draenei can suffer 2 strain as an incidental to reduce the difficulty of the next light spell

Void Elves
Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the Void. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, Alleria Windrunner is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance.

Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intellect 1, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 1

Wound Threshold: 9 + Brawn
Starting Skills: Void Elves begin with one rank in Knowledge: Forbidden, You still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Voidsight: When making skill checks, Void Elves remove up to two setback imposed due to darkness.
Fel Mastery: Whenever suffering strain from casting a Fel spell, suffer 1 less strain.

Nightborne Elves
Isolated behind a protective barrier for 10,000 years, the elves of Suramar grew increasingly dependent upon the arcane magic of the Nightwell. To protect this font of power, the leaders of the Nightborne struck a bargain with the Burning Legion that plunged their kingdom into civil war. After fighting for freedom from their demonic masters, the Nightborne seek allies in the Horde to help them reclaim their place in the world.

Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intellect 3, Cunning 2, Willpower 1, Presence 2

Starting Skills: Nightborne Elves begin with one rank in Arcane, you still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Magical Affinity: When casting a damaging arcane spell add 1 extra damage to the result.
Arcane Resistance: Whenever suffering damage from an arcane spell subtract 1 damage from the result.

Highmountain Tauren
Descended from Huln, brave hero of the War of the Ancients, the Highmountain Tauren honor the spirits of earth, river, and sky. Though the Legion invaded their lands and sowed seeds of distrust between them, the tribes of Highmountain stand united once more. At long last they are ready to venture beyond their sacred mountain and stand beside their kin from Kalimdor, lending their nobility and strength to the mighty Horde.

Brawn 4, Agility 1, Intellect 2, Cunning 1, Willpower 2, Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn
Starting Experience: 50 XP
Starting Skills: Highmountain Tauren begin with one rank in Vigilance, you still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Massive: Highmountain Tauren are silhouette 2.
Bull Rush: Spend 3 strain to use a second maneuver and add 1 boost die to your next physical attack.
Rugged Tenacity: Whenever suffering damage from a physical attack, reduce damage by 1.

Whaddya Think?

Edited by ajullyan
On 6/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, Kaalamity said:

Long time Horde Player/Roleplayer, so I can atleast help out a little ;) While there aren't many formal Orc Clans left in Azeroth, many of them have attributes derivative of their former clans, and would have different attributes.

I think, for simplicity-sake, 4 Major Orc Clans could be considered to be unique on Azeroth as of the current timeline, and here are some suggestions just off the top of my head:

• Warsong - Probably close to your baseline Orc, now. Free skill ranks in Coercion and maybe even some free weapon skills. Either could be further enhanced by some sort of special ability.
  • Frostwolf - Probably give them some bonuses to Survival/Discipline, and maybe some cold resistance. No access to Battlerage, since they culturally try to fight against it.
  • Blackrock - Bonuses to Smithing/Crafting/Mechanics (whatever skill you think is more prevalent). Resistances to Fire, and maybe even an extra point of Soak.
  • Dragonmaw - Bonuses to Riding/Animal Handling. Some sort of bonuses to breaking in beasts, and attacking from above.

You could additionally add the Mag'har, the uncorrupted Orcs from Draenor, since you also have Broken.

• Mag'har - Bonuses to Discipline/Lore. Some special bonuses to resisting corruption/charm/etc, to represent their resistance to the Legion, or something to represent them sticking to their roots.

Ofcourse, every Clan other than Frostwolf would have access to your original Battlerage ability.

Just a initial shot in the dark, but maybe a useful jumping-off point for you.

Thanks. I think I might make use of some of this in the next version.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, ajullyan said:

If anyone has been following WoW the next expansion War for Azeroth is coming out in about 52 days (post date). Was thinking of creating some of the races. I want your thoughts.

Lightforged Dr aenei
For untold millennia, the Army of the Light waged war against the Burning Legion throughout the Twisting Nether. The Draenei most committed to their long crusade would undergo a ritual to become Lightforged, infusing their bodies with the very essence of the Holy Light. After finally achieving victory on Argus, the Lightforged Draenei have undertaken a new mission: protecting Azeroth from rising threats and helping the Alliance push back against Horde aggression.

Brawn 3, Agility 1, Intellect 2, Cunning 1, Willpower 3, Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 11 + Brawn
Starting Skills: Lightforged Draenei begin with one rank in Light. You still cannot train their Light above rank 2 during character creation.
Light Infused: Once per turn, Lightforged Draenei can suffer 2 strain as an incidental to reduce the difficulty of the next light spell

Void Elves
Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the Void. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, Alleria Windrunner is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance.

Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intellect 1, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 1

Starting Skills: Void Elves begin with one rank in Knowledge: Forbidden, You still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Voidsight: When making skill checks, Void Elves remove up to two setback imposed due to darkness.
Fel Mastery: Whenever suffering strain from casting a Fel spell, suffer 1 less strain.

Nightborne Elves
Isolated behind a protective barrier for 10,000 years, the elves of Suramar grew increasingly dependent upon the arcane magic of the Nightwell. To protect this font of power, the leaders of the Nightborne struck a bargain with the Burning Legion that plunged their kingdom into civil war. After fighting for freedom from their demonic masters, the Nightborne seek allies in the Horde to help them reclaim their place in the world.

Brawn 2, Agility 2, Intellect 3, Cunning 2, Willpower 1, Presence 2

Starting Skills: Nightborne Elves begin with one rank in Arcane, you still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Magical Affinity: When casting a damaging arcane spell add 1 extra damage to the result.
Arcane Resistance: Whenever suffering damage from an arcane spell subtract 1 damage from the result.

Highmountain Tauren
Descended from Huln, brave hero of the War of the Ancients, the Highmountain Tauren honor the spirits of earth, river, and sky. Though the Legion invaded their lands and sowed seeds of distrust between them, the tribes of Highmountain stand united once more. At long last they are ready to venture beyond their sacred mountain and stand beside their kin from Kalimdor, lending their nobility and strength to the mighty Horde.

Brawn 4, Agility 1, Intellect 2, Cunning 1, Willpower 2, Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn
Starting Experience: 50 XP
Starting Skills: Highmountain Tauren begin with one rank in Vigilance, you still cannot train their skill above rank 2 during character creation.
Massive: Highmountain Tauren are silhouette 2.
Bull Rush: Spend 3 strain to use a second maneuver and add 1 boost die to your next physical attack.
Rugged Tenacity: Whenever suffering damage from a physical attack, reduce damage by 1.

Whaddya Think?

These are pretty well done. My pdf focuses on the time between Warcraft 3 and WoW, so I probably won’t add them in (as they were all either undiscovered or nonexistent at that point) but feel free to use this for your own stuff.

One caveat: Void Elves Use Void/Shadow magic, which mechanically speaking is the Light skill with the Dark Insight talent. Fel and Shadow are two very different powers (different enough that Sargeras bound himself to Fel energies in order to defeat the Void).

This is... awesome. :)

Just had to say it. I really want to try this game out. It's so encouraging and inspiring to see things like this, gives me inspiration to be creative and work on something myself.

So thank you for sharing.

I just wish I could understand the GM Binder thing to use it myself but I don't understand how to use it and there is no tutorial video of it anywhere.

Edited by Stacie_GmrGrl
1 hour ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

This is... awesome. :)

Just had to say it. I really want to try this game out. It's so encouraging and inspiring to see things like this, gives me inspiration to be creative and work on something myself.

So thank you for sharing.

I just wish I could understand the GM Binder thing to use it myself but I don't understand how to use it and there is no tutorial video of it anywhere.

Thanks! I’m glad my work has inspired you!

GM Binder is a lot simpler than it looks if you cheat. ;)

There is a Genesys conversion thing for GM Binder on the Genesys Master Resources List, and I just use that to get the layout right.

This is freaking amazing! Well done! **Clap Clap Clap**

Just now, Mathadar said:

This is freaking amazing! Well done! **Clap Clap Clap**

Thanks!

Sr. I am GMing a campaign with Aventures in Azeroth. So far it has been amazing (5 long sessions). Changed the Lordaeron Talent from Undead to Orc but it will change eventualy as the events of WCIII unfold.

Besides the Dalaran Wizard one shoting an encounter we didn't got any problem. I needed to handwave a few creatures now and then, players are never satisfied with bestiaries.

5 minutes ago, The Guz said:

Sr. I am GMing a campaign with Aventures in Azeroth. So far it has been amazing (5 long sessions). Changed the Lordaeron Talent from Undead to Orc but it will change eventualy as the events of WCIII unfold.

Besides the Dalaran Wizard one shoting an encounter we didn't got any problem. I needed to handwave a few creatures now and then, players are never satisfied with bestiaries.

Glad to hear things are going well!

This is a really solid setting you converted. Thanks for sharing it.