Adventures in Azeroth: Warcraft Genesys 1.4

By Johan Marek Phoenix Knight, in Your Settings

What was your reasoning for having the Worgen change be uncontrolled? Why not just allow it to work like the shapeshifting talent in the Genesys core book (I forget the name and don't have it in front of me). In the cinematics Greymane seems to be pretty well in control of his and uses it to his advantage.

11 minutes ago, WillisRBC said:

What was your reasoning for having the Worgen change be uncontrolled? Why not just allow it to work like the shapeshifting talent in the Genesys core book (I forget the name and don't have it in front of me). In the cinematics Greymane seems to be pretty well in control of his and uses it to his advantage.

Adventures in Azeroth is placed mostly during the events after Warcraft III and before WoW. The reason why Greymane can control himself is because the Night Elves did a ritual with the Scythe of Elune during Cataclysm that gave the Worgen control of themselves again. Before that (and thus during the time period of this setting) the change was uncontrolled. If you want to play a game that takes place after Cataclysm, then I would suggest removing the uncontrolled nature of the change, but any games that take place beforehand should keep it there.

Ah, very well thought out answer. Thanks!

Just now, WillisRBC said:

Ah, very well thought out answer. Thanks!

You’re welcome!

What about class restrictions by race and faction, like it was (more strictly than now) when WoW launched?

Also, can't get the download to work on my phone. Crud...

Edited by WillisRBC
15 minutes ago, WillisRBC said:

What about class restrictions by race and faction, like it was (more strictly than now) when WoW launched?

Also, can't get the download to work on my phone. Crud...

I leave it up to the GM. When I am GMing though, I put the narrative above all else. If the player has a good narrative reason for it, then why not? I just started a campaign recently in which one of the characters is a Worgen Paladin who uses her devotion to the Light to control her more savage nature. It seemed like a really fascinating idea and it has turned out really well so far, even though in WoW Worgen can’t be Paladins.

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

One more question. You describe the types of magic, but you don't list if there are any that they specifically can or cannot do (that I see). Is that an oversight or can every type of magic cast every spell, with the exception of the two new spells in your book?

I understand the reasoning if so as most spellcasting classes in the game have at least some sort of buff, defense, attack, and debuff spell.

And sorry to bombard you with questions. Gonna run a game for my wife and son and want to make sure I have all of my ideas working before we start...

Edited by WillisRBC
44 minutes ago, WillisRBC said:

One more question. You describe the types of magic, but you don't list if there are any that they specifically can or cannot do (that I see). Is that an oversight or can every type of magic cast every spell, with the exception of the two new spells in your book?

I understand the reasoning if so as most spellcasting classes in the game have at least some sort of buff, defense, attack, and debuff spell.

And sorry to bombard you with questions. Gonna run a game for my wife and son and want to make sure I have all of my ideas working before we start...

They are listed at the beginning of the Magic section under the heading “Magic Skills” on page 74.

Version 1.2 is now up! I've had a bit of a hiatus from setting creation to play & GM more, but since I am doing another Warcraft campaign soon I decided to come back and make some edits and fixes to this document that I've been meaning to for a while. I mostly just fixed a couple mistakes and added a bunch of talents. I hope you enjoy it!

I’m currently working on an Appendix, which will add new races & rules specific to things introduced to the lore during the course of World of Warcraft and its various expansions.

Version 1.3 is now up, and it includes an appendix, adding a ton of additional races, as well as rules for Azerite.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

I’m currently working on an Appendix, which will add new races & rules specific to things introduced to the lore during the course of World of Warcraft and its various expansions.

Ace, that sounds great!

Version 1.4 is now up and the appendix is finished. This should be it for this pdf, at least until WoW releases another expansion.

So I have a question. I'm wanting to make a Darkspear Shadow Hunter . What magic skill do you see them using?

I see them utilizing Hexes, Heals, and Lightning Bolts. It makes sense for them to use the standard Priest skill utilizing Will. Now obviously, a Darkspear Troll's Willpower is a 1! EEK!

Do we just give them access to the Priest spells, but tie their ability to Cunning? That seems the most logical to me.

Thank you so much for this!

Question, in a future, will you expand material or craftman lists?

Thanks and epic work!

PS: Anyone knows about a SW to Genesys conversion? Thanks!

On 5/6/2020 at 1:43 AM, Josep Maria said:

Thank you so much for this!

Question, in a future, will you expand material or craftman lists?

Thanks and epic work!

PS: Anyone knows about a SW to Genesys conversion? Thanks!

I might be expanding materials and craftsmanship lists if Shadowlands and other future expansions introduce interesting or unique materials for making weapons.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, Kohler Fagan said:

So I have a question. I'm wanting to make a Darkspear Shadow Hunter . What magic skill do you see them using?

I see them utilizing Hexes, Heals, and Lightning Bolts. It makes sense for them to use the standard Priest skill utilizing Will. Now obviously, a Darkspear Troll's Willpower is a 1! EEK!

Do we just give them access to the Priest spells, but tie their ability to Cunning? That seems the most logical to me.

Shadow Hunters and Witch Doctors are in an interesting position. You could play them like a shadow priest, which would be the Light skill and the Dark Insight talent, or you could play them as a shaman (which, since you mention lightning bolts, seems like the route you are leaning towards). In the shaman case, you can just choose the Elemental skill, which is already Cunning-based.

Thanks! And about materials like Thorium and other ones from old expansions?

Take care and please and if its possible to aid you just say it ;)

19 hours ago, Josep Maria said:

Thanks! And about materials like Thorium and other ones from old expansions?

Take care and please and if its possible to aid you just say it ;)

I've thought about it, but Thorium and Elementium and Mithril and a bunch of other metals are basically the same from a mechanical standpoint. Not much I could do to differentiate them. They are all just nigh-indestructible.

Another doubt, do you have any idea about future updates or expansions? Thanks!

This is cool! Wondering what do you think of adding deathknights and demon hunters into the book as like “expansions”/“supplements”?

6 hours ago, Von3679 said:

This is cool! Wondering what do you think of adding deathknights and demon hunters into the book as like “expansions”/“supplements”?

Page 97 and 105 ;)

1 hour ago, Josep Maria said:

Page 97 and 105 ;)

Whoops i meant as player characters XD

38 minutes ago, Von3679 said:

Whoops i meant as player characters XD

Oops you mean talents ok XD There are some good talents that can "emulate" those "classes", but yes,it can be pretty good idea. But remember that in Genesys initial class only means what initial class skills you got.

Hope it helped ;)

9 hours ago, Von3679 said:

In the career section I talk about how you can edit the existing careers to emulate specific types of people you find on Azeroth. A Deathknight is basically a Warrior, but you trade out Leadership and Brawl for Arcane & Knowledge (Forbidden). You would also need the Dark Insight talent to turn that Arcane into necromancy, and if you really wanted, you could talk with your GM about having an edited variant of the Cursed Runeblade (pg 68), since those are the iconic weapons of a Deathknight (or just a sword with Orb of Frost, Orb of Shadow, or Orb of Venom). A Demon Hunter would be similar to Rogue, but you would switch out the Charm, Cool, Streetwise, and Skulduggery with Fel, Knowledge (Forbidden), Perception, and Vigilance, and of course you would be wielding two warglaives.