Speculation: Android CCG will return, sans Netrunner

By Vertrucio, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

19 hours ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I was being facetious about WotC making FFG making a game, BTW.

Tone is hard to read in text.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:20 AM, Grimwalker said:

I’d think you of all people would be over the moon at the Keyforge announcement. All preconstructed decks, newbie friendly, no deckbuilding, no card pool, every game is on the ground floor because that’s the only floor there is.

Well there is going to be some sort of meta, thing is you going to have one faction be stronger and all decks contain that faction are going to have to start with the handicaps.

But yeah this might be the sign that competitive LCGs are dead.

18 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Well there is going to be some sort of meta, thing is you going to have one faction be stronger and all decks contain that faction are going to have to start with the handicaps.

But yeah this might be the sign that competitive LCGs are dead.

Keyforge is actually a CCG, except it is no longer one card you collect, instead an entire deck. Why sell a pack of cards when you can get them to buy a whole deck?

LCGs struggle and die because they don't have good entry points. The success of the GoT starter decks is a bigger indicator if LCGs are going to have staying power.

17 minutes ago, Mep said:

Keyforge is actually a CCG, except it is no longer one card you collect, instead an entire deck. Why sell a pack of cards when you can get them to buy a whole deck?

LCGs struggle and die because they don't have good entry points. The success of the GoT starter decks is a bigger indicator if LCGs are going to have staying power.

Well yeah, I know Keyforge is not an LCG, which shows FFG turning to other formats for their CCGs that is not LCG. Keyforge is closer to MtG than Hearthstone (that one being a video game) but it is not a Trading Card Game (TCG) as there is no trading.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:57 PM, Mep said:

Number of LCGs that actually *have* died for not having "good entry points" = Zero. AGOT first edition would have been broken by rotation, Star Wars was cannibalized by Destiny, Conquest and Netrunner fell to licensing issues that had nothing to do with the game.

But Mep has never been one to let reality intrude on his fantasy.

15 hours ago, Grimwalker said:

Number of LCGs that actually *have* died for not having "good entry points" = Zero. AGOT first edition would have been broken by rotation, Star Wars was cannibalized by Destiny, Conquest and Netrunner fell to licensing issues that had nothing to do with the game.

But Mep has never been one to let reality intrude on his fantasy.

Yep, I am sure those two years of declining sales of Netrunner didn't cause the business decision to not renew the license. If the money is there, that license is renewed. The Star Wars LCG as dead in the water before Destiny. Destiny was the replacement product.

FFG is clearly trying out new ways to do card games, be it the card and dice route, or the unique deck route, or the co-op LCG route that is a buy as you go so the entry point is very easy to get into. I am sure will see clan starter decks next year for L5R once they get the card pool up. Even then they are mixing it up with L5R in how they deliver the new pack. Pretty obvious to anyone with intelligence that FFG is rethinking how they do their card games since their old methods weren't working for them.

21 hours ago, Mep said:

since their old methods weren't working for them.

If it wasn't working they would not do it since like ... 2011??

48 minutes ago, Hellvlad said:

If it wasn't working they would not do it since like ... 2011??

They are changing many things with their LCGs. That doesn't mean they are getting rid of them altogether.

I think for further Android products we should take a look at what the next edition of Arkham Horror Board game is. After all Arkham horror took many inspiration from Android which was a minicard salad game. The whole modular locations would be perfect for cities or corp layouts.

And here I was thinking I might try getting in to Netrunner. Ah well.

Edited by HenrySpock